+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    I don't think you would be fined for going 3km over in an 80 zone. A friend of mine's husband is a police officer. He always says there is a known margin error with speed cameras and they won't issue fines a certain percentage over the speed limit.

*****disclaimer - this may only apply to the hand held cameras and not fixed ****
    Your information is incorrect. The margin in Vic is + or - 2kph for digital devices and all camera cars are fitted with digital devices. Camera cars and fixed cameras do not exercise discretion, the fine is issued based on the speed and being able to identify the registration. The 'percentage over' is also a myth. In an intercept, discretion may be exercised for very minor offences however don't count on it, especially if the driver has a history of traffic offending or there are other factors involved, such as in blackspots or peak traffic/holiday times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure about the brand you mentioned but Ford and Holden certainly don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Do they have a visible flash at night.
    Dh was driving home from our anniversary date and we went past a camera he realised he was doing 83 in a 80 zone.
    We have never got a camera ticket before so I have no idea if he actually got caught iykim. We both are super careful with our speed.
    SA has been using infra red (no flash) since late 2014 and Vic have been using infra red since 2012. Depends on how new the equipment in the camera car is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelove View Post
    My understanding was that it was almost all cars after around 2005. It's been out on all of the newer cars I've driven and all of the fleet vehicles at DH's work (ranging from toyato, vw, great wall, mazda)... But maybe certain cars don't? I alwsys check the speedo of any vehicle against the GPS speed as it more accurate as it calculates your speed based on GPS location every 10 miliseconds, rather than on wheel rotation and the manufacturers settings as the speedo does. I was told this by someone who is a top level auditor of auto safety, they said the manufacturers sweet the speedos out like that to reduce the incidence of tickets and accidents for their vehicles so that they had a safer image in the public eye.
    Case law where speed tickets were contested based on GPS have not been successful. GPS reading vs speedo or speed detection device reading is not accepted as a valid excuse for speeding either during intercept or at court. GPS is an average, not a constant reading. Go by your speedo, you'd have better luck that way as a vehicle can be tested and a manufacturer held accountable for any serious flaws in speed display accuracy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I go through 3 fixed speed camera points on the way to and from work every work every day (6 times total per day), and numerous other fixed speed camera points through the week, so literally thousands of times over the past few years since I've had my car. I've always gone through them at GPS speed (so 88 by my speedo in an 80 zone), and have never once received a ticket. So I know for ME that going by GPS speed works.

I would encourage everyone to have their speedo checked and cailbrated regularly as something as simple as changing tyres can put it out, for example if you change tyre size.

The best bet is to always exercise caution, and make themselves familiar with the vehicle their driving, which everyone should be doing on the roads anyway.

Anyway, bowing out as I just don't have the emotional energy to argue at the moment. Was just trying to provide the OP with some reassurance.

Carry on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go through 3 fixed speed camera points on the way to and from work every work every day (6 times total per day), and numerous other fixed speed camera points through the week, so literally thousands of times over the past few years since I've had my car. I've always gone through them at GPS speed (so 88 by my speedo in an 80 zone), and have never once received a ticket. So I know for ME that going by GPS speed works.

I would encourage everyone to have their speedo checked and cailbrated regularly as something as simple as changing tyres can put it out, for example if you change tyre size.

The best bet is to always exercise caution, and make themselves familiar with the vehicle their driving, which everyone should be doing on the roads anyway.

Anyway, bowing out as I just don't have the emotional energy to argue at the moment. Was just trying to provide the OP with some reassurance.

Carry on!
    Glad that works for you. No dramas or argument from this end... I'd rather see mummas spend their hard-earned on their kids rather than a speeding ticket due to being misinformed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted
    Last edited by littlelove; 12-04-2015 at 10:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Seriously, please just stop quoting me and let it go. As I said, I don't have the emotional capacity for arguments, or taking personal jibes, at the moment. I'm on my own with a teething toddler as DH has to work today and I'm pretty sure my imminent miscarriage is on its way. I'm already in tears and don't need a stranger on the net having a go at me too, when I was just trying to help and had received my info from a very reliable source.

Eta - sorry your thread got derailed lovelives here. Fingers crossed you're in the clear x
    Hugs hun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seriously, please just stop quoting me and let it go. As I said, I don't have the emotional capacity for arguments, or taking personal jibes, at the moment. I'm on my own with a teething toddler as DH has to work today and I'm pretty sure my imminent miscarriage is on its way. I'm already in tears and don't need a stranger on the net having a go at me too, when I was just trying to help and had received my info from a very reliable source.

Eta - sorry your thread got derailed lovelives here. Fingers crossed you're in the clear x
    Sending my love littlelove xxx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Carry on!
    I agree, we bought a new Toyoto Kluger in 2011 and the speedo was most definitely out. We got it checked and recalibrated with Toyota. It was out by 8ks.