Closed Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    Wow!!! That's an over reaction!!!
    There are obviously people who need government benefits, did I say we should abolish these benefits entirely? No, I did not.

I have a neighbor who flaunts his drug use and brags that he is on handouts (while living with his elderly mother). He is perfectly capable of working but does not even attempt to find a job.

It is people like him who I am speaking about, not pensioners or students or carers of disabled etc.

In many countries the government does not help people financially, and there are people here (not all people) who take government benefits for granted.

I never mentioned pensioners or anything like that but I stand by drug testing as I have seen first hand where my tax dollars are going with him and I do not agree with it.

Obviously not everyone who is on handouts are on drugs, that is just ludicrous.
    You're right. Not everyone is routing the system. But people like your neighbour are few and far between and the costs of drug testing everyone receiving money from the government, would be far more expensive than paying the welfare payments of these lazy people you speak of.

The PP was simply pointing out that you have to draw a line somewhere, who do you test, who do you not test? You can't draw that line so there's no point even going there for such a tiny percentage of dodgy people. Again those routing the system may still be drug free too.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),Chunkydunks  (13-04-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are obviously people who need government benefits, did I say we should abolish these benefits entirely? No, I did not.

I have a neighbor who flaunts his drug use and brags that he is on handouts (while living with his elderly mother). He is perfectly capable of working but does not even attempt to find a job.

It is people like him who I am speaking about, not pensioners or students or carers of disabled etc.

In many countries the government does not help people financially, and there are people here (not all people) who take government benefits for granted.

I never mentioned pensioners or anything like that but I stand by drug testing as I have seen first hand where my tax dollars are going with him and I do not agree with it.

Oh I see. So they should only drug test the druggies?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),Busy-Bee  (13-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Oh, I see. You a person with a drug habit and have no idea what's going on his life, what horrible thing that lurks in his past. You have no idea if they have mental illness or chronic pain problem or some other under lying condition. All you see is a person you deem unworthy.

You know what he is worthy. Everyone is worthy. In my opinion more money should be spent on people with drug problem to get the help they need. More hospital and rehab beds more councilors and drug rehab programs. More money spent on research into mental illness drugs.

If you think taking what little money a person on wealth fare gets away will stop the problem than you really need to do some research into drug addiction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm for it but I think they should also be drug testing people to receive benefits.

People rely too much on the government these days.
    You know they tried this in NZ and out of the thousands they tested only a handful tested positive and it was a failed policy. Probably because the majority of people on welfare aren't on drugs.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),delirium  (13-04-2015),Lillynix  (13-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-04-2015),waterlily  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I fail to see how those on welfare or low incomes will be in poverty because of this policy.
    It's simple. .. You will still get your benefits. ...get the vaccinations done.

And of course often policy is more about politics and voters. .. And revenue.... BUT I'm glad to see someone is doing something. .. Or trying to do something about the increased rates of anti vax people.

Ps. . Saw this clip last night and thought it was clever. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hCLWtEHL8
    Hope I'm allowed to post it here.

Thanks
    Reviews

yes but cant say I *really* want australia to turn out like them to be honest, countries where minimum wage of an adult can be as little as 7$ an hour and if you need an ER you will wind up with crippling debt,

the minorities actions should not dictate the control of the majority

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),elleandsam  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

I ate an apple once that was really, really gross.
    All sour and a little bit manky tasting,

I think all apples should be tested before theyre sold, you know just to weed out the bad ones .....

^ that is how irrational you sound.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),elleandsam  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two cents: I support it. The argument that you're punishing the children for the parent's decision works the other way too: the children are currently being punished by their parent's decision by not getting vaccinated! If this sways some of the people who aren't staunch anti vaxxers but people who thought they'd "wait" or "weren't sure" then that's great.
    It probably won't change the minds of the loonies but it's brought the discussion up at every table now from high to low earners and hopefully will have some impact

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KT8 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (13-04-2015),delirium  (13-04-2015),NewMrs  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Can we get back on topic please and stop derailing the thread???

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Ontherun  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well, I have a mother who at 40 became a widow with two young children, and you think it's ok to drug test her? I guarantee you, she has paid her dues to society, but for some reason you think because your "tax" dollars go into the government budget that you have some right to make a call on who deserves what? She also pays tax. I also get carers allowance for my 5 year old son who is on the autism spectrum - who would be the one drug tested? Me or him?

No one I've ever met has ever been on the dole forever for no reason, only genuine reasons for short times while they are looking for work. Maybe it's time you got some new acquaintances.