+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh dear, this topic becomes very very heated! I also read the book, and it said never leave a baby to cry if it is upset, just having a whinge/grizzle/ protest, in which case she says to give the baby a chance to self settle if they are whinging (about 5 mins from memory, depending on age), and then go in and pat/ shush/ etc to sleep. She also talks a lot about altering the routines to suit your babies needs, i didnt get the feel that it was ever intended to be rigid - she uses heaps of examples where the suggested routine has to be altered to suit the needs of the baby. I used the routines as a loose guideline, always responding to my child's individual needs first, and gently guiding them into a routine if and how it worked,depending on the needs of my baby. It was very 'gentle'. It seems to be a lot about predicting your childs needs, so they arent screaming from overtiredness or hunger, etc. Also about looking of causes for baby not to sleep - like getting too cold at night. Ahe suggests with a young baby to use more thinner, breathable blankets, so they can be easily removed or added to if bub is too cold or hot. Seems pretty sensible to me?! As in all things, if you follow your babies needs and take what works for you, i think that is the best way to go.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

JET09  (08-04-2015),Mambo  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post

Im not after emotive responses to this question, fact and experience only please. Its scary and confusing enough entering into the world of motherhood without everyone arguing their own agendas. Just help a sista out!

Facts are that she's advocating rugging up kids to a point of being a SIDS risk bc supposedly they settle better. There was a Save our Sleep page on FB a while ago and photos of all the babies rugged up were all sweaty and red faced.

I also really dislike how she has brought out her own Tog suits, dummies. Charges for the book, access to her forum. It's just this huge money making juggernaut.
    Last edited by delirium; 06-04-2015 at 16:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    She's on crack if she thinks it's beneficial to baby or mother

?? How is that comment at all constructive or helpful???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Oh dear, this topic becomes very very heated! I also read the book, and it said never leave a baby to cry if it is upset, just having a whinge/grizzle/ protest, in which case she says to give the baby a chance to self settle if they are whinging (about 5 mins from memory, depending on age), and then go in and pat/ shush/ etc to sleep. She also talks a lot about altering the routines to suit your babies needs, i didnt get the feel that it was ever intended to be rigid - she uses heaps of examples where the suggested routine has to be altered to suit the needs of the baby. I used the routines as a loose guideline, always responding to my child's individual needs first, and gently guiding them into a routine if and how it worked,depending on the needs of my baby. It was very 'gentle'. It seems to be a lot about predicting your childs needs, so they arent screaming from overtiredness or hunger, etc. Also about looking of causes for baby not to sleep - like getting too cold at night. Ahe suggests with a young baby to use more thinner, breathable blankets, so they can be easily removed or added to if bub is too cold or hot. Seems pretty sensible to me?! As in all things, if you follow your babies needs and take what works for you, i think that is the best way to go.
    This is exactly what i read too.

No where did it say to rug them up to the point of being red faced or hot. If anythinf she explained how to tell if they are too hot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I wonder how many people actually read the book and how many just heard shes the devil and go with it. Lol
    I was responding to this statement of yours. It is a comment people often make to critics of the book as a first response kind of thing.

It's hard because it is a very emotive topic, and people on both sides can be defensive, offensive and hurt.

As for cold hard facts:

Her recommendations do contradict SIDS advice.

In earlier editions, she does say to leave babies in their own poo and vomit, as they are being manipulative.

She has stated that her methods must be used exactly.

Her guideline for how long to leave a baby to cry is the same length of time as filling a kettle, letting it boil, pouring a cup of tea and drinking it. For some parents, that is too long a time for them to hear their baby cry.

Some parents, me included, don't believe that their child ever expressed a 'protest' cry. There is debate about what exactly constitutes a protest cry and how identifiable it is.

There are parents that swear by it, and others that just swear about it. I think in the end it actually comes down to mainly emotional factors whether people choose to use it or not.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (06-04-2015),btmacxxx  (06-04-2015),Busy-Bee  (06-04-2015),Clementine Grace  (06-04-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (07-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015),TheGooch  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This is exactly what i read too.

No where did it say to rug them up to the point of being red faced or hot. If anythinf she explained how to tell if they are too hot.
    The tog she suggests is way too much and SIDS groups have condemned her advice as dangerous. Of course she doesn't tell people to rug them to the point of being red faced. But she says a certain amount of blankets with a tog suit which is way too much.

I respect your right to use SOS if it works for you. But people are responding to what you asked for. Why people don't like her. I've given factual stuff. If you choose to stick to what she says then fair enough, but I'm just telling you what SIDS groups have said and their concerns.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (06-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've read it and tried using it early on, until I accepted that my trying to rigidly routineise (?) DS was fruitless and left me anxious and stressed. Things got better when I put the book down. Loose routines from it were helpful but that's about it. I remember doing the leaving to cry thing and building up the minutes, it was awful and didn't work for us, left me feeling awful and a failure for being unable to recognise DS cries.

Read a few books @heplusme and pick the seeds of truth which work for you and your family.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Anndrosa  (07-04-2015),dollypops  (06-04-2015),Gracie81  (06-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input harvs

14. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

harvs  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats interesting, I've never heard that Sids and Kids condemn her book. Do you have any links to this info please?
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The tog she suggests is way too much and SIDS groups have condemned her advice as dangerous. Of course she doesn't tell people to rug them to the point of being red faced. But she says a certain amount of blankets with a tog suit which is way too much.

I respect your right to use SOS if it works for you. But people are responding to what you asked for. Why people don't like her. I've given factual stuff. If you choose to stick to what she says then fair enough, but I'm just telling you what SIDS groups have said and their concerns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read the book before my daughter was born. I thought there were a lot of helpful tips about settling and routines. I liked the chapter on solids.
    When I had my daughter. .. (aside from the fact she was born with medical issues) I couldn't follow it because it didn't work for us.
    I liked the timing of feeds and also used the dream feed she talked about.
    I picked up the book several times in the first month or two to just get a rough idea on routines. ... But I also researched the Internet and asked for advice from other mums.
    It just didn't work for us.
    But I do know other mums who swear by it.
    Interestingly I have one friend who followed it to the letter on her first child. .. When she had her second about 2 years later she tried but her daughter wasn't having a bar of it. And she also said that she knew better by then and wouldn't follow it as strictly as she did the first time.
    She was the reason I bought and read the book.

I think like many things OP. . Read and research... ask advice.... And do what feels right for your family.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-04-2015),harvs  (06-04-2015),heplusme  (06-04-2015)