+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never read a parenting book.
    What ever happened to just doing what works for you and your baby?

*Actually, I lie. I read my first parenting book a few weeks ago, but that was about how to get your older kids to listen to what the fruck you're saying. THAT, my friends, is where the hard work starts.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-04-2015),smallpotatoes  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I've never read a parenting book.
    What ever happened to just doing what works for you and your baby?

*Actually, I lie. I read my first parenting book a few weeks ago, but that was about how to get your older kids to listen to what the fruck you're saying. THAT, my friends, is where the hard work starts.
    If youve never had anything to do with babies and have no family or friends with children close by your options are limited. I dont know where to start with what works for me and my baby. Which is why i am seeking advice.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (07-04-2015),VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Save Our Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    If youve never had anything to do with babies and have no family or friends with children close by your options are limited. I dont know where to start with what works for me and my baby. Which is why i am seeking advice.
    Can I just ask, have you definitely decided you want to do SOS and want no other opinions about helpful books or websites that help a mum-to-be that's going into this thing called motherhood blind? There are a lot of books and websites out there with a wide variety of advice from feeding to sleeping to understanding developmental milestones and also how developmental milestones affect sleep. If that's the case, maybe start a thread asking for advice on how to implement SOS in the pro-SOS section.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (07-04-2015),btmacxxx  (08-04-2015),delirium  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh I know that feeling! I was the first around me to have a baby too. It is good you are gathering some info; I must admit I went in probably just a *little* too blind when I had my first. But honestly just being on this forum and reading snippets of info will be enough, just enough to give you a general idea of roughly how many naps a day, how often to feed etc.... but rough ideas, I think is the key. Because then if you are aware that baby's seem to be fed every 3 hours or so, if your baby wants to feed every 2 hours, then you know that it is roughly around the average and that that is ok.
    Whereas IMO if you are given a schedule to follow (baby following schedules? haha!) then you are more likely to stress out when it doesn't happen. And a stressed mumma only snowballs into more problems and a more unsettled baby.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    In the early days my suggestion is work on a feed / 'play' / feed / sleep routine.

So you feed your baby ( whether that be breast or bottle) their play time is just awake cuddles and a nappy change, then feed again (if breast offer second boob, if bottle finish bottle) then sleep. In the first weeks they will likely feed to sleep, then put them down to sleep.

The first 6 weeks you want to keep awake time (feed/play/feed) to no more than 1 hour to avoid overtiredness. It's the number one reason babies are hard to settle (that and being hungry).

In fact it helps if you don't have family and friends around as you don't need to pass bub around for cuddles which overstimulates them, they stay awake for longer than an hour, don't feed well then become overtired and find it hard to sleep.

I hope that helps.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (07-04-2015),MINIRoo  (07-04-2015),VicPark  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Oh and Jo Ryan's Baby Bliss is all about schedules, but is gentler than SOS. It works off the similar scenario I just wrote for the first 3 months then moves on to schedules at 3 months plus.

She is the one who gave the tip of 1hr awake time and it worked perfectly for us.

So if you want a schedule I'd recommend her too

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-04-2015),smallpotatoes  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally found that the midwives at my local clinic are a wealth of information. I had no one who was able to help me as they never understood that my method of parenting was more attachment. Even though you may not have family or a personal support network, please know that your not alone and there is help out there.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read the book at the advice of my cousin who uses it when I was struggling with my sons chronic reflux and in desperate lack of sleep, I got to the part where she said put the baby down and go and make a cup of tea while they are crying and take your time and stopped reading. I think it's rest to stick to routine but I have a lot of issues with her methods, like the vomiting issue and the they are only doing a poo to get out of going to sleep thing. I prefer to just do what my kids needs when they need it. Dd is 5 and still a bad sleeper but she has sleeping issues like I do, ds was rocked/patted/worn to sleep and now at 18 months old is very capable of self settling he learnt to do that himself. I think the timings are good but I'm far too spontaneous for that haha

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Save Our Sleep

*disclaimer* I haven't read more than the first few chapters of SOS.
    OP, with the greatest respect you seem to have decided that SOS is the option for you....and that's fine! However the reason I (and I think many posters on here) are urging you to keep an open mind, is that you will be shocked at what having a baby does to your pre-conceived ideas. If you are like me, you have grand plans about making your baby into a "good" child with strict routines etc, etc. however my plans fell apart when DD didn't agree with them. I hated hearing her cry, she hated sleeping and breastfeeding. We failed sleep school 3 times, until a lovely ELC worker said to me "you're just going to have to follow her cues, she's not ready to follow yours". That night we co-slept and started formula feeds....and that is what worked for us. Very different from my original imaginings! For my baby, sos would have been a disaster. I hope things are easier for you and that sos works. Just remember that parenting does need to be a bit trial and error until you find what works for you both. Don't put too much pressure on your self and hubs to follow just one school of thought...there's heaps of fantastic info out there! Good luck

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver flute For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used tizzy halls methods for my baby a few months ago because he was constantly waking. He wasn't hungry or anything either he just didn't know how to get himself back to sleep after a sleep cycle . I don't follow her routines religiously ( we have our own that's working) but since trying out her methods my son is now sleeping through 9 times out of 10 and having better naps. It's a personal choice really. He cries for a bit (no more than half an hour) if he does wake but he gets himsel to sleep most of the time. If he's sick or something then of course I'll feed him more or whatever. I now have a well rested baby, I wouldn't do it with a very young baby though.