+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Driving school/driving instructor for overcoming phobia

Can anyone recommend a driving school/driving instructor on brisbane northside that is highly experienced working with people with a driving phobia? - they need to understand high levels of generalised anxiety, not just someone who is a bit scared to drive for the first time.

Ive tried therapy & graded exposure & got myself to the point where i can now drive short distances alone but i need help with some technical things that i just cant seem to understand & most driving instructors cant comprehend why i cant understand it.

Every driving school ive tried so far has said they know how to work with 'anxious drivers' but when i have the lesson its pretty obvious that they dont understand & cant help me.

Im not interested in doing a defensive driving course yet, thats a goal for the future, my anxiety is still too high for that at the moment.

Ill call racq tomorrow but just wanted to hear if anyone here has any personal experience or recommendations

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What about an occupational therapist? Some do driving rehabilitation and assessment and may be more sensitive to your needs/condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thats something i hadnt looked into. Where do i find one? Do i need a referral? Can they help me with technical aspects of driving such as judging distances, dimensions of my car, parking, merging etc or would i still need a driving instructor for that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know of a list of OT's. I will pm you the link. Not too sure about the finer details though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you previously driven independently or is driving quite new to you?

Do you have somewhere that you can go and just drive around in a car that isn't a road? Like a paddock, empty racetrack etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Subbing as i will be interested in this. I am absolutely terrified but i really need a license so in 3wks time going for my learners so i can start the goal of eventually getting my license.

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Would you need auto or manual?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I drive an auto.

Ive driven a bit by myself years ago when i first got my licence but i always struggled with these things & i was always terrified & some stuff then happened on the road & i just got so freaked out by other drivers behaviour that i basically stopped drivimg completely. I gradually got back into it, with help from dh & have been able to do short drives alone but the things such as judging distances etc is really holding me back

HappyBovine, its not specifically related to roundabouts. Thats one thing i have trouble with, but i also cant park or merge cause i cant judge distances at all. Like my last driving instructor said 'oh just leave a metre between you & parked cars' - which is all well & good if i had any comprehension whatsoever of how close i was to begin with. Thats just an example, but its just not improving with driving by myself & dh so i think i need help from a professional

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you generally have good spacial awareness? For example, can you make a reasonable guess at how big/long/far away something is? If not, perhaps this is something you could work on by literally measuring stuff.

How is your anxiety going in other areas of your life? Is it well managed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Okay then. I get your parking issue. I don't think I have ever successfully reversed parked since the day I got my licence. My current car (Tarago) has the turning circle of a tank so I always go to the most deserted part of any carpark to park.

Merging - I find it can be scary in heavy traffic especially on the highway. I find it is better sometimes to just do it (within reason).

It took me years to become a confident driver.
    Omg i could not drive a tarago!

SpecialPatrolGroup my anxiety is ok. Im seeing a psych but not on medication at this stage as i dont want to take it while breastfeeding. Its something ill look into once i wean ds. Thanks for the list of ots, i emailed some of them last night

Sometimes i think i do have spatial awareness issues generally. If i can see something in its entirety im fine, can make a reasonable estimation of length or distance, however if part of it is obscured (similar to not being to see the entire bonnet of the car etc) is when i struggle
    Last edited by heartstringz; 07-04-2015 at 11:40.