+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

Default Insomnia

So for the first time in my life, I have insomnia. It is horrendous and driving me batsh!t crazy!

For those poor souls who have/are also sufferers, what can I do? Any tips? Would taking some sort of natural sleep aid like valerian help?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have insomnia any more, but when i had PND I did struggle most nights to get to sleep. Heres my tips:

-Don't go to bed if you are anxious or upset, all you will do is lie there and think about it. Either hash it out with DH/partner, or read a book/distract yourself until it passes.

- Be active during the day, sounds obvious but if you are exhausted you will fall asleep more easily

- Don't go to bed until you are actually tired

- Epsom salt bath - absorbs the magnesium which helps relax the body

- Breathing technique - This has worked for me a couple of times, not always though. If you don't want to read the whole article its basically breath in through your nose for as long as possible, hold for as long as possible, then breath out for as long as possible (Thats my altered version as i found the exact method difficult as I have asthma). Its supposed to slow down the heart rate. First time i tried i was asleep within a few seconds no joke!
    http://www.byrdie.com/how-to-fall-asleep-fast

- Last resort - Medication. I haven't really tried any natural alternatives, but use phernergan or an over the counter Sleep Aid. The sleep aid I only take 1/2 a tab and it knocks me out all night!

Good luck, I hate insomnia, its like the only time of day you have to yourself and instead of enjoying it you lie there getting stressed out because you can't sleep!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get insomnia due to thyroid issues. My tips are:

get out during the day in the fresh air and exercise
    Don't eat too close to bedtime
    Do something relaxing before bed - hot bath or shower, read a book etc. definitely turn off all screens inc. phone 30 mins before bed.
    Try and go to bed when I'm tired - not too early because then I just lie there but on the other hand waiting until it's too late makes it difficult to fall asleep as well.
    No matter how tired you are try and avoid napping during the day
    Get up at a reasonable time. Sleeping in can just make the cycle worse.

Good luck! Feeling like a walking zombie during the day is not fun.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would go through nights and nights of insomnia and really all I could do would be push through. Eventually you get so tired you do sleep. Having said that:
    • Avoid tea/coffee/soft drinks, and anything really sweet after lunch time. There is the temptation to make it through each day hyped on sugar or caffeine but then you definitely won't sleep that next night.
    • Healthy diet. There's also the temptation to guts on carbs for energy but then your body rebels by feeling super sluggish and blah
    • Exercise. You won't feel like it but it releases endorphins and tires you out, which will ultimately help you sleep later.
    • Get outside in the fresh air and sunshine. Vitamin D is important in balancing hormones, which will in turn help with managing stress and getting a sound sleep
    • Journal any of those thoughts that are keeping you up at night. Getting them out of your head by writing them down seems to free up you mind.
    I've used valerian tablets and they do help you go to sleep but not necessarily stay asleep, so you can do yourself a disservice by taking them. I found in my worst bouts of insomnia I'd still stay awake despite the tablets and then feel doubly 5h!t the next day.

A couple of things that have helped me are taking Nature's Way Rest and Restore tablets. They are a night time multi-vitamin and really have helped with a restful sleep. And learning to meditate. Once you have those deep breathing techniques down pat you will always be able to calm your mind enough to be able to sleep. Meditation has helped me on so many levels, I can't recommend it highly enough.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had sleep problems on and off all my life. Since having trouble falling to sleep because of my anxiety, I've needed a regular sleep med and ended up on Zolpidem 10mg which I purcahsed through www.generic-meds-store.com and quite successfully, until now. I don't take it every night but several nights a week. It helps me a lot, putting me to sleep within about 20 minutes. With Zolpidem, I could get more rest in 5-6 hours than in 9 hours previously I really believe that this drug it is extremely safe when used properly.
    Last edited by katherine02; 21-07-2015 at 22:38.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Insomnia

Did I read elsewhere that you're on steroids at the moment?

Eta: not sure if I'm off base but if that's the case, due to the nature of the drug I found nothing helped while taking them until I had tapered right down. I sat up all night watching movies and catnapped here and there when I could and my body would allow me. If it's going to be long term talk to the dr about something that might help you sleep. It's shiiiiiit!
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 21-07-2015 at 23:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @harvs there is a few great ideas here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

harvs  (27-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    @harvs there is a few great ideas here.
    Thank you! I should've done a search first. So lazy...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Thank you! I should've done a search first. So lazy...
    No, just tired you poor thing.