+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    This comment made me love you a little bit more :-)
    me too I'm a teacher as well, and whilst I only have one kid to drop at daycare, some mornings it can be really difficult to get to work on time, but I'm usually either right on time or only 5 minutes late.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Regarding clocking on, I used to work in a supermarket on checkouts and we had to walk to the back of the store, upstairs, all the way to the front of the store, clock on, walk to the back of the store, downstairs then back to the front of the store. From clocking on and getting to the front of the store, it could take 3-4 minutes. We were expected to clock on and be at the checkouts by our start time, but they wouldn't pay us until our start time. So I would be at the sign on machine, waiting for it to click over to my start time, then would sign on and head down to the checkouts.

Ethical or not?
    Ethical

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Wouldn't happen at my work. A start time means exactly that. You're on the floor ready to go. You've found out what area you've been allocated to, been to the toilet, put your lunch away, filled up your water bottle, made a coffee etc. If you haven't, you wait until your break.

If that means getting to work 20 minutes early to find a carpark, get into the building, up the lift and do all of the above then so be it.
    This. I get to work 20 minutes early, and clock in. I get paid from the second my shift starts, and no sooner. But get asked to do things while I'm there, I say, "oh, I'm still off the clock, gimme 15 mins" (as I am usually eating/drinking), no dramas.

Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Question for everyone who says some things are ok, as long as they're not "excessive".
    Who decides what's excessive? Does a company policy stipulate what's reasonable or is someone (staff or manager) making a judgement call that the odd phone call, stamp, photocopy or pen from the stationery cupboard is ok?

The reason I ask is that obviously everyone's interpretation of reasonableness is different.

At my workplace, our policy says to keep personal Internet use to a minimum. However a recent event has demonstrated that this policy isn't tight enough if we ever want to give a warning for excessive use as what one staff member considers minimal, another thinks is excessive.
    Company policy will let you know. Time at the place will show you what is reasonable- a pen here and there, sure. A box of pens, no.
    5 mins late from lunch, ok for a once off. Repeatedly, or later without contact, no.
    I've always worked in places where it is clear, and they say if it's not, ask and they will write it down.

If you are unsure, ask. That's what superiors are for. If you're still unsure, just don't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Regarding clocking on, I used to work in a supermarket on checkouts and we had to walk to the back of the store, upstairs, all the way to the front of the store, clock on, walk to the back of the store, downstairs then back to the front of the store. From clocking on and getting to the front of the store, it could take 3-4 minutes. We were expected to clock on and be at the checkouts by our start time, but they wouldn't pay us until our start time. So I would be at the sign on machine, waiting for it to click over to my start time, then would sign on and head down to the checkouts.

Ethical or not?
    I wouldn't say ethical (it takes 4 mins max!) but not unethical either.
    You are paid for when you are working, which means on the register if that is your assigned area. Why does it matter the difference between waiting to clock on, and clocking on and walking to your area?

I used to work in a bookstore and would only get paid until 6pm. Store closed at 6pm.
    I used to start "closing up" at 5.30pm- sweep and mop, organise shelves, give customers notice we would close soon, sort back room. At 5.50pm I would turn off the computer and put the key in the till (manual). If anyone made a purchase after the computer was off, I wrote down the ISBN of the book to deduct from stock in the morning. At 2 minutes to 6pm, if there were customers, I informed them I had to switch off the till NOW- very rare though as officially (on sign and website) our store closed at 5.30.
    I never closed that door later than 6.05pm (apart from Harry Potter nights when we were open until 3am).
    Last edited by DT75; 07-04-2015 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Crikey!.... How long does it take for your computer to load up? Within 2 minutes my computer is ready to go.
    Far out, I wish. I keep spewing against the material we are given to work on.

It takes between 5 and 15 min on a bad day. I love my home computer that start in 10 seconds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Far out, I wish. I keep spewing against the material we are given to work on.

It takes between 5 and 15 min on a bad day. I love my home computer that start in 10 seconds
    Mine can take 20-30 on a bad day. One of our partners took over 1 hour the other day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Ahhh... Being a teacher you were probably doing work outside of official times anyway (marking, grading etc). Despite being late on those mornings you were probably still getting ripped off
    Yes, well I'm on school holidays at moment and spending today programming

Thanks
    Reviews
    😓 id be sacked 20 times over by now going by this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelySavvy View Post
    ������ id be sacked 20 times over by now going by this
    Stop stealing ink cartridges!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm curious to know what people think of smoke breaks? Especially comparing it to getting a cup of coffee (if I get a coffee or tea it takes me 3-5 minutes max...so not sure why it would take others 20-25 minutes...sounds like some have a chat with co-workers too maybe?). I don't really do the coffee thing, but if I did, I'd come in, turn the PC on and quickly get a cuppa while it loads. An extra 2 minutes I'd imagine wouldn't be a big deal.