Closed Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This gave me a chuckle but is pretty fitting how I see the anti vax arguments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hCLWtEHL8
    Cheeky!!! @delirium I posted that link a few pages ago! ! 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Did you? whoops

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But of course the kicker with this is that even unvaccinated people who get diseases can present in none typical ways. And therefore not be diagnosed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    There is some truth to that in the case of whooping cough, particularly adults who have previously had the vax and think they are ok, they develop the symptoms, think they just have a cold and spread it. I have liaised with public health over 4-5 whooping cough cases in which all were fully vaxxed children for whom vaxxing was ineffective or a different strain, these children spent time in a childcare facility before it was identified. If they are serious this needs to be acknowledged, they need to add adult boosters to the schedule and look at it's effectiveness due to Pertussis mutations.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

delirium  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This gave me a chuckle but is pretty fitting how I see the anti vax arguments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hCLWtEHL8
    haha, the Latex allergy one was good, very fitting - "I might have a latex allergy"!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Parents who don't vaccinate their children are set to lose FTA after the next...

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No one I've ever met has ever been on the dole forever for no reason, only genuine reasons for short times while they are looking for work. Maybe it's time you got some new acquaintances.
    You obviously haven't meant my brother in law... Unfortunately I didn't get to pick him ... (Or the mil either but that's another thread!)

Edit: just realised the BIL is a non vaxxer - believes Sept 11 was a conspiracy too. Has also been known to smoke the odd bit of weed which may have something to do with his poor choices (not sure if he still does).
    Last edited by VicPark; 13-04-2015 at 19:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Do you mean adults that have been previously vaxxed for WC and are no longer covered? Therefore not vaxxed?

No vaccine is 100% effective, including this vaxx. Yes there are going to be people it doesn't work for that then get WC. But the success rate for holding immunity is 80%, which is from memory the lowest of all vaxxes, but 80% is still pretty good. I'd much prefer 20% of vaxxed people be not covered than 100% bc no one is vaxxing at all. I fully agree the mutations need to be addressed and they are. It was taken off the free vax register about 3 years back bc it's effectiveness had markedly dropped. That doesn't mean we stop vaxxing our kids. The scientific community are continully working on re-developing the vaccines for the mutations.
    Here's where vaccines and herd immunity really shines tho. When I got whooping cough in the last fortnight I didn't know because I always wheeze when I get a bad cold, and in the meantime I went to my antenatal class and had a baby shower which included nurses, midwives, teachers and other third Tri pregnant women.

A potential perfect storm of transmission if you like.

However because pretty much everyone I know is vaccinated, no one caught it.

Not even my husband who is about as exposed as you can get with me coughing night and day.

Their vaccines protected them and stopped it from going further with potentially very serious consequences.

With higher general levels of vaccination, the 15% for whom the vaccination doesn't provide protection (like me) won't have as much of a risk of getting it or passing it on.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (13-04-2015),beebs  (13-04-2015),delirium  (13-04-2015),lilypily  (13-04-2015),Mrs Tickle  (17-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-04-2015),Tamtam  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Here's where vaccines and herd immunity really shines tho. When I got whooping cough in the last fortnight I didn't know because I always wheeze when I get a bad cold, and in the meantime I went to my antenatal class and had a baby shower which included nurses, midwives, teachers and other third Tri pregnant women.

A potential perfect storm of transmission if you like.

However because pretty much everyone I know is vaccinated, no one caught it.

Not even my husband who is about as exposed as you can get with me coughing night and day.

Their vaccines protected them and stopped it from going further with potentially very serious consequences.

With higher general levels of vaccination, the 15% for whom the vaccination doesn't provide protection (like me) won't have as much of a risk of getting it or passing it on.
    We recently had a few cases of whooping cough at school where I work.
    2 kids. In a school of over 1000. Little kids... Who spread their germs way more than the older ones.
    No one else got it.
    That's a pretty good example too.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (17-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-04-2015),tamute  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have been thinking about this all day. I think hitting payments first was a bad idea.

I have a 5 year plan:
    Year 1- anyone who starts a new job needs to be fully vaccinated, current employees are an employer's decision (except child-related work, that should be mandatory)
    Year 2- all kids attending any care before primary (daycare, preschool, etc) need to be fully vaccinated
    Year 3- all kids attending primary need to be vaccinated
    Year 4- high school
    Year 5- cut CCB/CCR and/or look at other payment cuts

Medical grounds excepted.

This puts the initial pressure on adults, and doesn't affect children, and will hopefully encourage adults to "do the kids while doing us anyway".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    OMG - I think I would die if I had whooping cough and unknowingly exposed myself like that!!!

Your poor thing.

We've had a couple of cases of midwives getting whooping cough and not realising over the years - luckily no babies got sick.
    Yep, it was truly awful. I'm up to date on all my vaccines, I've made a big deal of 'no vax, no visit' in the lead up to the birth and I just couldn't believe it when my GP first rang me and told me the test was positive.

All I could think about was the women from my antenatal class, some of whom had had babies in the days before i came back positive, and my family member who is a midwife working in the postnatal ward. So terrifying, just the worst feeling thinking i might potentially have passed it on.

All i can say is, if you get a persistent cough, that feels like it should turn into a chesty cough but doesn't, ask your GP for a swab.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hear you, I got whooping cough in 2004 while travelling around the UK, planes, trains, tubes - everything. I went to the hospital and they accused me of being a hypochondriac and basically told me to get lost. I had the classic whoop, turning purple with each spell, burst blood vessels in my eyes, vomitting the whole bit - and they still didn't diagnose me. I was diagnosed the day I got home and went to my regular GP - was pretty awful feeling, knowing that I had been backpacking and spreading it around - I was sick for about 9 weeks by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Yep, it was truly awful. I'm up to date on all my vaccines, I've made a big deal of 'no vax, no visit' in the lead up to the birth and I just couldn't believe it when my GP first rang me and told me the test was positive.

All I could think about was the women from my antenatal class, some of whom had had babies in the days before i came back positive, and my family member who is a midwife working in the postnatal ward. So terrifying, just the worst feeling thinking i might potentially have passed it on.

All i can say is, if you get a persistent cough, that feels like it should turn into a chesty cough but doesn't, ask your GP for a swab.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (13-04-2015)