+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kitchen Renovations

Hi all,

I'm planning a kitchen Reno in the next 2-5years and I was wanting some ideas on a few things ... Want to hear the highs and lows; and what you would include if you were to do it again.

So my first question is has anyone completely redesigned their kitchen ? Like moved sinks, cooktops , ovens?
    How hard was it to do this?? We have tiled floors on a concrete slab so is it hard to get electricity through to an island bench or is there a way around this?

Does anyone have a cooktop in their island bench? Would you recommend it?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffabella View Post
    Hi all,

I'm planning a kitchen Reno in the next 2-5years and I was wanting some ideas on a few things ... Want to hear the highs and lows; and what you would include if you were to do it again.

So my first question is has anyone completely redesigned their kitchen ? Like moved sinks, cooktops , ovens?
    How hard was it to do this?? We have tiled floors on a concrete slab so is it hard to get electricity through to an island bench or is there a way around this?

Does anyone have a cooktop in their island bench? Would you recommend it?

Thanks
    We did our sink & dish washer on our island instead of our cook tops etc as when we purchased our house one side was renovated (the kitchen) so we just needed to do the other side. I'm not sure about the concrete sorry as we had floor boards!

While I do love our kitchen i wish we went higher as I'm not the shortest person nor tallest while standing cooking for or chopping for a while it gets tedious I like my arms at a nice length haha!! We had draws for everything and encorprared that into our laundry for a butlers pantry/laundry. As we hadn't finished our renos our laundry is still there!

Look into your baking trays and oven space. Will they fit. I had lots of problems with my oven and existing trays 😡 also I wanted just gas!! Not fan forced etc. SPEND money on good tap fixings my husbands a plumber and even we didn't lol he had replace it within two months!!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    You can get power to your island by channelling out some cement and running your wires through it, cement over then tile. It's possible but messy and potentially expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Really interested in knowing what people regret or have done that they adore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Drawers, lots of drawers!

2 ovens - 1 big 90cm and 1 x 60cm

Gas or induction cooktop. Skip the old electric cooktop

Pantry at least 1m wide and add drawers to the bottom 3 or 4 shelves.

If you have a dishwasher, think about having one large sink instead of 2 small as it will be used for mainly big pots and pans and platters etc

Pull out bins. 1 for recycling one for rubbish. Put next to dishwasher so you can scrape off old food I to the non them our plates and bowls straight into the dishwasher.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (11-04-2015),SpongebobMummyPants  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subbing as we want to reno/extend the house in the next 2-3 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    All awesome recommendations and suggestions @A-Squared! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, we got ours redone about 12 months ago- nothing overly fancy, didnt change the floorplan much-the best things are: double sink (both full size sinks), 90cm oven, huge island bench that seats 5 people (this has become the social centre of our home-everyone always sits there), light coloured stone bench top with silver flecks in it (it shimmers when the light hits it). I only had room for 1 small pull out bin under the sink (it opens automatically when you open the cupboard door), one huge pull out draw under the pantry for plastics/Tupperware etc. I went with semigloss poly. it looks great and is easy to clean. we also paid $5oo to the kitchen company for complete removal and disposal of the old kitchen- this was well worth the money as there were a few problems with removal and they took care of everything.