+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cone Biopsy and Future Pregnancy

So my Coloposcopy results came back with CIN3 so am scheduled to have a Cone Biopsy.

Just wondering anyone who has had a Cone Biopsy did this effect any future pregnancies?

Thanks!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had several colposcopies (sp?)
    Also 2 cone biopsies, together with a couple of ops to separate uterus and bowel due to adhesions. That was about 13-14 years ago.
    Decided to have a bub in December 2013 and fell pregnant first try.
    Normal pregnancy - other than some spotting of bright red blood until around 16weeks.
    Quite quick labour by all accounts (3.5 hours) and gave birth to very healthy gorgeous boy in Sept 2014.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply PP...my labour was also around the 3.5hr mark - intense but glad it was over quickly!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldsandsiamonds For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a cone biopsy in 2005... As a result, my cervix is very short and a high risk for cervical incompetence. I've had 2 vaginal stitches & then a trans abdominal stitch (put in by laparoscopy at the top of the cervix. It's a permanent stitch). It can also have the opposite effect and cause problems with dilation in labour due to scar tissue. I had this problem too so I needed an emergency csection.

Basically be sure your cervical length if closely monitored in pregnancy for any changes or discuss a vaginal stitch with your care provider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one in 2007 and am 12weeks pregnant now, I spoke at length about this issue with my doctor. What I did was get the pathology results of the procedure, so I knew exactly how much tissue they had taken away, so I could tell the obgyn, it turned out not to be a great amount he said.

Next I got the ultrasound clinic, where I had my 12 week scan done, to do an internal scan to specifically measure the length of my cervix. She also made me cough etc to see if the cervix shortened with pressure. Details of this will also be sent to my doctor & the hospital.

At present they think it seems like I won't have any issues, but they will keep an eye on it at future scans for shortening.

So far I have found the best way to deal with the fear of 'will this be a problem for me' was to become proactive in asking questioning and making sure I knew all of my details to tell each different doctor.

Hope this helps