+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What supplements/ vitamins do you take?

Do you take vitamins & supplements, or do you think its a waste of money?

I try to take a multi vitamin, vitamin D (Because I am deficient), sometimes evening primrose when I am moody, lol. Sometimes vit C in winter. I've taken vit. D supplements for years, and my levels are still very low, so I don't know if it does anything. Same as a multi and Evening Primrose - I'm not sure if it really helps or not. I'm so sporadic with my use, I will take them for a month, and then forget about it for the next month. I have taken Olive Leaf Extract in the past, supposedly to help with colds/ flu, and there was no noticeable difference. I've also taken probiotics in the past. I've read before that fish oil/ omega 3's are a really important supplement, but I'm just not convinced that any of the above are needed or helpful!

I try to give the kids a probiotic and multi vitamin too, and vitamin D because I fear theirs might be low if mine is. I'm just not any good at remembering.

What is your opinion on supplements - do you take any, and which ones, or do you think it's a crock of sh#t?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I take fish oil with vitamin D as I was low in vitamin D ( am now in normal range so just take a low dosage) , a pro biotic and if people around us are getting sick we all take 500mg of vitamin c and a tablespoon of manuka honey for a few weeks for an extra boost!

You need to take your vitamin D regularly to keep your levels up - I only think vitamins are of use if you have a deficiency but I believe fish oil and pro biotics are good for everyone!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I think vitamins etc are helpful if you might be low. I take a bfing multi and occasionally iron (I should take it everyday but it upsets my stomach if I do). I do notice a difference if I forget to take them.

However, if you aren't low in anything and have a well balanced diet then they are a waste of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I take q10, multi vitamin and telomeres. I really think they help with energy levels and notice when I haven't taken them for the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I take fish oil with vitamin D as I was low in vitamin D ( am now in normal range so just take a low dosage) , a pro biotic and if people around us are getting sick we all take 500mg of vitamin c and a tablespoon of manuka honey for a few weeks for an extra boost!

You need to take your vitamin D regularly to keep your levels up - I only think vitamins are of use if you have a deficiency but I believe fish oil and pro biotics are good for everyone!
    may I ask what quantity of vit D you took & how long for to get your levels up? When i take the supplement for ages & i see no improvement in my levels, i just give up, but youre right, i should be more diligent. Why do you think everyone should take a fish oil? (Sorry for all the qu's!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have an assortment of vitamins in my cupboard- I go through phases of bothering to take them though!

I have a multivitamin.
    Iron + C because I was badly anaemic last year, and am only just maintaining ok levels now.
    Plant sterols because I have high cholesterol (it did come down slightly after taking these).
    Fish oil- for the cholesterol also, I also have achey joints.
    Glucosamine + chondroitin for the achey joints also. Not sure if that does anything yet- the tablets are so ginormous that I've only been brave enough to take a couple lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At the moment, I'm taking B vitamins and a probiotic. It got too expensive but I was taking fish oil and zinc too. I take vit C when sick. The kids have a omega 3 vitamin most days unless I forget. And a multivitamin when sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take a breastfeeding multi on the advice of a dietician and vitamin D as I struggle to keep my levels up (due to a condition I have). Fish oi is really only any good if you take it as a liquid, the capsules aren't actually very good and many tests have found rancid oil inside so I'm not keen on them. When I do take it I will take as a teaspoon of oil, again I take it as an anti-inflammatory for a condition on the advice of my dr however personally I don't think it does anything day to day, so I don't take it unless I'm becoming unwell again.

When not bf I don't take a multi. I didn't take one when pregnant either, just a folate+iodine and later on an iron supplement because I was becoming anaemic.

I don't really agree with the whole taking multis/fish oil etc every day unless there is a reason to that you have been tested for or on the advice of a health prof. Most people don't really require all these vitamins/minerals and they are also very expensive.

I'm also not keen at all on any kinds of herbs or similar that claim things like helping the duration of colds/flus, helps with PMS or depression or any other huge range of things. Herbs are one thing I do think are a crock of sh!t so I won't buy them.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 09-04-2015 at 09:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fish oil, coconut oil, vit c vit d iodine a whole heap lol. For my thyroid etc.

Kids take multi vitamin plus olive leaf and also pro biotic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    R may I ask what quantity of vit D you took & how long for to get your levels up? When i take the supplement for ages & i see no improvement in my levels, i just give up, but youre right, i should be more diligent. Why do you think everyone should take a fish oil? (Sorry for all the qu's!)
    5 years ago when pregnant with DS I discovered I had really low vit d levels (19) normal range is 30-70 - my naturopath put me on 3000iu a day for 2 months then it went up to 59 , then I stayed at 1000iu a day during pregnancy and dropped to 500iu a day ( which I'm on now) last year my vitamin d level was 45 which is fine

We all take a fish oil for the vitamin d component plus the omega 3 benefits, ( omega 3 great for the brain, cardiovascular and overall general health benefits, it's also known to help kids with behaviour and mood swings ) we do eat fish 3 times a week but I believe there is an imbalance of omega 6 /3 ratio so a low dose fish oil just helps any imbalances plus we don't eat any fortified foods like cereals or milk