+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Big W often have InfaSecure Neons on special...we got one for our second car a couple of months ago for $115. Ds is still rear facing at 14 months at almost 14kg! And a few cm off the marker still too.

Eta: if you do end up looking for a new one.
    This is what I was going to suggest too. The neons are a fantastic seat. My DD is also nearly 14kg and miles off the height markers for forward facing. I just think for $150 (if you didn't get it on sale) you wouldn't have to worry and you know it's safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Car seat advice while in OZ (sorry, long!)

Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    In Australia because of the way our harnesses thread the straps need to be above or level with the shoulders when rf.
    For us for rf the shoulder strap needs to start just below the shoulder so it's wrapping over. The harness doesn't look different than our usual seat???? It's all so weird! Why can't Australia just follow the rest of the world?! I used to think Australia must have had the stricter standards but after researching new seats yesterday I don't think that's necessarily the case.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-04-2015 at 14:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The galaxy sports is just a no frills version of car seat so lacks all the padding of something like the maxi cozy which is on the other end of the spectrum.
    Its within the 10yr use period so would be perfectly safe to use and i think i saw your bub is 14mths? So not a newborn needing the padding inserts for support.

And yes our carseat restraints are fitted with the straps coming from just above the shoulder i dont know how that compares to the rest of the world but its the standard here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm also from UK and want baby to be rear facing for as long as possible. I couldn't tell from your first post whether the maxicosi is the first stage one but we have been using the first stage rear facing maxi cosi for the last few months as it was easier to bring over in luggage. Our baby is almost 17 months and while he is a bit squished I'm going on weight and he's only 10.2kg so still under the 13kg limit.
    So if you've got the first stage maxi cosi you could probably still use it as I'm sure you would feel more secure using one you are familiar with. And yes in regards to legality I know our isofix ones aren't legal but I'm basing my decision on safety rather than whether or not I might get fined. If they are safe to use in Europe without the top tether I am happy to carry on using them here and just risk the fine if caught. We have a britax second stage one that swivels so can be forward or rearward facing until about age 4. We only bought in few months ago in UK and it was expensive so I'm not planning to buy a new one here just because it doesn't meet the Australian standards.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I'm also from UK and want baby to be rear facing for as long as possible. I couldn't tell from your first post whether the maxicosi is the first stage one but we have been using the first stage rear facing maxi cosi for the last few months as it was easier to bring over in luggage. Our baby is almost 17 months and while he is a bit squished I'm going on weight and he's only 10.2kg so still under the 13kg limit.
    So if you've got the first stage maxi cosi you could probably still use it as I'm sure you would feel more secure using one you are familiar with. And yes in regards to legality I know our isofix ones aren't legal but I'm basing my decision on safety rather than whether or not I might get fined. If they are safe to use in Europe without the top tether I am happy to carry on using them here and just risk the fine if caught. We have a britax second stage one that swivels so can be forward or rearward facing until about age 4. We only bought in few months ago in UK and it was expensive so I'm not planning to buy a new one here just because it doesn't meet the Australian standards.
    It's the maxi cosi pearl but not the new two way one so think it's stage 1, possibly 1 and 2. I definitely feel better about it in regards to safety rather than the safe-n-sound, it's more that I'd like him rear-facing as well. A few friends have replied that they have rear-facing so I have a couple I can borrow if I decide not to use the maxi-cosi anymore.

I don't really care about a fine but I was wondering if we got in an accident and insurance discovered the seat was 'illegal' if we'd get screwed that way? Or is it doubtful they'd even find out unless DS was injured?

Out of curiosity, what britax did you grab in the UK? I was thinking of grabbing the Dualfix when we got back to the UK as he'll probably be ready for the next stage but with the new standards I think I'm now leaning more towards the maxi-cosy 2way pearl as it has iSize. Britax isn't manufacturing iSize yet. I think I prefer Europe's standards though and happy to see the UK adopting them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wish they would make rear-facing to 15 months mandatory here. So many people turn FF to early.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely. I'd ideally like to keep DS rf until at least 2 and the seats I'm currently looking at purchasing can most likely go older.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Wish they would make rear-facing to 15 months mandatory here. So many people turn FF to early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Don't know how I missed this Lilly! Thanks for the advice on the Galaxy. SIL bought the maxi-cosi when she lived in Singapore. I've put the Galaxy away for now and two friends have other rf to borrow so I'll start looking into what they've got .

Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Firstly, ISOFIX are now legal in Australia if the seat was purchased in Australia and meets the 2013 AUS/NZ safety requirements. So, if the Maxi Cosi you have was purchased in Australia and meets the standards, and the car you're using has ISOFIX, then you can use this seat.

Having said that, if your Maxi Cosi doesn't meet the above...

I had a Safe'n'Sound Galaxy Classic that I bought for my first baby all the way back in 2006. It was a great seat, and I used it for my subsequent 3 children as well, and was only retired about 3 months ago when #4 got too big for it (he's just turned 3yo).

I know that with the new standards, it wouldn't rate very highly on the CREP testing that is done, so it's not a seat that I would buy to use (not that you can buy it now anyway) these days, but since we had it and nothing was wrong with it, we decided to use it, though our bigger seats that we use now are all much higher rated.

The thing with the Galaxy is that it only rear faces until 12kg, so if your son is under that, then you can rear face in it no worries, otherwise it will need to be forward facing. As I said, it's a seat that I used for all of my children and never had an issue, it was a good, reliable seat, however it didn't provide the most protection if in the case of an accident (I didn't know any of this sort of thing when we first bought it).

So, if you're *only* choice is the Safe'n'Sound, then use it, but a preferable option would be to get a higher rated seat for use whilst you are here. There are some cheap ones on the market if cost is an issue. If buying isn't an option, I'd use the Galaxy provided it had never been in an accident and all the straps look fine with no wearing/fraying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Definitely. I'd ideally like to keep DS rf until at least 2 and the seats I'm currently looking at purchasing can most likely go older.
    I kept DS rf til 18months but wished it could have been longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have the dual fix and I love it. So easy to put him as you swivel it to side. He definitely prefers to be forward facing as he's been ff a couple times in rental cars but we just put up with his whinging and figure he can't complain too much if he doesn't know any different! The dualfix can be rf until about 4 I think. We prob won't last that long but we will see.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post: