+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default IVF advice - EPU

Hi ladies
    We are currently doing stimming for an ivf cycle. I have an AMH of 27 and was told I'm at risk for over stimming.
    Well turns out my body is doing the opposite. Day 7 scan today showed 2 mature follicles - 16mm & 18mm, and some tiny ones. I was told most likely they will not catch up before retrieval. So basically 2.
    Hubby and I are already struggling with the finances, and now have to choose whether we pay the $600 for EPU with only a small chance of getting something to transfer, or whether we cancel and try again. But who's to say I won't have this response every cycle?
    What would you do?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    we had a very similar experience with my DP.

We actually decided to do an iui instead of IVF, due to the cost mainly. She did fall pregnant, but unfortunately miscarried at 9.5 weeks, but that wasn't related to the iui.

If that is an option (I am not sure of your fertility issues) you could consider it.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We will be doing a new cycle when we can with a new to dp FS (but who I used) and hopefully we will start on a higher dose of FSH and get a better haul of follies. Hopefully you do too x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Just*Ace, so sorry to hear of your predicament and I'm not sure what I would do. But was wondering why they couldn't stim for a couple more days to let the others catch up? My clinic had to do that with me even though in the end we only got 6 eggs, 1 fresh transfer(bfn) and 1 FET - currently MC so we have to fresh stim again and unfortunately we also don't have the funds but I was able to up my credit card limit. In the thread I was in there were ladies that got 9, 12 and even 30 eggs and still only ended up with a couple blastocysts so sometimes it's quality over quantity. One of those 2 could be your baby... But they might not too
    Is it $600 to go ahead or how much if you were to end up cycling again? I guess I'd work it out on risk and funds. If it is a big amount to cancel and start again, I would probably pay the $600 and hope to get lucky with one of those 2. What is DH swimmers like? Whatever you choose, I wish you all the very best. The ivf journey is incredibly hard, take care of yourself x

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Just*Ace I'm sorry things have not gone as well as you had hoped. I had a very similar thing happen during our first cycle. My AMH is 31 so I was expecting a big haul, but I didn't respond very well to the drugs. At our first scan we also had 2 follies and FS gave us 3 options. 1 - cancel the cycle, 2 - convert the cycle to IUI, or 3 - continue and hope for the best. We chose to continue, and by the day of EPU a few more had popped up and we ended up with 5 eggs from that cycle. Like you say, we figured that there was no guarantee that we'd respond any better in the future so we thought we might as well go for it. Unfortunately our embryos are not good quality, and we have had to do a fresh sim every time, but that's a whole other issue!

Actually - every cycle we have done so far, I have ended up with more at EPU than we could see at the first scan. I just seem to start slowly and then pick up a bit later on. Will you have another scan before your planned EPU day to see if there are any more? It might help you to make your decision...

Good luck hun. These choices are not easy ones to make

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replies ladies xox

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    we had a very similar experience with my DP.

We actually decided to do an iui instead of IVF, due to the cost mainly. She did fall pregnant, but unfortunately miscarried at 9.5 weeks, but that wasn't related to the iui.

If that is an option (I am not sure of your fertility issues) you could consider it.
    Our clinic actually charges slightly more for an IUI cycle. I really don't understand it!

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your bub xox

Quote Originally Posted by StillHopeful💕 View Post
    Hi Just*Ace, so sorry to hear of your predicament and I'm not sure what I would do. But was wondering why they couldn't stim for a couple more days to let the others catch up? My clinic had to do that with me even though in the end we only got 6 eggs, 1 fresh transfer(bfn) and 1 FET - currently MC so we have to fresh stim again and unfortunately we also don't have the funds but I was able to up my credit card limit. In the thread I was in there were ladies that got 9, 12 and even 30 eggs and still only ended up with a couple blastocysts so sometimes it's quality over quantity. One of those 2 could be your baby... But they might not too
    Is it $600 to go ahead or how much if you were to end up cycling again? I guess I'd work it out on risk and funds. If it is a big amount to cancel and start again, I would probably pay the $600 and hope to get lucky with one of those 2. What is DH swimmers like? Whatever you choose, I wish you all the very best. The ivf journey is incredibly hard, take care of yourself x
    They don't want to risk trying to let the others catch up just in case they don't grow. They would prefer to just get the 2 rather than wait and get nothing.
    The $600 is to go ahead, DH doesn't have the best swimmers, this will actually be ICSI using frozen sperm.
    I keep reminding myself quality over quantity, it only takes 1 etc but just so scared of how I will be if we do it and up with nothing. But I guess I'll also be miserable if we do nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by MrsChino View Post
    @Just*Ace I'm sorry things have not gone as well as you had hoped. I had a very similar thing happen during our first cycle. My AMH is 31 so I was expecting a big haul, but I didn't respond very well to the drugs. At our first scan we also had 2 follies and FS gave us 3 options. 1 - cancel the cycle, 2 - convert the cycle to IUI, or 3 - continue and hope for the best. We chose to continue, and by the day of EPU a few more had popped up and we ended up with 5 eggs from that cycle. Like you say, we figured that there was no guarantee that we'd respond any better in the future so we thought we might as well go for it. Unfortunately our embryos are not good quality, and we have had to do a fresh sim every time, but that's a whole other issue!

Actually - every cycle we have done so far, I have ended up with more at EPU than we could see at the first scan. I just seem to start slowly and then pick up a bit later on. Will you have another scan before your planned EPU day to see if there are any more? It might help you to make your decision...

Good luck hun. These choices are not easy ones to make
    Thank you your story gives me hope. Tomorrow's blood test will decide whether I get another scan, or if they decide to do EPU Monday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update - well after a completely restless worry filled night, we are going to go through with it. I feel like a horrible mum though, we are already low income and $600 is a decent chunk of money to us. I feel like my poor DD will miss out with us taking this risk I just need to remind myself she has clothes, toys and a warm house, as long as I can still afford groceries then she will be fine...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's natural to feel guilty Hun but I'm sure your daughter knows no different x

I truly hope it works out and there's no need for anymore cycles! Let us know how everything goes xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Just*Ace No need to feel guilty hun (although I think it goes with the territory with this parenting stuff!). It's not an easy call to make either way, and sadly there are no guarantees with ivf - even if you had heaps of follies in there. All you can do is work with what you've got, and make the best decisions you can for your situation. But if your DD is being cared for in a loving home and has the necessities, then she's already a very lucky girl and she will be just fine

Off topic completely - I was just doing a search in relation to my situation, and I saw you had an ovarian ectopic. I just had one of those too! Not the funnest experience and apparently quite unusual. Anyway, I wish you all the best for your EPU and the outcome of your cycle. Good luck and fingers crossed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck OP! I had low AMH, and for my lastt cycle, i was having a poor response to the meds. Can't remember how many follicles i had, but FS gave us the option to cancel too. We went ahead with EPU, as we didn't know whether I'd do any better next cycle. I think we ended up wiyh 2 eggs. I'm glad we did go ahead - the result is currently sleeping in his cot! So glad we went ahead anyway! Best of luck for you too!