+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Thank you. I often lay awake in the night just overwhelmed with guilt about what my family has to go through because of me. I worry so much that this whole experience is going to royally fu(k them up but then they say or do something and I have hope that we'll get through to the other side.
    Can I tell you something. My parents did a pretty average job raising me and look I love my parents and I know they did the best job they knew how. Obviously you are not my parents and this is not your fault. But I did a lot of dumb things growing up because of how I was raised. I got myself into lots of really stupid situations and I had a lot of issues I had to work through.

But you know what when I put myself next to my peers now I am more self-sufficient. I mean yeah I can be a bit of a hard a$$ but I had to become tough to deal with all the stuff life threw at me. Trust me this story is going somewhere. I got knocked down so much so many times I learnt to be stronger and more confident and I'm happy now.

You should not at all feel guilty in your position because there is nothing you have done to cause this. You just simply got the dud end of a deal that no one should have to experience. As hard as it is and as bad as you feel don't ever blame yourself because it's adversity that builds character. It builds empathy and it builds strength. If your kids went through life without ever knowing struggle they wouldn't have as much self sufficiency.

I know it's so annoying when people say there's a silver lining but your situation is in no way your fault and your kids know that. Inspite of it all you are still managing to raise them with open loving hearts. You are a great Mum and the fact you even think that shows it. As long as I've known you've always been a good mum you being sick doesn't change that.

One of my favourite saying is "Throw dirt on me and grow a wild flower."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Chords View Post
    It's so so amazing how much a change in teachers can have. When my little man went into prep last year his teacher was constantly stressed about his lack of attention. Sending home blow by blow behavioural reports every day. Working on a 3 peg shaming punishment system. She readily admitted he wasn't naughty just curious and couldn't sit still but the more pressure she put on him the behavioural problems started and they snow balled. They were even suggesting at 4/5 I put him on dexamphetamine. I was like no way I am not giving my son a normal boy of his age a pill that says there is something wrong and abnormal about you here's a pill to confirm it's you that are the problem. I told them to bin the report. Now in grade 1 he is just turned 6 and reading at a 9 year old level and new teacher says he's not that big a problem. If he gets restless she sends him away to sit in the other classroom and he comes back and finishes his work. It's amazing what a great teacher can encourage… Maybe more so the right teacher for the right child. I'm so glad to hear your boy is doing so well now. I get the little things you mention and totally a proud Mum moment you got there.
    Isn't it amazing what a huge difference a teacher can make in a child's life. Your d's sounds like mine his teacher this year is like last year's all about finding the positives in a student and encouraging them not putting them down. She has written up a special program for him to help him stay focused in class, try things by himself before asking for help and making him responsible for his actions. She has realized so quickly that he responds to positive re enforcement not being yelled and and told he is stupid as would any student. She also got him back into the literacy program even though he didn't have the funding to still be there this year she fought off her own back to get him back into the program and his progress is proof that he deserves to be there.
    So glad your boy is doing so well also after a bad first year. Very proud mumma moments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    That's actually really fascinating. When I was pregnant with my last child he ended up being breech. I tried everything before I just gave up and birthed him breech anyway. One of the things we did was go to this ex midwife who did cranial sacral. She was like feeling around doing her thing with that weird headset haha. And then she's like there's two babies in here… Not exactly the thing you wanna hear 8 months in with your 3rd child and you've had a difficult time raising two children diagnosed with add and one with severe food intolerance. I just about fell off the bed haha.

I was like no no no way not twins. They asked me how many scans I had and then I was like Oh you know I had a scan at about 5/6 weeks that showed one sac that didn't form and was starting to reabsorb. I definitely didn't have twins but the midwife said he was lying in a classic town lie and there was so much room in my uterus but he wasn't budging. I sometimes wonder if he had some kind of subconscious feeling still of being a twin.

Do your boys have that weird spiritual unspoken connection a lot of people talk about?
    Oh i can imagine what you would have been like when she said that to you!
    We found out there were two sacs very early on (5.5 weeks) I was in ED with what they suspected was a kidney infection. The u/s lady was like "uhm, you have two sacs in your uterus, it is very likely you are carrying twins, but it's too early to say if they will both be viable. I near fell off the bed and DH just had this huge grin on his face

I'm not sure about an unspoken spiritual connection just yet, but they do have an amazing bond and are so loving towards each other (when they aren't fighting lol). One example is when I am in hospital with one twin when their asthma is playing up and they talk to each other on the phone - the one at home will ask the other if he's at hospital and if he's ok - makes my heart melt every time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tamute View Post
    Isn't it amazing what a huge difference a teacher can make in a child's life. Your d's sounds like mine his teacher this year is like last year's all about finding the positives in a student and encouraging them not putting them down. She has written up a special program for him to help him stay focused in class, try things by himself before asking for help and making him responsible for his actions. She has realized so quickly that he responds to positive re enforcement not being yelled and and told he is stupid as would any student. She also got him back into the literacy program even though he didn't have the funding to still be there this year she fought off her own back to get him back into the program and his progress is proof that he deserves to be there.
    So glad your boy is doing so well also after a bad first year. Very proud mumma moments
    That's it exactly I think children are so different and so individual. I have 3 really different kids that I parent differently. On of my kids needs quite a tough love approach because they get so scared they just need that firm push. One needs love and guidance and understanding and a softer touch. The other well haha welllll I just leave him because his personality is the same as mine when he wants to do something he sets his mind to it but can't be told what to do. So I leave him and he usually finds his way to the right path. Thank you though and I get a bit bummed about the education system sometimes so it's so good to hear from another Mumma that there are some great teachers still floating around that haven't been brought down by all the red tape in the system.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

tamute  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabochan View Post
    Oh i can imagine what you would have been like when she said that to you!
    We found out there were two sacs very early on (5.5 weeks) I was in ED with what they suspected was a kidney infection. The u/s lady was like "uhm, you have two sacs in your uterus, it is very likely you are carrying twins, but it's too early to say if they will both be viable. I near fell off the bed and DH just had this huge grin on his face

I'm not sure about an unspoken spiritual connection just yet, but they do have an amazing bond and are so loving towards each other (when they aren't fighting lol). One example is when I am in hospital with one twin when their asthma is playing up and they talk to each other on the phone - the one at home will ask the other if he's at hospital and if he's ok - makes my heart melt every time

Some of the best things in life are surprises. They sound really sweet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

Sabochan  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am extremely proud of my son, 19 , who is an amazing father.

I am extremely proud of my daughter ,17, who has a huge heart and is so thoughtful

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Trusty Chords  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I just say thank you to all you guys that are chatting in this thread. Sometimes I think I suffer from some kind of adult ADHD I get really bored and I just like a good chin wag. It's good to talk about positives. I don't really like to quench my boredom debating but I do like hearing about other people and just happy stuff so thanks guys. You all are really ace

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

Sabochan  (11-04-2015),tamute  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's it exactly I think children are so different and so individual. I have 3 really different kids that I parent differently. On of my kids needs quite a tough love approach because they get so scared they just need that firm push. One needs love and guidance and understanding and a softer touch. The other well haha welllll I just leave him because his personality is the same as mine when he wants to do something he sets his mind to it but can't be told what to do. So I leave him and he usually finds his way to the right path. Thank you though and I get a bit bummed about the education system sometimes so it's so good to hear from another Mumma that there are some great teachers still floating around that haven't been brought down by all the red tape in the system.
    Oh so very true I am already noticing that with ds2 he has so much more confidence and is way more independent then ds1 and he is only 2. Isn't it amazing how different siblings are even though thru have the same genes in them. And yes it is so nice hear other mums who have had the same experience with bad teachers and their kids have come through the other side with a better teacher and excelled beyond our expectations

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tamute For This Useful Post:

Trusty Chords  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 daughters make me prouder every single day! I'm proud of how kind they are, how well they get along, how they help each other out and their beautiful manners.
    We've been at a party all day and only got home, DD1 (8) went upstairs with the younger 3 without me asking her to and organised pj's and got them ready for bed whilst I organised to change her cannula(needle for insulin pump).
    I'll often turn around and see DD1 or DD2 reading to the 2 younger girls or helping DD3 with her reading, writing or sight words!
    I'm so proud about DD3- her OT, ST and kindy teachers all said she wasn't progressing and would struggle with school instead she's powering through everything. She's just blown me away with how well she's doing and how hard she tries to learn!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm proud of my girls for everything (lol a bit sappy), but my eldest has done so well in Physio for her birth injury (erbs palsy), and has been such a trooper through all the tests and X-rays and everything . My youngest is just such a lovely big bubba who lights up all our lives. I'd be lost without them

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post: