Closed Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hard to fathom TB being rife in a city like London!! like that actually breaks my head!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Parents who don't vaccinate their children are set to lose FTA after the next...

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    hard to fathom TB being rife in a city like London!! like that actually breaks my head!
    It's because it's such a transient city and they have such a high immigrant population, so loads of people traveling from countries where TB is rife carrying it and bringing it with them.

Eta: I believe there are other parts of Europe with the same issues.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 07-12-2015 at 21:13.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    For me, it's more the traveling unvaccinated than the country, airplanes are like giant tubes of germs! To me the danger is having an unvaccinated child on an incredibly long overseas flight in a giant tube of germs of people where some may be carrying a VPD. That would freak me out! The UK is a developed nation but has rising cases of measles. Our council in London does the second dose of MMR at 18 months due to recent cases and children needing to be protected earlier. They also give the tuberculosis vax to newborns here as it's rife in parts of London.
    Planes are gross in terms of germs...but the person being told to consider these things is someone who watched their newborn go through WC and still chooses not to vax based on fear of the vaccinations. I don't think strangers on a forum are going to convince her of anything more than it being a really bad idea to be honest about being anti vax. I don'tknow what the pp's illness is, but physical or mental...this is probably too much for her right now.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (07-12-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-12-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Planes are gross in terms of germs...but the person being told to consider these things is someone who watched their newborn go through WC and still chooses not to vax based on fear of the vaccinations. I don't think strangers on a forum are going to convince her of anything more than it being a really bad idea to be honest about being anti vax. I don'tknow what the pp's illness is, but physical or mental...this is probably too much for her right now.
    Yeah look I agree. I also don't think I've ever seen Ffrenchie be anything but supportive on this forum. I feel like the point's been made.

I know it's a very incendiary topic and I don't disagree with what many people are saying, but I think it's time to <insert that song from Frozen (the movie that I will never see) here> or begin to speak more generally.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-12-2015),babyno1onboard  (07-12-2015),Cue  (07-12-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-12-2015),misskittyfantastico  (07-12-2015),ScubaGal  (07-12-2015),twinklify  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Agree @harvs
    I am one with the wind and snow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Agree @harvs
    I am one with the wind and snow.
    Isn't it one with the wind and sky?

Shall we fight about that?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    Stuff London, they see TB somewhat often in far north queensland these days as well.

Personally regardless of whether or not you're eligible for benefits, I don't think any unvaccinated (except those for medical reasons) should be allowed in childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yeah look I agree. I also don't think I've ever seen Ffrenchie be anything but supportive on this forum. I feel like the point's been made.

I know it's a very incendiary topic and I don't disagree with what many people are saying, but I think it's time to <insert that song from Frozen (the movie that I will never see) here> or begin to speak more generally.
    Thank you @harvs.

I was bowing out as a few things I was reading was getting hurtful.

We can yell statistics from our pedestals but we have not lived someone's life - someone who may have seen or experienced something that we have not.

We may think it's silly or ridiculous to be terrified of vaccinating but somehow being terrified of spiders is understandable.

Can we not just be more supportive? Try and understand someone's perspective and fear and provide them with support and relevant info (if needed)? Its hard enough to parent without the criticism.

Anyway, bowing out. Need to get some sleep before work tomorrow.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

DT75  (08-12-2015),sunnyflower  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parents who don't vaccinate their children are set to lose FTA after the next...

Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Stuff London, they see TB somewhat often in far north queensland these days as well.

Personally regardless of whether or not you're eligible for benefits, I don't think any unvaccinated (except those for medical reasons) should be allowed in childcare.
    Yup it comes across the border from PNG (where it's rife) into FNQ. I don't think TB in the standard suite of vaccinations for Australian kids. TB isn't as contagious as measles, etc though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm just going to be all up mods butts and report this thread so it can be closed or cleaned or whatever. It seems very uncool to go hammer and tongs in this context.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (07-12-2015),TreeGirl  (07-12-2015),twinklify  (07-12-2015)