+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anti D injections

I'm so confused! I have A positive blood, but my gp told me that my first blood test results indicate i will need anti D injections. I thought they were only needed if you have a negative blood type? I never had them with my first pregnancy. I've been trying to google it but all i find is info relating to negative blood groups.
    It was awhile ago (at 5 weeks when i first found out i was pregnant) and with everything else going on with needing the amnio and the possible trisomy 18, I'm wondering if this is something that needs to be brought up with the dr doing my amnio?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also thought it was just if you're a negative blood group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You only need anti d shots if you're rh negative. Bring it up with your dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also only thought it was if you have a negative blood type. I've had them for all 4 of my DD plus m/c's and only after 1 of the births as she was the only positive blood blood type.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm rh negative and had them in all 3 pregnancies. I had cvs and amnio with my first but can't remember if I had anti d after them or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also B positive but because my positive is very weak I am treated as a b negative by the hospital and have to have anti D. I also only had this for the first time after my first baby was born and then treated as such for both pregnancies after. Perhaps you are the same?
    Last edited by TanD; 05-04-2015 at 19:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm that's a good point TanD. I also wonder if my low papp-a has something to do with it too. I'll have to check with my dr next time i see her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never heard of this. I have only ever given anti d to rhesus negative women. I'm a bit confused by the PP who said she was a "weak" rhesus positive. Again, I have never seen or heard of this. You're either rhesus positive or you're not.

The reason women who are rhesus negative are given anti d is because they lack the Rhesus factor, therefore their body produces more antibodies to protect against foreign cells - namely those of a rhesus positive baby. At birth there is a chance that there may be a mix of mum and babies blood as the placenta separates - which is why we check babies blood group at birth. If baby is negative, there's no issue, but if baby is positive the mother needs anti d to stop her body producing antibodies. Same thing if there are any bleeds or invasive procedures performed during the pregnancy, the anti d is given prophylactically to stop any cross contamination (for lack of a better word).

I would be going back to your doctor and asking them again for their reasoning and also literature to back them up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

ssehl  (05-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TanD View Post
    I am also B positive but because my positive is very weak I am treated as a b negative by the hospital and have to have anti D. I also only had this for the first time after my first baby was born and then treated as such for both pregnancies after. Perhaps you are the same?
    That's weird. You're either positive or you're not. Did they explain this any further? (Sorry for being nosey, it's just that I've studied pathology and blood types at uni recently and this is something I've never heard of so I'm quite interested)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (05-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think i better double check! She def said i needed it. I really can't remember why she said i needed it, but I def have a positive blood.