+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Moving to a toddler bed, will this work?

So in about 4 weeks time we re moving to our newly built house and DDs new room is going to be massive! So we can fit both her cot and a single bed in it.

So I was thinking I could transition her by putting her in her bed and tell he she needs to stay in bed or else we will put her in her cot.

She will get 2 chances, first time we return we will tell her that she needs to get back into bed and if she gets out again she will sleep in her cot instead. Then if she ignores the warning we will put her in her cot.

This way we don't waste our time returning her into bed numerous times and if we follow through with the threat of going in her cot, she will hopefully cotton on to stay in her bed.

Has anyone tried this? Has it worked? Can anyone see any issues with this method from their own experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like a good plan to me!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old is she @A-Squared? I recently put DS in a toddler bed and he has not gotten out at all. Been about a month now and all is well. Got him a Groclock and he loves it, he knows when the star is showing he has to be in bed. He is 3.5 though, I didn't move him from the cot until he started to climb out. Do you need her out of the cot? If not and she is happy in it and not climbing out I would leave her in it. Still set up the big bed and wait until she asks to sleep in it. Then use your plan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (05-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't know, she might want to go back to the cot? When we moved DS1 at 21 months we dismantled the cot so it just wasn't an option. We planned to get little sleep over a weekend and started on a Friday night. One of us sat outside his door and we quietly returned him to bed when he got up. I think this went on for 90 minutes. He then slept all night.

By Sunday night he was going to bed and not getting up.

DS2... well he just crawled into his bed one night at 18 months and that was it. Love it when they just want to copy their siblings!

You would know your DD, if she doesn't want to be in the cot it might work, but it could backfire.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    How old is she @A-Squared? I recently put DS in a toddler bed and he has not gotten out at all. Been about a month now and all is well. Got him a Groclock and he loves it, he knows when the star is showing he has to be in bed. He is 3.5 though, I didn't move him from the cot until he started to climb out. Do you need her out of the cot? If not and she is happy in it and not climbing out I would leave her in it. Still set up the big bed and wait until she asks to sleep in it. Then use your plan.
    She just turned 3. She doesn't climb out or hate her cot, so I like your idea of still setting it up but waiting until she asks to sleep in it. She can at least still play on her bed in the day to get her used to it.

Thanks for the tip!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (05-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilicious View Post
    I don't know, she might want to go back to the cot? When we moved DS1 at 21 months we dismantled the cot so it just wasn't an option. We planned to get little sleep over a weekend and started on a Friday night. One of us sat outside his door and we quietly returned him to bed when he got up. I think this went on for 90 minutes. He then slept all night.

By Sunday night he was going to bed and not getting up.

DS2... well he just crawled into his bed one night at 18 months and that was it. Love it when they just want to copy their siblings!

You would know your DD, if she doesn't want to be in the cot it might work, but it could backfire.
    I had also thought about your technique - it sounds like the super nanny technique I had always planned on using.

DD is very strong willed though and it may take far longer than 90 minutes. But it is worth a try if she's hating her cot and actually wants to go in the bed.

Thanks ladies! Something to think about!

I also will get a gro clock. DD is great with colours and will love having some form of night light, especially being in a new room in a new house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Taking a gentle approach, I would set up both and do stories in the bed and ask her if she wants to sleep in the bed and follow her lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the massive change in moving house she might want to comfort if her cot for a while so if you don't have other pressures I wouldn't force it. Good luck! We are bed shopping at the moment.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (05-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Taking a gentle approach, I would set up both and do stories in the bed and ask her if she wants to sleep in the bed and follow her lead.
    Yeah we will ask her first where she wants to sleep. I won't force it as I want her to be ready or we will struggle.

Are you buying a toddler bed or single bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we moved house we put the cot and new single bed into DD's bedroom. We didn't even mention the bed and she just slept in the cot for about 2 weeks. One day I took the mattress out of the cot and when we went into her room I said oh no, there's no mattress, you'll have to sleep in the bed. Went into her bed without a murmur and never got out. We took the cot out that afternoon. It was ridiculously easy. She was 2.5.