+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had no end of trouble last night. Up till almost 1am. I slept in though. Till 9.30am. So he is up late again tonight because Mil didn't keep him up as I asked. Grr. I can't wait for tomorrow night when he is back into routine and goes to bed on time. He did go to sleep with a little fuss but much better. Probably because I had given up and let him stay up with his brother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1 hour past his bedtime so far. Just about to try. Maybe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope it goes well x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah no luck. He is up again. I have up when he started playing peek a boo. He never plays with me so I thought I'd just enjoy it. Now he is to awake again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey Hun just a few more questions:

1) if ds2 has no bedding, what is the room temp and does it stay consistent? I'm thinking anything less than a consistent 25 degrees and cold could be a factor.

2) what is ds2's solid intake like? How many solid meals does he have and how much of that consists of protein? Anything less than 3 solid meals a day (1/3 protein) and a snack or two and ds2 is probably hungry. What has the dietician and pediatrician recommended regarding eating? Have they mentioned that the extra high number of milk feeds could be further exasperating the solid intake issue? Now no doubt your probably already well aware of this I'm not trying to tell you something you already know.. Rather highlight that unfortunately there may not be anything you can do to improve ds2's sleep until the solid intake increases. In which case relief and support (hubby/you getting a day off here and there, an au pair?) may be the way to go.

3) routine: do you have a set time for waking ds2, day nap and bedtime? How long does ds2 have a day nap for? If everything else has been rules out (cold, solids, medical issues) then firming up the day routine could help. Normally for a 2 year old I would say don't wake them in he morning. However for a healthy kid who is not settled with sleeps I say you need to stick to a routine like clockwork until the child starts sleeping through. Eg wake ds2 at 7am every morning. Day nap from 1:30-2:30pm. Bedtime at 7pm. It might take a week or so for a child to get used to a routine, then you should (with a healthy child) start seeing better sleep.

Hope this helps..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie Stackedhouse View Post
    Yeah no luck. He is up again. I have up when he started playing peek a boo. He never plays with me so I thought I'd just enjoy it. Now he is to awake again.
    What's your bedtime routine like? When my ds1 was 2.5 he was a turd going to bed at night. I had a thread on here asking for advice. Turns out out bedtime routine was far too busy and stimulating. We made it more relaxing. And we were consistent. Very consistent - 1 small deviation (an out of place peekaboo) and things went pear shaped. We soon got down from coming out of the bedroom 50+ times one night to coming out maybe once or not at all.

A relative of mine has a child with ASD and what works for her child is putting picture charts on the wall with all the different night time routine steps: eat dinner. Bath. Put pj's on. Milk. 10 minutes playing. Teeth. Book. Sing twinkle twinkle. Kiss teddy. Lights out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are working on the picture cards with our speech therapist at the moment. The routine is not the problem though. He can't stop. He doesn't relax no matter how much I make it boring and dark. If it's not at least 6 hours (usually 8 ) since his nap I have no chance. So at least one more hour. I fell asleep on the couch with him this afternoon. So it's my own fault.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie Stackedhouse View Post
    We are working on the picture cards with our speech therapist at the moment. The routine is not the problem though. He can't stop. He doesn't relax no matter how much I make it boring and dark. If it's not at least 6 hours (usually 8 ) since his nap I have no chance. So at least one more hour. I fell asleep on the couch with him this afternoon. So it's my own fault.
    Yep - late day naps can throw everything pear shaped. Consistency with wake up time, day nap, bedtime is crucial - even more so when kids start to enter that danger zone of maybe not needing a day nap. So for your ds2 what is your ideal day nap time? 12-1? Bedtime 7?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a good routine it just goes out the window when something changes. Can take a week or so to get him back. The meltdowns make it very hard to get him to calm down for bed. But we are getting there. Last night was the earliest I have got him to bed for a few nights. He was up at his normal time again this morning to.
    He is usually up at 7.30am /8.
    Nap is 12 till 2. Bedtime is supposed to be 8.
    He has not asked for boob in days now so that is finally over I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    One thing to keep in mind that on average a 2 year old only needs 13ish hours sleep. If you are having a 2 hour day nap you can expect a child to wake at 8am and go to bed at 8pm. If you want to encourage 8am-8pm you may need to cut the day nap back.