+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default *spinoff* Sacking employees & ethics

Where is the line in the sand (for you) between an employee doing something a little 'grey/funny' and doing something that you think they should get the sack for?

Have you ever been in a position where you have witnessed behavior you think has crossed the line? If the person was a colleague did you 'dob' on them? If you were the boss did you sack them?

For me (and yes each person is going to be different) I don't bat an eyelid at the occasional phone call or photocopying for personal use... As long as it's not excessive and/or regular (eg 40 pages every few days for study or calling std and chatting with Nanna for 20 minutes every couple of days). If I witnessed someone being excessive I would probably say something to them like "you're bold doing that hoping you won't get caught." If they continued to do it I would Dob or formally counsel them if they were my employee.

With regards to physical property. For some reason I am turned off at the thought of people intentionally taking physical things from the workplace home for personal use (stationary, supplies etc). Accidentally taking a pen or rubber home and keeping it there - meh. Intentionally raiding the supply cupboard on a semi regular basis - not ok. I would counsel an employee I caught taking stuff (or tell their supervisor if it wasn't me). If it was a significant amount of goods (money and/or amount wise) I would like to see then sacked.

Messing with the integrity of confidential work information (including client information - looking it up for personal jollies etc) is something I have no tolerance for. If I caught my employees looking up confidential client information when they didn't have a need to know I would like to think they would get the sack (and depending on the nature of the offence criminal charges laid).

In reality there aren't that many dodgy people where I work...(that I know of!). I once heard (third hand) a story that one employee had trifled through people's draws when the office was empty reading managements performance reports on others. I didn't feel comfortable 'dobbing' as I heard the information third hand and wasn't sure about its accuracy. If I witnessed it myself/first hand then I would definitely out them, and campaign for a formal warning if not the sack.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (07-04-2015),KitiK  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *spinoff* Sacking employees & ethics

I complained about a coworker once for several reasons. I worked front desk and she would come and sit there daily with a cuppa and newspaper and sit back to have a read while I served customers (she put her feet up on the desk more than once). She also made long interstate calls on a daily basis and would then transfer the call to her mobile so she could talk to friends on the way home at our employer's expense. I caught her scanning a book (as in a fictional one) to her email address so she could read at her desk. She would intentionally order too much food for functions and set some aside to take home so she didn't have to cook/buy food for a day or two (she bragged to me about it). There was so much she did that added up to her being off and several of us complained and she was eventually sacked.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MaximumStarlight For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For me and in my work place, using the company resources is a sackable offense.

However as you mentioned in your OP, a few personal phone calls and photocopies are not frown upon.

But raiding the office supplies cabinet is. Misused of company assets is.
    Driving over the speed limit is.
    Using FB on a work computer is.
    Etc etc

I would never ever dob someone in though. It's something french people can not do. Seriously.
    Such a big taboo in our culture. I'd rather walk naked to the supermarket.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The line for me is repeated offences (again personal use occasionally/for small things, has always been ok where I work), breach of confidentiality (HUGE issues, as I have worked with kids hiding from abusive family members, and famous people), and doing it for the sake of doing it.

I have no problems calling a colleague, employee, or even employer on their behaviour. I don't consider it "dobbing" if what they are doing is a crime.

I have been unlucky enough to have to fire 12 people in the last year for stuff they believed was "only a bit of fun" or "harmless" (5 of them will never again work in this industry- 1 tried to fight it as it was their "dream job" but ended up with criminal charges, as we had to look into her actions further).
    You breach our code of conduct, someone's privacy, or other rules, you deal with the fallout.

Taking stationery is ok, as long as it's not excessive (e.g. taking pens everyday), raiding the supply cupboard is an immediate suspension, without pay- it's stealing.

We are not allowed 'replace' items, or buy items, for the supply... unless we ask the director and she gives permission (e.g. xmas last year we had an item I had never seen before, and was perfect for something I wanted to do at home with the kids. I approached the director and asked where she got them, and if I could take some- happy to pay for more. She told me to just take them all, as they had never been used).

(FWIW, a breach of privacy is an immediate dismissal. The others, depending on each case, is first a verbal warning, then a written warning, then fired. Or immediate suspension).
    Last edited by DT75; 07-04-2015 at 10:09.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some things are ok, the odd phone call or photocopy. But repeated, excessive use is a no no.
    I have complained about my old manager who made multiple personal calls every day.
    Any breach of privacy would be instant dismissal - we drum it into staff that under no circumstances are they to use bank systems for personal use. Anyone looking up an account for "fun" or to snoop would also be sacked.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

DT75  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    Some things are ok, the odd phone call or photocopy. But repeated, excessive use is a no no.
    I have complained about my old manager who made multiple personal calls every day.
    Any breach of privacy would be instant dismissal - we drum it into staff that under no circumstances are they to use bank systems for personal use. Anyone looking up an account for "fun" or to snoop would also be sacked.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I imagine it would be difficult to find work in the same field if you were fired for breaching privacy too (it is in mine).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know someone who would access people's criminal history for their personal snooping. It's 100% traceable though so one day they may be caught. I don't work with them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before becoming a SAHM I worked in the oil, gas and mining industry for 9 years.
    I worked in a lab and away on site, so our sacking offences were more involved around safety and accuracy of results.
    I only ever needed to sack one person for these reasons, though many more got warnings. The person that got sacked just couldn't understand that what he was doing was not only unsafe for him, it was putting others in danger too (ie: walking into a lab that was clearly marked for gas mask use only without a mask, not labelling chemicals or leaving open containers on the bench.
    Small amounts of personal printing or photocopying or an occasional personal phone call was ok. As was taking a little bit of extra time at lunch, or taking some leftover cake home.
    Chemicals were never allowed to leave the building and was a sackable offence, though I don't know anyone who did it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MadSci For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think doing anything wrong @ work is wrong 😂.

It's probably why companies are going broke! Eg using printers at work for personal use. Etc Facebook... Things like that. People taking left over copper home (we knew a tradesman that did this!!) instead of money going back into company!) grrr

Really ****es me off!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a girl at work disagree with something that inevitably impacted on her weekend off... so she looked up the persons personal file and found the information supporting her claim that she was right and they were wrong.

Well i didnt have to dob her in, when she complained she dobbed herself in for accessing personal information she had no right to. Sometimes i just dont get what goes through peoples heads :what:

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (07-04-2015),DT75  (07-04-2015),VicPark  (07-04-2015)