+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Question for everyone who says some things are ok, as long as they're not "excessive".
    Who decides what's excessive? Does a company policy stipulate what's reasonable or is someone (staff or manager) making a judgement call that the odd phone call, stamp, photocopy or pen from the stationery cupboard is ok?

The reason I ask is that obviously everyone's interpretation of reasonableness is different.

At my workplace, our policy says to keep personal Internet use to a minimum. However a recent event has demonstrated that this policy isn't tight enough if we ever want to give a warning for excessive use as what one staff member considers minimal, another thinks is excessive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Did you have to work back late to make up the time? If not what did your colleagues think?
    I don't know what my colleagues thought. Not sure they even noticed? I'm pretty popular at work and think my record speaks for itself. Being a teacher it's not like I can make up the time. I was always at work before school actually started, but not at 8:30 like I'm supposed to be. They accommodated me by not putting me on a morning playground duty. Pretty good. But I was upfront with my boss in 2013. I knew I was going to be late. My eldest had started school and before school care didn't open until 7:30, then driving in Sydney traffic 50km away to drop 2 more kids to daycare and try and make it to work by 8:30. Now they all get dropped off at the same place but the daycare attached to the before and after school care don't take kids before 2yo so my youngest couldn't go there until this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I assume thats an office job?

I do that and most of my colleagues do it too. It makes sense to start computer and then leave, so that all that time wasted waiting for starting processes to finish is not wasted. You're actually getting coffee!
    Once you're back, computer is ready and we are ready with coffee kick.

It probably depends on the position level. They couldn't care less whether I clock 20hrs or 60 within the one week. They want the job to be done and I have to manage the work load myself.
    Crikey!.... How long does it take for your computer to load up? Within 2 minutes my computer is ready to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *spinoff* Sacking employees & ethics

Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Question for everyone who says some things are ok, as long as they're not "excessive".
    Who decides what's excessive? Does a company policy stipulate what's reasonable or is someone (staff or manager) making a judgement call that the odd phone call, stamp, photocopy or pen from the stationery cupboard is ok?

The reason I ask is that obviously everyone's interpretation of reasonableness is different.

At my workplace, our policy says to keep personal Internet use to a minimum. However a recent event has demonstrated that this policy isn't tight enough if we ever want to give a warning for excessive use as what one staff member considers minimal, another thinks is excessive.
    This is a good point. I check my mobile phone quite a bit through the day which I think is not excessive but I think my older colleagues might think it's excessive.

Though I might make one personal phone call a month from my work phone in work time, but I have older colleagues who make 3-4 personal calls in work time from their work phone every day which I think is excessive.

I think it's generational to a degree.

Our policies refer to reasonable use but the only policy that is defined in is the smoking policy where staff are only allowed 2 x 10 minute cigarette breaks per day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Crikey!.... How long does it take for your computer to load up? Within 2 minutes my computer is ready to go.
    My computer will take 13 minutes (average) from turning it on to when I'm ready to go and answer calls (call centre) . We are so far behind with technology

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great stories ladies.

Just had another example regarding clocking on at work. Hubby and I have often had discussions about staff members at his work that clock on at work, log into their computers and immediately go get a coffee and then arrive back at either desk 20 -25 minutes later ready to start work. I think it's unethical - they basically get paid for 20-25 minutes when they are not working. If my staff did that I would tell them to either grab their coffee before checking in... Or wait until 10am or so when they would at least have a chance at justifying playing the "I need a break" card.

What would others do?
    Regarding clocking on, I used to work in a supermarket on checkouts and we had to walk to the back of the store, upstairs, all the way to the front of the store, clock on, walk to the back of the store, downstairs then back to the front of the store. From clocking on and getting to the front of the store, it could take 3-4 minutes. We were expected to clock on and be at the checkouts by our start time, but they wouldn't pay us until our start time. So I would be at the sign on machine, waiting for it to click over to my start time, then would sign on and head down to the checkouts.

Ethical or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I think it's common sense - my staff know printing photos and invites are ok but if they started printing 50 a day then I would say something but once a year for party invites and a few photos is not a problem , the odd 5 min break to google something or check bubhub is different to being glued to Facebook and doing nothing all day

Maybe as my office is only small (10 employees) we run things differently but I don't care who has coffee when and who calls who and who eats the all the kingstons as long as the targets are met and work gets done - DH and I always wanted to run an office where our staff want to come to work and we have a happy work environment and thankfully in 9 years we've only had to sack 1 person for taking advantage

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-04-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-04-2015),MrsSS  (07-04-2015),VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know what my colleagues thought. Not sure they even noticed? I'm pretty popular at work and think my record speaks for itself. Being a teacher it's not like I can make up the time. I was always at work before school actually started, but not at 8:30 like I'm supposed to be. They accommodated me by not putting me on a morning playground duty. Pretty good. But I was upfront with my boss in 2013. I knew I was going to be late. My eldest had started school and before school care didn't open until 7:30, then driving in Sydney traffic 50km away to drop 2 more kids to daycare and try and make it to work by 8:30. Now they all get dropped off at the same place but the daycare attached to the before and after school care don't take kids before 2yo so my youngest couldn't go there until this year.
    Ahhh... Being a teacher you were probably doing work outside of official times anyway (marking, grading etc). Despite being late on those mornings you were probably still getting ripped off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

I think it's an individual call? However the fact it's open to interpretation is probably why I would generally give people a warning first. Unless it was really really excessive (eg nicking $300 worth of printer cartridges).

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ahhh... Being a teacher you were probably doing work outside of official times anyway (marking, grading etc). Despite being late on those mornings you were probably still getting ripped off
    This comment made me love you a little bit more :-)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (07-04-2015),FrothyFrog  (08-04-2015),jussi  (07-04-2015),VicPark  (07-04-2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast