Closed Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No one I've ever met has ever been on the dole forever for no reason, only genuine reasons for short times while they are looking for work. Maybe it's time you got some new acquaintances.
    I just wanted to pop in and say...my mother is one of 8 kids. All but 2 (my Mum and 1 brother) are drug addicts and have been on the dole their whole lives. They commit violent crimes and still get away with it. One even lives in government flat literally on the beach, next to a home someone paid 3 million $$$ for. My grandmother is dying, and my Mum is the only one looking after her as well as working full time. One sister did pipe up and say they would help care for her and guess what, Nans bank account was cleared out within 3 days.

Im not saying everyone is like this, but i can fully understand the resentment towards these kind of people the PP is outlining. It depends on your experiences i guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post

In many countries the government does not help people financially, and there are people here (not all people) who take government benefits for granted.

I never mentioned pensioners or anything like that but I stand by drug testing as I have seen first hand where my tax dollars are going with him and I do not agree with it.

Obviously not everyone who is on handouts are on drugs, that is just ludicrous.
    Taking away benefits in the end only disadvantages children and can push them further into poverty. They are also not "handouts" they are often helping families survive.

This is my only concern about this new policy, that in the end it could disadvantage children even further if some parents still choose not to vax and loose part of their income.

Btw plenty of wealthy people take drugs.

Tax dollars also aren't a bank account you pay into where you can decide you don't want them to go to a particular thing. They pay for your roads, your local school and hospital, your local health clinic. Your tax dollars are not going to your neighbour.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),HappyBovinexx  (13-04-2015),Hootenanny  (13-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not saying that people like that don't exist. Just they they aren't the majority - even when they are on the dole.

Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I just wanted to pop in and say...my mother is one of 8 kids. All but 2 (my Mum and 1 brother) are drug addicts and have been on the dole their whole lives. They commit violent crimes and still get away with it. One even lives in government flat literally on the beach, next to a home someone paid 3 million $$$ for. My grandmother is dying, and my Mum is the only one looking after her as well as working full time. One sister did pipe up and say they would help care for her and guess what, Nans bank account was cleared out within 3 days.

Im not saying everyone is like this, but i can fully understand the resentment towards these kind of people the PP is outlining. It depends on your experiences i guess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just popping in because it's getting a little heated - please keep posts on topic. I don't want to see it derail further and be closed because it gets out of hand.

Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not saying that people like that don't exist. Just they they aren't the majority - even when they are on the dole.
    And I'll add that while the stories about druggies on the dole getting a free ride are frustrating and infuriating they are anecdotal and do not prove that there is a wide spread drug on welfare problem - which there isn't.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (13-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That just defeats the whole purpose - the Australian (Anti) Vaccination Network - or AVN - just set themselves up as a religion last year, because they knew they could get expeditions that way. Groups shouldn't be just able to make up religions willy nilly to get out of vaxxing.
    I am not sure why you quoted me for this. I was stating that I don't believe that there should be religious exemptions?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if this has been said yet, but it has now been confirmed that both FTBA and all childcare payments will be affected by this. I completely agree with this.

Payments from the government are not a God-given right, they are a privilege. We are lucky to live in a society that helps provide for people. But living in society should also come with responsibilities to the wider community. You cannot just take the benefits but shun your responsibility. If you want to deny your children life-saving vaccines under the banner of freedom or body autonomy (genuine medical issues accepted), do that on your own dime. If you want society to provide you with support, it's completely reasonable for society to ask that you do your bit to stop the spread of VPD.

I haven't wanted to send my baby to childcare because he hasn't had his MMR vaccines yet. Measles are real and scary. There have already been outbreaks in schools. What would happen if there were an outbreak at a childcare centre, where there are babies under 12 months who have not been vaccinated yet? We shouldn't have to worry about these things in our society!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (13-04-2015),calicocat  (13-04-2015),MINIRoo  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I thought you couldn't go to childcare unless you were vaccinated or medically exempt?

Or does conscientious objecting come under that as well?

Here's an idea - why don't they create childcares specifically for the children of conscientious objectors? Children don't miss out their education and other children aren't put at risk.

problem solved!
    Conscientious objectors fall under that. With 90% of children under 5 being vaccinated I don't think there would be enough of a demand for a CO kids only daycare. Lots of non-vaccinating parents homeschool anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    So if the kids are staying at home, then removing childcare benefits is going to be a bit of waste of time........
    Pretty much. Though removing FTA won't be. I feel the estimates of how much they think these families will lose is being widely exaggerated for maximum media air time. Saying the families might lose $15,000 per year per child has more impact than saying $726

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Pretty much. Though removing FTA won't be. I feel the estimates of how much they think these families will lose is being widely exaggerated for maximum media air time. Saying the families might lose $15,000 per year per child has more impact than saying $726
    Agree. I thought FTB A is only around $130-140 per child per fortnight. So that's $3600 a year. You would need 5 kids to get to that figure.

I think the answer is medicare levy on top of ftb. Then everyone is covered.

And I just have to say..... wealthy people can be drug addicts too. They just have the money to cover it up, see private practitioners and they tend statistically to use prescription drugs over street drugs.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015)