+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs hun, Im sorry for so many negative responses - this is a REALLY controversial topic and I know that wasnt your intention. I've been on BH for 5+ years (different username originally), and I dont think I've ever seen a SOS thread that wasnt hotly debated - so dont take it personally, its not just you!

Just to add more confusion, I'll tell you my story of how i stumbled upon SOS. My first baby I thought I will just demand feed, baby will feed when hungry, sleep when tired, simple, right? Well it turns out some babies don't 'get' to demand feed. I had a very lazy feeder/ what has been called a 'super sleeper'. When I let her demand her feeds & sleep when she wanted, she just slept and slept for hours. Thankfully I was still in hospy at the time, but she went 10+ hours in between feeds, I could not wake her to feed her, midwives seemed very blase 'oh she'll demand when she wants it', and it was only when a dr came to check on us & checked her blood sugar that i was told her blood sugar was very low, she was very weak and sleepy, and was not able to demand any food. She lost 13% of her birthweight and took over a month to get back to her birthweight. The advice feom LC's, dr's, etc? Wake her every 3 hours & make sure she doesnt fall asleep at the breast before getting a full, proper feed into her. So the whole 'go with the flow, baby will demand when she is hungry' thing got thrown out the window. Thats why SOS fit so well into what I was already doing. I always put bubbas needs first, when she became strong enough that she did start to demand, I NEVER refused a feed because the routine said it wasnt time. I used it flexibly, but it did help. Some babies dont follow the rule of 'put them to the boob at every cry and they will feed'. Some, like mine, would just fall asleep whilst wasting away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Save Our Sleep

Hey OP. A big mwah for you

Don't forget feel free to PM me if you have any SOS specific questions. I will give an honest answer - I am loyal not to a book, an author but rather my own sense of right and wrong. My boys are SOS bubs but they do not cry themselves to sleep or cry for a feed. This morning my 13 month old blew a popoff noise on my boob during a breastfeed, looked at me and laughed. Happy baby My 3 year old cracked me up the other day when he said (while sitting on the toilet) "I pulling my pemis." Another happy kid.

Anyhoo getting a bit off track here. Happy to PM you the details of the SOS fan Facebook group if you want a supportive environment to see what it's all about. Even if you decide it's not for you.
    Last edited by VicPark; 07-04-2015 at 21:45.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Giggle  (08-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been reading along here and there is so much info on here.

I haven't followed SOS, but have had fleeting readings of it here and there... It is on my bookshelf but dusty! I read Baby Wise with my DS and found it really useful! I followed the "feed play sleep" but didn't do any controlled crying (tried for about one minute and couldn't do it!). He slept 12 hrs overnight from 9 weeks (I think more about him than any routine though). When DS was a bit older I stumbled across "Safe Sleep Space"- more about strategies to help bub to sleep than routines, but also very useful. I second Pinky McKay too!

My advice: read a few books, write down or highlight the bits you like the sound of and then when bub arrives create your own plan from those bits. Maybe, if you are planning on breastfeeding read a book/ information about that and how the science/ physiology of it works so that you can include that in your decision making.

It might feel like you won't know what to do, but once bub arrives you might just surprise yourself! Believe in yourself and your Mummy insticts (they do exist!), and, as I read somewhere- the greatest need a baby has is to be loved (and of course fed, sleep). Good luck with finding what suits you!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Save Our Sleep

I've followed SOS from three months with my second son.

I personally like to leave the first three months as feed/sleep on demand/adjustment/welcome to planet earth period

After three months you can sort of look at what pattern (if any) they have fallen into and start to tweak it a little (stretching it bringing forward sleeps/feeds) to establish the routines in the SOS book. I found by doing this my baby got onto the routine without having to cry and learnt to self settle very quickly.

What I love about SOS is that I can assured my babies needs are always met. I can say with 100% confidence if he is grizzly what is wrong. The whole instinctive mothering thing never came to me overnight or naturally it was something I and to learn and that's ok. I honestly feel like SOS makes me a more confident Mum.

Everyone is different and I think it's great you have an open mind to different ideas/methods and this will make it so much easier to find your groove (no matter what "style") when your baby is born.

PS
    If you are interested in learning more about SOS I recommend the Facebook group they are a really supportive group.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giggle For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-04-2015),VicPark  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    I've followed SOS from three months with my second son.

I personally like to leave the first three months as feed/sleep on demand/adjustment/welcome to planet earth period

After three months you can sort of look at what pattern (if any) they have fallen into and start to tweak it a little (stretching it bringing forward sleeps/feeds) to establish the routines in the SOS book. I found by doing this my baby got onto the routine without having to cry and learnt to self settle very quickly.

What I love about SOS is that I can assured my babies needs are always met. I can say with 100% confidence if he is grizzly what is wrong. The whole instinctive mothering thing never came to me overnight or naturally it was something I and to learn and that's ok. I honestly feel like SOS makes me a more confident Mum.

Everyone is different and I think it's great you have an open mind to different ideas/methods and this will make it so much easier to find your groove (no matter what "style") when your baby is born.

PS
    If you are interested in learning more about SOS I recommend the Facebook group they are a really supportive group.
    I'm not being funny but by 3 months, I knew what my babies needed by that age without using sos.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm not being funny but by 3 months, I knew what my babies needed by that age without using sos.
    Here we go!!!

Well good on you! My DS is almost 7 months and I still have no idea!

Not everyone is as lucky or as perfect as you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Soon2be4  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's ok I get what your saying and I understand how it can seem strange to some. I think I just lack confidence in my abilities that's all. Not saying I couldn't be a good parent without SOS but it just helped me is all.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giggle For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-04-2015),Soon2be4  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    By 3 months I started to have more of an idea but I still didn't know enough to help my bub sleep through. With nr 2 I forgot stuff and made some same mistakes I had made with nr 2!

So SOS helped provide me with a toolkit I drew on and voila by 4-5 months bubs were sleeping 7pm-7am.

If at 3 months you are comfortable that you know bubs needs and you are happy with bubs sleep then you don't need SOS. Even if you weren't happy there are other methods out there that definitely could work - I would only recommend SOS to people who are planners/non attachment style parents.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Giggle  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The only thing I'd like to advise the OP is that whilst SOS might suit some parents it doesn't mean they will suit all babies. If your bub has reflux, intolerances, is high needs or has an anxious personality SOS and any other 'training' methods will not suit.

some kids just go from happy to screaming banshee (no protest cry), other kids are koala babies ( need constant carrying). None of us know how our babies will turn out till they are born. Then it will truly be trial and error till you and bub sort yourselves out.

This doesn't mean that you are a bad mum nor that you have a difficult baby. It just means you might need to find another method of parenting that works for you and bub.

I'm saying this from experience. I've got two and expecting my third. Whilst I'm a super dooper organised person that schedules every second of my day, parenting turned that upside down. My first was an easy baby as long as she was in my arms but has ended up a routine toddler/preschooler. My second is very laid back so I could put her down more often as a baby and is still laid back. I've got no idea what my third will be. I do know that a SOS schedule with a third won't work as I've got school and kindy drop offs to do.

Additionally think about what you and your family do as a family. We do family dinners and sat night church every week so a strict schedule and only using the cot as a bed wouldn't have worked here.

The PP have given some great suggestions. Baby love, sleeping like a baby and no cry sleep solutions are great to read. Dr Sears has good advice too.

Lastly if you do decide to use SOS even hard core supporters will suggest you wait till 8-10wks to implement the method. The first few weeks is essential to establish bf and to enjoy your baby.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (08-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (08-04-2015),Redcorset  (08-04-2015),VicPark  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Here we go!!!

Well good on you! My DS is almost 7 months and I still have no idea!

Not everyone is as lucky or as perfect as you!
    Chill out. Giggle seemed to understand what she was saying. Sometimes comments are not meant to be awful or offensive or somebody on a high horse.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (08-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-04-2015)