Closed Thread
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I think I've read all the posts on here so sorry if I've missed any, but...

I find this statement from Morrison in the OP's linked article absolutely terrifying:

"We're a free country, and we're for free society, but that doesn't mean you get to take taxpayers' money if you don't want to go along with the rules."

I am staunchly pro-vax, but it's not illegal not to vaccinate! These people (CO specifically) are following the rules!

I would love the government to do something proactive and effective about the terrifying increase in antivax families in Australia, but, yeah, I don't think this is all that it's about.

I find his statement rather revealing and a little terrifying. Isn't he the Minister for Immigration as well?
    He was the immigration minister, he is now the social services minister, he wasn't known for his compassion in the previous role.....

One other thing I think deserves mention is that I think the figures they are promoting are an increase in the number of people who are seeking a conscientious objection form, but that does not necessarily equate to more people not immunising. I think there are just more people registering to meet the 'rules' around childcare and ftb.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-04-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't believe this is "forcing" anyone to vaccinate. It is simply saying that if you want to enjoy the financial benefits of being part of a society, it's also your responsibility to act in the best interests of that society, by vaccinating and providing some protection to other members who are at risk. If you still choose not to vaccinate, no-one is able to force you to.

Equating this issue to a decision about whether or not to circumcise is a complete strawman. Your decision of whether or not to circ has no potential to impact on anyone else's health. Your decision of whether or not to vaxx does. Two totally different situations.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 13-04-2015 at 15:19.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (13-04-2015),Busy-Bee  (13-04-2015),delirium  (13-04-2015),lilypily  (13-04-2015),Meld85  (13-04-2015),munchkin275  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    I don't believe this is "forcing" anyone to vaccinate. It is simply saying that if you want to enjoy the financial benefits of being part of a society, it's also your responsibility to act in the best interests of that society, by vaccinating and providing some protection to other members who are at risk. If you still choose not to vaccinate, no-one is able to force you to.

Equating this issue to a decision about whether or not to circumcise is a complete strawman. Your decision of whether or not to circ has no potential to impact on anyone else's health. Two totally different situations.
    It is forcing parents to choose between their beliefs or money.
    In regards to circ see this thread - http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...risks-100-to-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (13-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    And nothing wrong with that.
    We make such choices every day.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

MermaidMama  (16-04-2015),VicPark  (13-04-2015),waterlily  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are some more laws they are going to have to rewrite as well - from the Australian Immunisation Handbook

For consent to be legally valid, the following elements must be present:

It must be given by a person with legal capacity, and of sufficient intellectual capacity to understand the implications of being vaccinated.
    It must be given voluntarily in the absence of undue pressure, coercion or manipulation.
    It must cover the specific procedure that is to be performed.
    It can only be given after the potential risks and benefits of the relevant vaccine, risks of not having it and any alternative options have been explained to the individual.
    The individual must have sufficient opportunity to seek further details or explanations about the vaccine(s) and/or its administration. The information must be provided in a language or by other means the individual can understand. Where appropriate, an interpreter and/or cultural support person should be involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    And there's that magic word - "choose". People still have autonomy to make the choice for themselves.

As a PP has pointed out, we all have to make choices every day, which often pit our beliefs and/or views against our practical considerations. That's reality!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (13-04-2015),JR03  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    And like you stated..$1200 is negligible to you, so why do you care?? In fact, why do you even need it if it's negligible?? Another case of the wealthier taking advantage and leeching off the back of the taxes of the lower classes!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    And like you stated..$1200 is negligible to you, so why do you care?? In fact, why do you even need it if it's negligible?? Another case of the wealthier taking advantage and leeching off the back of the taxes of the lower classes!!
    We pay far more tax than we get back in any benefits...........one of the reasons I donate is to redistribute the money I don't need (the rebate) to those that do need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Then why apply for any rebates at all?? Maybe it's because all your donations can be used as a tax write off at the end of the finacial yr...
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 13-04-2015 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Then why apply for any rebates at all?? Maybe it's because all your donations can be used as a tax ride off at the end of the finacial yr...
    I don't apply for them, I get them. Why not give it to the needy. If I needed a tax write off I would be more pedantic about my work kms and deductions. But this is off the point......it's not about me.