Closed Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    And there are young babies at childcare who haven't had their full course of vaccinations yet.
    Sorry to derail but welcome back!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I apologise for not reading all of the posts in this thread, because mostly I'm not that interested in participating, because I think that this is just such a multifaceted issues, and I don't think that withholding potentially much needed benefits as a way of getting people to conform to ANY type of agenda, is stupid.

But, I just wanted to say something on this:

I have been hearing lately, from quite a few nurse and midwife friends, that due to the increase in Pertussis cases, and the relatively low efficacy rate (around 80%) of this vaccine, that it is now considered to last at most 8 years, with a recommendation to have boosters between 4-7 years.

Now, I'm not sure if that info is publicised any where on the Government immunisation pamphlets, but this is what some medical peeps I know are being told and what they are now telling their patients when coming in for adult DTPa vaccines.

Just some food for thought on that one
    I've read medical literature that says between 5 -9 years, but to be safe you should have them every 5 years, which I follow. That also means my DS1 is due a booster as he I turning 9 soon.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-04-2015),Lillynix  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I had my booster a the 10 year mark, as that is what I had been told it was (which was a few years ago now), but I now make a point of keeping on top of all my vaccinations. I'm needing to go at get me titres checked to see where I'm at. Thinking I need the Varicella vaccine as I've not had CP, but want to check there's no natural immunity (from being exposed as a child) happening before getting the vaccination. Everything else I should be covered for, but it always pays to check!
    I agree, it always pays to check, I had the sane thing-exposed over and over as a child, everyone thought I had natural immunity. I didn't - ended up getting it only only trip to Italy ever, it was a complete nightmare, lucky we have a reciprocal agreement with them, I ended up being about 4000 out of pocket from missing the tour I was on and having to pay accom in the hotel I was quarantined at, missing flights etc, that was after the insurance payout. Not to mention how ill I was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is exactly what's happening.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1227300104716

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Whats the point? The conscientious objectors will just find a religion that supports their views and become religious objectors instead.
    Time for the government to start waiving religious exemptions.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-04-2015),Little Boys Blue  (13-04-2015),VicPark  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's kind of promising, it said the religious exemptions were only valid for certain approved religions, I'm hoping they crack down on the vaccine religious group (they may all flock to Jehovah's Witness or another religion, but that's another problem).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Read the article in today's Sunday Mail. Religious exemptions are BS and shouldn't be allowed for the reasons many PP's have listed.

Never ceases to amaze me how the anti-vaxxer's of all persuasions (especially the religious) are the first to be lining up for medical care at either a doctor's surgery or ED's at hospitals etc

Such a bunch of bloody hypocrites the whole lot of them!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are there religions that forbid vaccinations?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I understand that this is an issue that is close to your heart, as it is for me as well. But a slight increase (re rotavirus vaxx and intussusception) is not the same as an "unacceptable increased risk". Have you actually read the literature?

Out of 1,301,810 doses of RotaTeq, eight cases of intussusception were reported, but as 7.11 were expected, the relative risk was a nonsignificant 1.1.
    I know it was considered unacceptable by the manufacturer - hence the recall and reformulation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a change.org petition against these changes for anyone interested https://www.change.org/p/minister-sc...coerced-choice

In 1991 <71% of Australian children were fully vaccinated and there were only 347 cases of Whooping Cough, while in 2011 with 90% of children vaccinated, we had 38,751 cases an increase of over 11,000%! How can you blame the 1.8% of unvaccinated children in 2015?

The vaccinated can become asymptomatic transmitters of Whooping Cough and infect young infants, while the dominant strain of Whooping Cough is not even targeted by the vaccine. A study has also linked the Whooping cough outbreaks to vaccinated children and adolescents.
    If raising already high vaccination rates is the purpose of this part of the legislation and the wealthy areas of Australia have the lowest rates, then how does targeting low income families change the vaccination rates of high income families?

We have seen children who have been injured or killed after vaccination in Australia, like Saba Button, Ashley Epapara and Lachlan Neyland and the hundreds of children rushed to hospital during the Fluvax debacle of 2009 . By bringing in punishments for families who choose not to vaccinate you are saying that these children are acceptable collateral damage and that they have less value than children injured or killed by diseases, how would you feel if that was your child?

Our children deserve better than a one size fits all approach to health care, especially when the healthcare products are being produced by a multi-billion dollar industry with a long and sordid history of fraud and deceptive practices. Just look at the industry whistle-blowers who have courageously come out to testify of this fact, such as Dr William Thompson PhD, Dr's Stephen Krahling and Joan Wlochowski and the revelations of Peter Gøtzsche from the Cochrane Collaboration.

If there is a risk there MUST be a choice, ALL parents have the RIGHT and the duty to decide WHICH risk is acceptable to their own families!
    I thought the claims in the first two paragraphs were interesting, I haven't verified them though there are references in the original link. I'm not sure why it says "1.8%" of unvaccinated kids - is it meant to be 10%? It does fit in with scientific data showing the "seasonal" epidemics, or increase of reported cases every 3-4 years regardless of vaccine uptake rates.

I've also read there are strains of whooping cough not covered by vaccines, I wonder if this is proven? I agree with a previous poster who had a good ol' rant about people spreading sickness by attending the workplace while seriously ill, I've also seen (and heard!) very sick bubs at playgroups and libraries over the years. If we are all so terrified of disease, including vaccine preventable disease, why are we not taking more care in spreading them around?