+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby number 2!

Ok so I am 12weeks pregnant and suddenly it has just hit me.. How am I going to cope I have an 18month old already and I'm worried she is going to be left behind.. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try not to worry! It's hard when you're used to just having one to manage, I remember thinking that I was turning DDs life upside down and felt awful. But she has absolutely loved having a little brother and they love each other so much.

My advice is to talk to your child about the baby a lot as you near the end of the pregnancy. Make sure they feel like it's their baby too, not just yours. When baby arrives let them 'help' as much as you can, avoid saying no when they want to hold or touch the baby, and if possible make sure they meet baby before anyone else. Try to keep your older child's routine as normal as possible - Playgroup, swimming, daycare, whatever regular activities you do (recruit family to help if needed).

We were lucky that DD accepted her brother so readily but I think the above helped.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww thank you that's such a reassurance to know me & my husband are so excited & know she will love it but it just hit me like a bullet. I felt guilty thank you though a huge help

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been feeling the same also. I'm 17 weeks pregnant, DD will be two when this bub comes along. DD is my whole world and I don't want her to be put out in anyway. I've been talking to her alot about a baby coming and I've been sorting out the spare room which will become the new babies room and DD will play in there with me and I talk to her about who will be in this room etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There will be times when you can't tend to both at once and someone has to wait or go without. But that's also an important lesson, it's good for them to learn that their wants/needs sometimes have to come second. Once you're through that initial newborn phase you will find your rhythm again and it won't feel as much like you're splitting yourself between the two.

Having a sibling is a great thing for your child, so don't feel bad or guilty! Even if they take a little while to adjust, chances are they will end up loving each other. I feel like DD gets so much out of having her little bro and he just worships her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much so nice to hear stories as I was so worried my husband says no no it'll be ok but I was just worried and had no one to turn to for advice! Thank you again! Scan soon gulp then it will make it all real!