+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Save Our Sleep

So i just finished reading Save our Sleep by Tizzie Hall. I thought it was very informative.

I have seen people commenting here before saying they dont agree with Tizzie Hall or SOS so im wondering what the issues are people with experience have with it? I thought it seemed quite reasonable (no prolonged crying etc) but i have no experience. Want to know both sides before i go with it.

Did you find the routines worked for your bubs and you?

Thanks everyone

ETA This thread was has been created by a soon to be first time Mum simply looking for advice without emotive stigmas attached. Obviously i am considering following this routine so if you cannot offer any experience as to why you do or dont like the routies without arguing please refrain from commenting. Im after genuine advice, not pushing personal adgendas!
    Last edited by heplusme; 06-04-2015 at 16:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the criticism tends to come from the fact that SOS is very much parent-led, seems very rigid, and doesn't encourage responsiveness to the baby's emotional and psychological needs. I spoke to a psych once who deals a lot with new mothers and she said it's fine to follow any of those other parenting/settling/sleep books except Tizzie Hall. A lot of baby care experts think she's the devil apparently!

Personally I think you should do whatever works for you and gives you a happy, healthy baby & mum.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Save Our Sleep

I think from memory she went against SIDS advice and recommended using several blankets at night.

She also recommended not changing certain babies as they can pooh in command to avoid sleeping (I disagree with this one - even of it is true I ain't leaving any of my babies in pooh)

The routines themselves worked really well with my first (was a great sleeper I just needed guidance with when to wake him/how long to keep him up) but didn't work at all with my second (not a great sleeper) so I suppose you take away what you want from it and what works for your baby.

Actually there was advice about night feeding which I implemented with both children and worked really well for us!!!
    Last edited by Meld85; 06-04-2015 at 15:41.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Save Our Sleep

@heplusme are you just looking for advice from people who feel they've used it successfully or even who have tried it? Or from people who wouldn't recommend it as well?

Not sure if you've done a search for similar threads but they tend to get very heated as it is an emotive subject. It might be worth clarifying in your OP exactly what you're hoping to learn from this thread :-)

ETA I know you did say you want to know both sides but just wondering if you want experience only or opinion too. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I think the criticism tends to come from the fact that SOS is very much parent-led, seems very rigid, and doesn't encourage responsiveness to the baby's emotional and psychological needs. I spoke to a psych once who deals a lot with new mothers and she said it's fine to follow any of those other parenting/settling/sleep books except Tizzie Hall. A lot of baby care experts think she's the devil apparently!

Personally I think you should do whatever works for you and gives you a happy, healthy baby & mum.
    Thats strange, she recommends never ignoring an emotional baby and just says to learn to recognize the cries so you dont pick them up when they are falling asleep but only 'protesting'. She says she does not agree with controlled crying at all as you arnt responding to the needs of the baby if they are really emotional. I wonder how many people actually read the book and how many just heard shes the devil and go with it. Lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    I think from memory she went against SIDS advice and recommended using several blankets at night.

She also recommended not changing certain babies as they can pooh in command to avoid sleeping (I disagree with this one - even of it is true I ain't leaving any of my babies in pooh)

The routines themselves worked really well with my first (was a great sleeper I just needed guidance with when to wake him/how long to keep him up) but didn't work at all with my second (not a great sleeper) so I suppose you take away what you want from it and what works for your baby.

Actually there was advice about night feeding which I implemented with both children and worked really well for us!!!
    Oh, i didnt read anything about leaving them in poo..maybe they have updated the book since then

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Save Our Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Thats strange, she recommends never ignoring an emotional baby and just says to learn to recognize the cries so you dont pick them up when they are falling asleep but only 'protesting'. She says she does not agree with controlled crying at all as you arnt responding to the needs of the baby if they are really emotional. I wonder how many people actually read the book and how many just heard shes the devil and go with it. Lol
    Lots of us have read the book. I did read the whole book and, for me personally and my style of parenting, I am completely against her methods. Be careful of dismissing critics of the method of simply not getting it or not having read it.

A big sticking point in the past has been this issue of 'recognising cries'. There are also people who object to the length of time she recommends waiting for.

A lot of people will respond to criticism by saying that you should tweak it to suit yourself. I've been dying for an SOS thread to come up so I can link the article where she herself states that it has to be followed exactly. I'll try and dig it up...

Found it! I can't link because it is from a rival forum. But here it is in black and white:

"Hall says she has never encountered a child whose sleep problems have not been resolved using her methods – with the caveat that every step of her strict routine must be implemented.

"You have to do it exactly my way. You have to follow the routine, you have to follow the bedding. You have to follow the feeding," she says."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (06-04-2015),Clementine Grace  (06-04-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Oh, i didnt read anything about leaving them in poo..maybe they have updated the book since then
    When I had my first child, who is now 10, she had an internet page that was actually free to access (she now charges ). She clearly said on there, (and I think in the earlier versions of the book) that babies poo and vomit to manipulate and to leave them with dirty bums until they fall asleep and to put towels under them so when they 'deliberately' puked you could take them away. She also advocated no eye contact, and leaving the baby cry while Mum went off for a coffee in the kitchen.

She's copped some huge flack over the years and seems to have softened her language and message.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Be careful of dismissing critics of the method of simply not getting it or not having read it.
    Im not dismissing anything. Im simply asking for advice as i am a first time Mum and i would like to hear from other women who have experienced this. The fact is, i read no where to leave your baby in poo, which is not dismissing, thats just a fact.

Im not after emotive responses to this question, fact and experience only please. Its scary and confusing enough entering into the world of motherhood without everyone arguing their own agendas. Just help a sista out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's on crack if she thinks it's beneficial to baby or mother

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-04-2015),Busy-Bee  (06-04-2015),Clementine Grace  (06-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-04-2015)