+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think you need SOS to have good sleepers.

There are babies who just sleep well. There are some who don't. I have been pretty blessed with good sleepers I guess. My eldest slept through at 4 months before even starting solids and she had a dummy. My son was in our bed for 3 months and he did used to wake once for a feed until 18 months but it was always before I had gone to bed so it wasn't too big a deal. My third slept through at less than a week old (ok it was for 8 hours 11pm-7am) but pretty amazing considering her age and she has been a brilliant sleeper since birth apart from a few hiccups during 4 month wonder week. I had a 4 year old, 2 year old and newborn. I would challenge anyone to have 3 kids that age and follow SOS All my babies have had dummies. They have been fed to sleep (apart from eldest who was ff) My girls slept through before starting solids.

What made sense to me (and I didn't need to read this in a book) was to start a night time routine from birth. Feed, bath, feed, swaddle, cuddle etc. but no set bedtime for such a young age. I found my babies found their own routine. Now I have a 6, 4, 2 year old and they know the exact routine every night. They even know when to turn TV off to go upstairs and have a bath and get ready for bed. I go up and run their baths while they are watching TV, they turn TV off and run upstairs.

I have a friend who is a nanny and swore by tiz whilst minding other people's children and refuses to follow the routine for her own baby.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015),snowqu33n  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    As i said in my OP, this isnt about personal agendas...as in "i dont like Tizzie Hall". Ive only read the new edition of the book and to be honest the politics surrounding her earlier editions make no difference to me. I need help and advice about the current routines
    That's a direct quote from her book and it's not about hating tizzie hall, it's why the methods in the book don't work for everyone.

You'll find plenty of people on here that like the book and use it and will be able to help you with routines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

1. Advocates leaving a baby cry while you have a coffee- basically the time she suggests you leave a baby to protest cry is 3ish minutes which is enough time to make a cup of tea so she suggests that's what you do with that time as you need to look after yourself as a parent too - you can still make a cup of tea while your bub protests and be a good parent - she's hardly saying 'stuff your baby let them emotional cry while you don't give a Shiz about them and be a selfish mum and make a cuppa instead' which is how I'm sure many haters interpret the suggestion.
    But, like I said in my earlier comment, this is open to interpretation. I have a very close friend with a baby the same age as mine and she followed SOS and what she calls a protest cry (she's actually heard my DS' and claimed it was 'only' a protest cry) was actually him absolutely loosing his shizz but she was telling me to leave him. Or like she said one time, 'the book says it's ok to leave him for 12 minutes at this age.' ...............

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    With the kettle thing, yes she did. It says if bub is fighting sleep and your stressed out, leave the room and boil the kettle so your frustration does not stir up the baby even more. Usually by the time the kettle is half boiled bub will be asleep. I think it was meant as more of a tool for keeping your sanity when you are getting stressed out more then ignoring the babys needs.
    She says to be empty the kettle, fill it with cold water, boil the kettle, make a cuppa, and sit and drink it and by the time you've finished, baby should be asleep. She also describes it as a challenge and an "encounter" you can win.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (07-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But, like I said in my earlier comment, this is open to interpretation. I have a very close friend with a baby the same age as mine and she followed SOS and what she calls a protest cry (she's actually heard my DS' and claimed it was 'only' a protest cry) was actually him absolutely loosing his shizz but she was telling me to leave him. Or like she said one time, 'the book says it's ok to leave him for 12 minutes at this age.' ...............
    I've been in the exact same situation a few times. My friend (who followed sos) would be making us coffee and the 8 week old would be screaming and I just wanted to go pick him up and she'd say no he's just whinging, I let him go for xx minutes like it says in the book. By the time she got baby he was red faced with tears *********. Def open to interpretation.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I can't remember where in the book this advice was but I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to a 2 week old. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It is terrible advice though I agree. But it is possible to still follow SOS and not take this advice if you're not comfortable with it. I think that's where the advice of take the bits you feel comfortable with / like and leave the rest.
    That's very sensible advice, and I completely agree with you.

But that's not what Tizzie wants you to do. Did you see the quotation of hers I posted earlier? She wants us to follow it to the letter, which I think is what leads to parental distress. Or potentially leads to distress.

And while I'm here :-) you and I are at way different ends of the scale when it comes to SOS, and that's cool. I don't judge any one who chooses to use it. I don't like the label 'hater' as it's just simply not for me.

But I just want to clarify that my reference to the boil the kettle thing is about the length of time suggested.
    It would take a hell of a lot longer than three minutes for my kettle to boil, let alone the filling it up and the sitting calmly to drink my tea parts. That's what is not for me - that length of time.

I notice, and this isn't directed at you, that often the 'haters' are dismissed as not getting it. Misinterpreting, getting it wrong etc. Last thread someone suggested I could choose another drink instead of tea if I didn't like it.

I feel that it devalues my opinion to be dismissed so easily as this. I have read it. I do get it. I don't misinterpret the 'kettle section' the way you have suggested and I'd be amazed if most 'haters' do interpret it that way. Just clarifying :-)

I hope that comes across alright cos I know how tense these threads can get, and you know I think you're a top chick.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-04-2015),AdornedWithCats  (06-04-2015),BettyV  (07-04-2015),btmacxxx  (07-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Save Our Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    SOS was good in theory but when my dd was born I found the whole thing too strict ie timing feeds, expressing, waking baby just cos it was supposedly time. It took the joy out of having a baby and made more stress than anything. There are definitely parts of the book I found helpful mainly when the baby is older and starting solids but I think babies are young for such a short time, enjoy all the cuddles, snuggles and feeds you can while you can cos they grow quicker than you can imagine. Enjoy your new born.
    So so so so so so true. I wish I'd worried less about everything in regards to sleep, bad habits, etc. The cliché is so true, they grow so fast, soak it up.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-04-2015 at 21:11.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by netispaghetti View Post
    @heplusme

I too read the book before my bub arrived and things seemed sensible at the time but my opinion of SOS changed when I actually had my bub in my arms.

My biggest criticism of SOS is the idea of putting a newborn on a routine from birth. If you plan to breastfeed then following set times rather than your babies needs May affect your supply. It's bub suckling on your nipples that stimulates milk production and in the early days, weeks and during growth spurts it's the frequent feeding that will help with your supply. I found that the SOS timings conflicts with that. So if you plan to breastfeed don't focus on enforcing someone else's idea of a routine because your baby may have different needs and I know that is rather feed my baby to keep her calm than wait an hour for the scheduled feed time!

On another note I do feel like there is so much pressure to follow a routine from such a young age. Both you and bub will have a steep learning curve and for atleast the first few weeks please be kind to yourself and don't stress about a routine. It's a nice goal to work towards but gradually introducing a structure to your day would be beneficial to all involved.

This has worked for us. So we decided that for the first 2 months we followed DD cues and I noticed that after 6 weeks she was starting to feed at regular times. We started a bedtime routine at about 6 weeks and from 8 weeks I have a feeding routine over the day that follows the feed/play/sleep philosophy. But even then we are flexible to DD needs so that it's less stress for everyone involved. Babies change so much in the first few months that I'd say that being flexible and adaptable helps.

So I'd recommend following your instincts. There are many parenting books out there so do read widely to get ideas and relieve anxieties but don't feel like there will be a right answer. It depends on your philosophy and what your bub is like...hope that helps!
    And 1000 times to this!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Maybe your friend just had no idea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you haven't read the book, how can you say the Author says this?

Genuinely confused.
    I think her comment was in regards to any parenting book promising an outcome.