Closed Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    It's about time this was implemented IMO. The only exemption from vaccinating should be a medical one. No child will "suffer" so long as the parent/s vaccinate, it's as simple as that.

This should further translate to children attending Day Care, Primary/High School, both Private and Public. Parents shouldn't get any kind of benefits for childcare and no funding should be given to schools for any student that isn't vaccinated with the parent/s instead having to pay the shortfall. That way it doesn't matter what end of the socio economic scale you are.

There should also be transperancy, especially at Day Care/Kindy's etc about the immunisation status of a child. I personally wouldn't want my DD attending one that had unvaccinated children in it (medical exemption accepted). Frankly, why should our taxes have to pay for your unvaccinated child/children to go to Day Care/school etc?
    I was actually coming in here to say exactly this and to add that there should also be medical centres for those that are vaccinated only. So that parents with very young babies who have not yet been vaccinated are able to see a doctor with piece of mind.

This is probably an opinion that will get shot down by many but I don't care. I want the power of knowledge, to know that majority of the environments that I am exposing my baby to are "safe" and he isn't going to be inadvertently exposed. I also want to know if your child and yourself are vaccinated so that again I can make the choice as to whether or not my baby is exposed to you.

If the government bringing in this policy makes more public environments safer for my child than I am all for it.

ETA that I read in one news article that the only exemption they will allow is a religious one. This is a load of bull, the ONLY exemption they should allow is a medical one IMO

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by munchkin275; 11-04-2015 at 14:30.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (13-04-2015),LaDiDah  (11-04-2015),Tinkers  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    someone said this is designed to catch people who are just lazy etc

This already happens, I know because I completely forgot to book my ds in for his 4 year old needles (he's fully vaccinated) and got a dirty letter from centrelink advising me if I didnt have his records updated with a certain time frame (to show he had a c/o or was up to date) it would affect my payments.

Now I get a text from my local health service when the kids are due, MUCH easier as I ring and book when I get the text

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so 100% behind this. I have never understood why this wasn't the case already.

In my home country we have the same system.
    One can choose to not vaxx but society won't support your choice because it is putting your community at risk.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (11-04-2015),TeaM  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with it and think it's a good start and think it should go further to impact wealthier non vaxers.

Every time I read of a tiny child dying that has been too little to vaccinate I feel cold fury. ( Of course NOT at people that can't vaccinate due to medical reasons - I want the majority vaccinated to protect your child). I think it's the governments duty to make sure we as a population are protected from these PREVENTABLE diseases.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (11-04-2015),beebs  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about children who have an anaphylactic reaction to a vaccine? Or other health issues caused by vaccines? Rotashield, the Rotavirus vaccine used in the 90's carried an unacceptable increased risk of intussusception in children (a bowel issue) and was subsequently withdrawn from the market. Fluvax was another, wasn't it linked to the death of a two year old? Yep, here we go: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226441791947.

When these same issues occur (and they most likely will of course - vaccine manufacturers are only human, after all) will the parents who were blackmailed into vaccinating successfully sue the government? Or because the money is a "supplement" and not an essential part of a payment, will it be seen as being an informed choice to vaccinate, and so the risks are accepted by the parent (i.e. no ability to sue). It's an interesting legal question.

I think it's nuts forcing people to medicate for any issue whatsoever. Or to eat a certain way, or have a certain lifestyle - all which are conducive to personal AND societal health, though we seem to have the blinkers on about that! I believe in bodily autonomy - and as guardians for our children, we are gatekeepers for *their* bodily autonomy, for better or worse.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Harriet  (12-04-2015),Ontherun  (12-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't read anything that would suggest that children or babies with medical conditions would fall under the same rules.
    Eg my daughter who had 2 open heart surgeries was unable to have vaxxes at the correct times. These babies like her and others who have legitimate medical reasons I'm sure would be exempt, with proper medical certification.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (11-04-2015),beebs  (12-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Obviously the tiny percentage of those that genuinely can't be vaccinated for medical reasons will be, and should be exempt.

As to bodily autonomy. Where is the balance with the health and well being of everyone else? If not vaxxing only affected the child in question, I would still disagree but accept the parent is making the decision on behalf of their child. But it doesn't just affect that child. It affects the whole community. I would also question the whole bodily autonomy argument in general. Whether you do or don't get your kid's shots done, YOU are deciding on behalf of your child. Therefore either way we are taking their autonomy.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (11-04-2015),atomicmama  (11-04-2015),beebs  (12-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (11-04-2015),littlelove  (11-04-2015),Mokeybear  (11-04-2015),Tamtam  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I think it's nuts forcing people to medicate for any issue whatsoever. Or to eat a certain way, or have a certain lifestyle - all which are conducive to personal AND societal health, though we seem to have the blinkers on about that! I believe in bodily autonomy - and as guardians for our children, we are gatekeepers for *their* bodily autonomy, for better or worse.
    But how far does that stance go? We force children to wear seat belts, restrain them in prams, make them hold our hand when we cross the road.
    Choosing to not vax your child or yourself is comparable in my mind to not putting a seat belt on your child or purposely speeding - you are risking their life and the lives of others.

I don't think that this policy will have much of an impact on the vax situation in Australia but something needs to be done.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (11-04-2015),atomicmama  (11-04-2015),BabyG4  (12-04-2015),beebs  (12-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (11-04-2015),Clementine Grace  (11-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-04-2015),LaDiDah  (11-04-2015),littlelove  (11-04-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (11-04-2015),ScubaGal  (11-04-2015),Tamtam  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have read that it wont stop the FTB A it will only affect the suppliment payment.
    I think its a good starting point but needs to be taken further to ccb payments too
    ETA have read this mornings paper and it seems ccb will also be affected
    Last edited by kezanazz; 12-04-2015 at 09:42.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a good start, but I would much rather something that targeted all demographics because, as PPs have said, many non vaxxers are high income.

The religious exemption is just leaving a rather large loophole. You can object on the grounds of most religions based on your interpretations... or even join the Church Of Conscious Living; a religion created solely to gain religious exemption for non vaxxers.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-04-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast