+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mt Gambier

Hi all, looking for some current advice from people who live/ed in Mt Gambier! We currently live in Tennant Creek in the NT, not enjoyable and recently hubby has been offered a job in Mt Gambier. We are seriously considering the move but I just want some local insight to hospital (new baby due in October, no private health cover), play groups for my 2 year old, areas to avoid/live (we are from the territory and are pretty accustomed to social issues), things to consider etc! Anything is much appreciated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pearlsandjandals For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I live in Hamilton which is a town about an hour away. I go to 'the Mount' about every fortnight to do a big shop. The hospital is pretty great, I've had experience (not baby related though). It's picturesque and is pretty close to cool stuff like the Grampians, Great Ocean Road, etc. I'm not sure about where to avoid, etc. as I've never lived there but wish you all the best

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chillies For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (06-04-2015),PinkSmarties  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @PinkSmarties does I think! I'm about 2hrs away so not much help

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pmakes3 For This Useful Post:

pearlsandjandals  (05-04-2015),PinkSmarties  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From everything I've read it sounds beautiful Thanks for your input so far

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Chillies - I didn't realise you were so close to me. I'm just west of Horsham and actually heading down your way next weekend.

Back on track - mt gambier is awesome, big range of shopping, I live about 2 hours away and will drive there for the day just to shop!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (05-04-2015),Mrs Tickle  (06-04-2015),pearlsandjandals  (05-04-2015),PinkSmarties  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op if you would like to pm me specific questions about living in mt g id be happy to answer as best i can. Lived there about 10 years. Still have family there.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkj For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (05-04-2015),Mrs Tickle  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmakes3 View Post
    @PinkSmarties does I think! I'm about 2hrs away so not much help
    Correct! I do live in Mt G.

OP, what I will say is this: be ready for a climate change! It's really cold here especially in winter!

The hospital here is fantastic. They've just done a heap of renovations to it and it's very nice. Staff are efficient, like everywhere it has one or two rotten apples but I had DD via elective C-Sec at the hospital here & will be having #3 there too and had no problems.

There are several playgroups in the mount, tumble weeds active group, a musical playgroup run via the Salvation Army. Childcare is also easily accessible and the schools here are all really good.

We are pretty spoilt as there are lots of things within easy reach from here - Portland, Hamilton and Warrnambool are all nice places and within 2.5-3hrs respectively from here.

For a small(ish) town it goes alright, I moved here 9yrs ago and I wouldn't leave

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkSmarties For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (08-04-2015),Mrs Tickle  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG, I have just posted this very question in the general forum when this popped up in the feed.

And I used to live in Tennant Creek! Lol.

I, too, am looking at a move to Mt Gambier for possible employment and a house. It looks good on paper but obviously having the recommendation of people who have lived there is far more valuable.

Just wondering if there are any facilities available for children with special needs?

Thanks.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lived in Millicent (30 mins From the Mount in SA) used to venture there regularly. Moved back to the city but really miss being there. The weather will be a shock - it's cold and very wet in winter!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MrsTickle! We must be star crossed friends, just was at the food barn today. That was fun. Just listening to some neighbours fighting now, might switch on the 1980s air con now to drown it out!

What kind of place/job you looking for in Mt Gambier that offers housing?!