+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just need advice on what to do

Sorry this is probably in the wrong section but there's more traffic here...

Anyway, I am currently studying level 2 in AUSLAN. It's only a community course not an accredited course. I'd like to further my study but in order to do that I'll need to go to tafe and start cert 2 ( or 3) in AUSLAN through to diploma. For those that don't know AUSLAN is Australian sign language. I'd like to work with Deaf people and learn more about the Deaf community. My dilemma is the only tafe I can find that offers AUSLAN in Victoria is near the city. I don't have a car. I can get public transport ( two trains and a bus or tram) but it's a long way ( driving in would only take 40 minutes though). The course is either 4 days a week 9:30am to 3:30pm. I can get dp to drop older kids at school and drop them off but what do I do with the baby ? I don't really want to put him in daycare all day and we can't afford it either. Or I can do the course at night two nights a week 6-9pm. It will obviously take longer to complete but at least we won't need to put him in daycare all day. I'm worried about catching public transport at night though. I don't know what to do? I really want to study this course and get it out the way..

What would you do in my sutuation?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im not sure if they still do it, but when i was studying at tafe, i got really cheap daycare because i was doing it voluntarily (ie my child was under school age). I ended up paying something like $30 or $40 for full time child care. Plus recieved a supplement for studying. Maybe have a chat with centrelink?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you did the evening classes could you borrow your DP’s car?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll talk to centrelink, thanks.

My dp's car is mannuel and I don't know how to drive it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's frustrating. Any chance you can learn? (I only drive auto too, so don't know how easy it would be to learn!!). It could make things easier for you. In all honesty, I would not be comfortable catching public transport home that late on a regular basis. Are you sure you have done an exhaustive search on the TAFE study options? Could there be a smaller course offered somewhere that you might have missed that might have better hours available? Maybe speaking to the provider of your community course might help see if there are other alternatives offered?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I don't like catching public transport at night either. I will talk to people at my course but I know I overheard people talking and saying this is the only course in Victoria. I can't study via corrospondence either because it's visual learning and being taught by deaf teacher ( though I do watch a lot of auslan videos online).

Maybe I could ask dp to drive me in (if I do the night course) but we'll need someone to mind the kids for a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe look into the Knox/Blackburn area. There are schools there that are specifically targeted toward hearing impaired children, so it might have more smaller classes at the tafe/uni than the one in the CBD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.vicdeaf.com.au/content.asp?cid=62
    Did you see this? Not sure it's helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info I'll look into it for sure.