+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Very slow rising HCG?

Hi all, you may remember me from previous threads such as "rapidly rising hcg and behind in dates". Well, turns out that I must have heard my OB incorrectly when she left me a voice mail last Thursday, as it turns out my HCG is not rising too fast, it's actually not rising fast enough

So, my HCG results were:

27/3 - 2900 (4+1 weeks)
    2/4 - 5100 (5 weeks)
    7/4 - 6900 (5+5 weeks)

So not even close to doubling over 5 day periods. My OB said though that HCG is not a reliable indicator of pregnancy viability at this stage, and that it was still rising. So she's getting me in for a scan on Thursday to check progress.

But, me being impatient and prone to freak out, stress head, worry wort behaviour (even though ib know it didn't help anything) I thought I'd come on here and see if anyone else had similar experiences and what their outcomes were??

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was an IVF conception but our first HCG was over 1200. When I asked if they would retest after 2 days I was told there was no need as doubling every 48 hours was not so important past 1000.
    Normally you can have a heartbeat scan around 7 weeks which you're not far off so I would hang in there and try to get one of those done instead. As long as it's rising (and your numbers are fantastic btw) I would try to just take it easy as much as possible x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SoReady For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SoReady

Just bumping for the morning. Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had slow rising levels with my third pregnancy - but really slow, as in by 6 weeks they weren't even up to 500. I also had constant bleeding (very, very heavy at CD 32-35 then lighter but never stopped), repeated scans showing nothing until a tiny sac was found at around 7 weeks (after much stress about ectopic risk), which was the same size a week or so later and naturally miscarried at 9w. My 2nd pregnancy was a missed miscarriage where I had 'perfect' doubling levels even after bub had died. So I now have little faith in how much levels can tell you.

So, very different to your scenario! I would get a scan to put your mind at ease. If it's too early for a heartbeat (it may be able to be picked up via internal at this stage) then get another at 8-9w. Medicare will rebate for as many 1st trimester "dating/viability" scans as you need. From my experience, a scan is the only reliable way to get an idea of what's going on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear of your losses mushy & stretched

Thank you for your input though, I appreciate it.

I am booked in for a scan with my OB tomorrow, so we'll see if there's been any progress then I guess. Such a hard wait though!

She's said we won't bother with any more blood tests as it'll just cause more stress and scans will be a better way to determine what's happening at this stage. Thank goodness, cause I HATE blood tests!!

24 hours to go now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Best of luck with the scan tomorrow, hopefully everything looks perfect!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    littlelove how did your scan go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My story was a little similar I guess, my hcg was rising but def not doubling in the 48 hrs they like it too. It resulted in a missed miscarriage for me. I had a d&c when I 'should' have been approx 9 weeks, but was measuring only around 6weeks. I think at the time I had the d&c my hcg levels were at around the 50,000 mark and still rising. I was told this was because the sac was still growing, just the baby had stopped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had slow rising HCG and it has resulted in a missed Miscarriage.

I googled it a lot and most people with my numbers/doubling time went on to have healthy babies so I guess I was in the minority. I hope your scan went well!!!