+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Yep, that's pretty much what I thought I said? That it's occupation dependent?

So in your case those things absolutely would make a difference...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree that it is occupation dependant. Even within an office environment it would be fine for the majority but not for a receptionist for instance. I just felt that a lot of the posts in here were about office environments and oddly draconian.

I certainly can't see doctor, nurses, or any other health care provider, or really, any direct client service provider getting away with long coffee breaks. But I am also sure they're probably aware of that before they commence the job/study!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default *spinoff* Sacking employees & ethics

OT but @Luna Lovegood I always read your posts in Luna's accent. She would sound very adorable indeed saying 'draconian'.

As you were :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    OT but @Luna Lovegood I always read your posts in Luna's accent. She would sound very adorable indeed saying 'draconian'.

As you were :-)
    I always visualise Draco when I say draconian. I love HP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Some people are just bone lazy, getting cross about it and calling 'unfair' isn't actually going to help you out or make you feel any better. .
    Well it might... Venting has been known to give people a short term sense of relief. As for feeling better in the long run I would recommend formal performance management to increase the lazy bones output. Better still giving them the sack so a person who's actually dedicated and useful can get hired instead will probably make everyone in the office feel better. Either way, staying silent and letting lazy bones continue to bludge will only end in disaster - morale and overall office output going down the crapper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

Maybe it's a difference between being salaried and paid by the hour?
    Good point

Thanks
    Reviews
    If i go by list i def. would have been sacked atleast 100 times.
    Lols....bless my company n my manager.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    sure it might be completely acceptable to leave work early when it's quiet, take long lunch breaks etc but then it's expected that you do the hard yards and complete unpaid overtime when things get busy and people are on holidays/sick.
    I used to work with a girl who would regularly take extra breaks, be late from lunch, make 2+ personal calls a day, chat on facebook, etc. She always got her work done though, so the boss was ok. BUT she was never around to pitch-in for the team stuff- which happened in between our own personal tasks. So we were always behind, and had to do unpaid overtime.

She refused to do unpaid overtime (um...it's your fault we have to do it!) but was ok with getting paid for fart-a$$ing around... Drove us nuts.

She got written up a lot for not being a team-player, and refusing to assist others- part of our code of conduct. Eventually, we all decided she wasn't worth our time, and she left a few months after, saying we didn't treat her as part of the team- hmm... you weren't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I was thinking more about Harvs and Luna's posts, you just happened to be the last person to reply to them :P

It all depends on what your work environment is - sure it might be completely acceptable to leave work early when it's quiet, take long lunch breaks etc but then it's expected that you do the hard yards and complete unpaid overtime when things get busy and people are on holidays/sick.

Other places it's expected that you work consistently and constantly and taking any extra breaks is frowned upon - but then any overtime is optional and well paid etc
    it really depends I think on whether you being on a break means someone else is covering for you or not. If you work in a job where your break affects no-one else's work, then i doesn't matter as much as long as you are still getting your work done. If it's something where someone has to be 'manning' your position while you're out, then you owe them your respect to be on time in returning from breaks and not taking excessive breaks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

DT75  (09-04-2015)