Closed Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I apologise for not reading all of the posts in this thread, because mostly I'm not that interested in participating, because I think that this is just such a multifaceted issues, and I don't think that withholding potentially much needed benefits as a way of getting people to conform to ANY type of agenda, is stupid.

But, I just wanted to say something on this:

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A WC vax for an adult is around $50, hardly expensive, and lasts TEN years. Children are free.
    I have been hearing lately, from quite a few nurse and midwife friends, that due to the increase in Pertussis cases, and the relatively low efficacy rate (around 80%) of this vaccine, that it is now considered to last at most 8 years, with a recommendation to have boosters between 4-7 years.

Now, I'm not sure if that info is publicised any where on the Government immunisation pamphlets, but this is what some medical peeps I know are being told and what they are now telling their patients when coming in for adult DTPa vaccines.

Just some food for thought on that one

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm surprised more anti vaxxers haven't posted. 5 years ago it was FULL of them. @Lillynix I was told 4 years too. When I had my booster I thought I was still safe but my immunity had actually run out, so I ended up catching whooping cough thinking I was safe for 10 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I apologise for not reading all of the posts in this thread, because mostly I'm not that interested in participating, because I think that this is just such a multifaceted issues, and I don't think that withholding potentially much needed benefits as a way of getting people to conform to ANY type of agenda, is stupid.

But, I just wanted to say something on this:

I have been hearing lately, from quite a few nurse and midwife friends, that due to the increase in Pertussis cases, and the relatively low efficacy rate (around 80%) of this vaccine, that it is now considered to last at most 8 years, with a recommendation to have boosters between 4-7 years.

Now, I'm not sure if that info is publicised any where on the Government immunisation pamphlets, but this is what some medical peeps I know are being told and what they are now telling their patients when coming in for adult DTPa vaccines.

I believe your supposed to have the booster every 5 years. We always have at work anyway.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-04-2015),Lillynix  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    That's the thing though, people (including you and me) tend to all have confirmation bias. Also, anti vax "information" is rather clever in the way it simplifies issues, such as correlation, to make it's point, whereas all too often science has a hard time explaining itself and breaking down quite complex ideas into easy to grasp concepts. This is but one way propagandists etc can easily spread misinformation. The trick for the scientific fraternity and governments is to use those same methods but applying real scientific, proven/peer reviewed data and fact. And finally, having a few brochures or posters in the doctors office, doesn't exactly constitute an education campaign. People don't change their closely held beliefs and actions simply on the basis of a poster, it needs to be supported by a range of other things including the "policing" element which I suppose the removal of benefits policy is trying to do.
    Oh yes we all have confirmation bias but once you recognise that you do and start critically thinking about the sources you're reading (what's the agenda of the author of this article? What study has been done to back this up? How big was the cohort? Was it double blind tested? Are the results reproducible? It is factual or is it using emotive language? Etc etc etc)

I wonder how many anti-vaxxers who claim to have "done their research" have actually read anything by a real immunologist.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-04-2015),MsViking  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Interesting. Maybe I should look at getting the kids updated too despite both being well with the 10 years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I believe your supposed to have the booster every 5 years. We always have at work anyway.
    I had my booster a the 10 year mark, as that is what I had been told it was (which was a few years ago now), but I now make a point of keeping on top of all my vaccinations. I'm needing to go at get me titres checked to see where I'm at. Thinking I need the Varicella vaccine as I've not had CP, but want to check there's no natural immunity (from being exposed as a child) happening before getting the vaccination. Everything else I should be covered for, but it always pays to check!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Interesting. Maybe I should look at getting the kids updated too despite both being well with the 10 years.
    Definitely worth checking, I'm not sure if it applies to children as well, mine are all well within the 10 years, and even within the 5, because y'know, I was a pesky delayer of vaccinations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The news this morning was saying the cuts would also be for CCb and CCR
    ccb / ccr I support, childcare is germy and not essential to a childs basic well being, if you dnot vaccinate pay the full fees

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

Frittlebitlazzled  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    ccb / ccr I support, childcare is germy and not essential to a childs basic well being, if you dnot vaccinate pay the full fees
    And there are young babies at childcare who haven't had their full course of vaccinations yet.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely worth checking, I'm not sure if it applies to children as well, mine are all well within the 10 years, and even within the 5, because y'know, I was a pesky delayer of vaccinations
    Im not sure whether its because we work in such close quarters to others (on a ship) that they are extra careful, but its worth checking!