+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd love to hear what people think of what happened to me about 8 years ago now.

I worked in a pet supplies store, and had worked there for over 5 years. I was the inventory manager, and did a lot of the ordering and pricing of items, knew all the suppliers by name. When I had first started working there, if I'd wanted to buy something for myself, my boss would put it through and give me a 30% discount, but after a few years, he trusted me to put my own transactions through and charge myself what I thought was fair.

Anyway, my boss ended up leaving, and his brother took over at the shop. I already knew him and him me as he ran the brother store to ours. So there was one day I wanted to order 2 very expensive collars for my dogs. I rang the supplier, who suggested he just sell the items to me directly at cost price, and I said no, that I'd rather he deliver them to the store and I'd pay the shop for them. So when they arrived, I took the invoice, charged myself the cost price for the 2 collars, plus shipping, plus an extra $20 so the store made some profit from my order. The store manager (not the boss) was beside me as I did it, and I asked him if he thought that sounded fair, and he agreed that it was fine.

The next day, I was called into my boss's office, and fired on the spot. Sent home, for stealing.

It's pretty much the worst thing that ever happened to me in my life, and even now 8 years later it brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it, and I think about it often. I've never actually spoken about it before other than to my husband. This is the first time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in HR so this is an interesting topic for me!

There are lots of things to take into account when determining whether someone should be disciplined in the workplace. Position in the company, past behavior & performance etc.

Personally, the big "no no's" for me are anything to do with safety breaches, confidentiality/privacy of information, stealing/fraud, harassment/abuse, drugs & alcohol, illegal activity or actions that cause serious damage to the company.

So for example, just taking a pen or two home isn't a major for me. But if it turns into boxes & boxes of pens, week after week & the person has been warned previously about this behavior. Well then it could definitely warrant disciplinary action.

If you witness or know of something happening that you think is not right or is bothering you, then you need to say something or report it to management etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snooze For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @CazHazKidz your situation sounds very unfair! A warning maybe but not fired.

We had the same "issue" at my work place, an employee using his position within the company to get discount from suppliers. His direct manager agreed to it.
    However it is a big no no, whether it's been approved or not, one can't use its job as a way to get personal benefits.

Anyway that lad got a warning and won't do it again. Material got send back to the supplier too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I'd love to hear what people think of what happened to me about 8 years ago now.

I worked in a pet supplies store, and had worked there for over 5 years. I was the inventory manager, and did a lot of the ordering and pricing of items, knew all the suppliers by name. When I had first started working there, if I'd wanted to buy something for myself, my boss would put it through and give me a 30% discount, but after a few years, he trusted me to put my own transactions through and charge myself what I thought was fair.

Anyway, my boss ended up leaving, and his brother took over at the shop. I already knew him and him me as he ran the brother store to ours. So there was one day I wanted to order 2 very expensive collars for my dogs. I rang the supplier, who suggested he just sell the items to me directly at cost price, and I said no, that I'd rather he deliver them to the store and I'd pay the shop for them. So when they arrived, I took the invoice, charged myself the cost price for the 2 collars, plus shipping, plus an extra $20 so the store made some profit from my order. The store manager (not the boss) was beside me as I did it, and I asked him if he thought that sounded fair, and he agreed that it was fine.

The next day, I was called into my boss's office, and fired on the spot. Sent home, for stealing.

It's pretty much the worst thing that ever happened to me in my life, and even now 8 years later it brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it, and I think about it often. I've never actually spoken about it before other than to my husband. This is the first time.
    Oh dear. That situation doesn't sound right if you ask me. But then again I don't know what your previous employment history with them was like - had you been warned before about this?

Too late now to do anything as it was 8 years ago, but if it we're now I would have been challenging it & speaking to fair work if I was you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not bothered by petty stuff - usually if someone's doing the wrong thing constantly (excessive personal calls/doing personal stuff on work's watch/laziness), it doesn't go unnoticed by others including management.

I haven't witnessed any blatant stealing or highly unethical stuff like that.

I have, at two previous jobs, complained about two certain individuals because they weren't doing their job properly. One was a call centre worker in another team who was repeatedly rude and I caught him lying to customers on a few occasions. He wasn't sacked, but he resigned further down the track.

The other was in charge of the warehouse and was constantly making mistakes and compromising the safety of others. The latter fellow ended up receiving numerous warnings and he resigned just before we were due to dismiss him. I have no idea how he landed the job in the first place, he must have talked the talk because he certainly had NFI when it came to walking the walk.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As an employer my main concerns are the obvious ones like privacy, being unethical or doing anything illegal and the only time I have had to fire anyone was my 17 year old receptionist for having Skype s$x at the front desk ( apparently it was a regular thing!)

As far as taking stationary etc it does not bother me in the slightest, we have a commercial printer so everyone's kids assignments, party invites and photos are printed at work, my staff are loyal and hardworking and most are salary based so don't get overtime as such and I trust them not to abuse their privileges so the few dollars a week in printing and stamps is not a concern !

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-04-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-04-2015),MrsSS  (07-04-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (08-04-2015),VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *spinoff* Sacking employees & ethics

I work in a public hospital and have known 2 x nurses to cause problems for years without getting sacked, I'm talking serious stuff like turning up to work under the influence of drugs/alcohol and stealing drugs. Another lady had severe mental health issues which made her unsafe to work, many complaints were put in from staff and patients about the poor and unsafe care she was giving. She never got let go, eventually left after a mental breakdown (sad yes, but she was very unstable to be working in that field and it kept getting swept under the rug)
    And then on the other side of the fence I've known several Nurses to get severe warnings because they were caught taking a couple of panadol for a headache!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post

Ooh. That's a difficult one. With hindsight the store manager should have run any existing 'unconventional' policies by the new boss to make sure he was ok with them. I think your store manager was at fault here.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

DT75  (07-04-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    So.. @VicPark I've got one for you.

I rang my TAFE once to find out what my old student number had been so had to give a lot of details for them to access my file.

No dramas. All sorted in about five minutes, get off the phone. I'm just a student bumming around at home so of course this means spending most of my days on the Internet.

I log into my hotmail account and find that the receptionist that I rang has
    a) taken it upon himself to use my email address from my file to add me to messenger (which I never ever had used before so was very confused), and
    b) sent me an unsolicited picture of his junk.

What would you do with this guy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    So.. @VicPark I've got one for you.

I rang my TAFE once to find out what my old student number had been so had to give a lot of details for them to access my file.

No dramas. All sorted in about five minutes, get off the phone. I'm just a student bumming around at home so of course this means spending most of my days on the Internet.

I log into my hotmail account and find that the receptionist that I rang has
    a) taken it upon himself to use my email address from my file to add me to messenger (which I never ever had used before so was very confused), and
    b) sent me an unsolicited picture of his junk.

What would you do with this guy?
    Please tell me he was fired in the spot.