Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know there are obstetric gps at armadale hosp

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Pinkpopside: thanks. I'll ask.

I sent the public hospital an email asking them about the OOP fees since they encourage people to be admitted as priv patient. As usual, I don't expect to get a swift response. I would have given them a call but it is a bit inconvenient to make phone call at work.

Thanks everyone who replied. If anyone else wants to comment, please do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify it was approximately $4000 OOP which included the $2800 management fee. That's after we got money back from Medicare. The management fee was by far the biggest part of our OOP expense and different OB charge different fees. From what friends have told me, our OB was on the expensive side compared to how much some of them paid. So you could go private for even less depending on which OB you chose. It seems to be so variable!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the public system. I went private because I liked the private rooms and facilities at the private hospital and I liked that I could stay longer as we have no family support. We were made to feel we could stay as long as we felt necessary (why not our instance was paying their substantial bill!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's no gap, so he only charges what phi will cover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    With my fourth, I went to a public hospital as a private patient.

I had zero out of pocket fees, because the OB I saw was on staff at the public hospital. She took on a small number of private patients. I can't remember how it worked exactly, just that I wasn't charged anything.

In the end I had a high risk pregnancy and it was lucky that I was already booked into a public hospital with a NICU.

I had a c/s and the anethetist didn't charge me any out of pocket expenses either, I'm not too sure if it was because I had a prem baby or because the epidural was botched (they don't work properly on me).

I also had zero gap fees as the hospital absorbed them - they had a campaign at the time to attract private patients to get $$ from health funds and were waiving all gap fees.

I'm not too sure how many obs at public hospitals take on private patients, and if they all have zero out of pocket expenses, but it may be another option worth exploring. FWIW I was in Canberra at the The Canberra Hospital.

Admittedly this was ten years ago, so things may have changed since then.
    Same here but I was at Westmead Hospital last year. Zero out of pocket expenses and I was having 2 scans per week and ctg because his growth was behind.

I also had a prem but we advised he would be a private patient. Still no out of pocket expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Z

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, the public system doesn't leave me with confident. The maternity ward of my local one (zoned) might be gone by the time baby is due. News was out in feb about the cut and tentative plan to move the entire department to a nearby hospital. Cut means less service. I am trying to get into two nearby, good maternity hospitals. Unfortunately, I am not in the zone despite similar distance to my local one. My friend was a low risk case and did get in to one of them last year so am thinking to try my luck. I am ivf with mild immune issue so would think higher risk but not high risk. That's the whole reason I have been with an OB.

When I called the first hospital, no one can answer my question about the gap. My phone call was passed to N number of ppl. One lady was not willing to pass my phone call once she found out that I am outside the zone. Then, I tried another hospital. Only be told that the department was closed on fri and call back on Monday. I bet they were just busy. This doesn't leave me much confident.

So now, I am tempting to just stay with my OB. I got a fee sheet from my OB. Other than the appt fees and management fee, he is a no gap dr if I have priv health. While the fee seems ok, I am aware that they have no control of the charges from on call anaesthetist etc. Including paediatrician if needed. I think that's why my friend birth expenses blow out. It would be at a small priv hospital, 45 mins from home. Quite far away.

Now I am not sure......if only the management fee and appt (not sure how many more I need...), we might be able to squeeze another $2k to get the service we want.

Do u get free courses with priv hospital? I know public hospital offers a range of courses for preparing the birth of the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The private hospital I was booked with initially charged for all the birth preparation/breastfeeding etc courses. I also had one CTG there which was charged, no rebate. Then once high risk I transferred public (as private pt) and didn't pay for anything else, except to see my private OB at the rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, the apps get closer together as you get further on. My OBs standard was two weekly from 28 weeks then weekly from 36 weeks. I didn't make it that far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im private and we had to pay for our classes OP..im in Sydney