+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    Could he be lactose intolerant as well as cmpi? The wind and pain issues were what ds had when he was intolerant.
    He's cows milk protein intolerant so I'm completely off dairy myself. We try twice a day but he still won't take a bottle to get him off breastmilk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What kind of bottles are you using?
    Also. .. If there's been a while where feeds caused pain and discomfort ... It's not just the physiological symptoms that need time to settle. .. It's also the psychological side of things.
    It might sound crazy but I firmly believe that if feeds caused pain and discomfort for a while. . Then bub associates that with feeds. And it takes a while to get over that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We have tried a number but have settled on tommee tippee closer to nature as the long narrow teats like pigeon and Medela he is even worse with

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    He's cows milk protein intolerant so I'm completely off dairy myself. We try twice a day but he still won't take a bottle to get him off breastmilk
    The highest levels of lactose are in the initial letdown of your milk so I know some people have seen improvement by hand expressing a little before bub feeds. I ended up having to express a little then add drops of lacteeze to the expressed milk, feed that in a bottle (or spoon or syringe when he wouldn't take the bottle) then breastfeed. Lactose intolerance is apparently really common in bubs after any stomach upsets that cause damage to the lining.
    Feel free to tell me to quit giving advice too though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    The highest levels of lactose are in the initial letdown of your milk so I know some people have seen improvement by hand expressing a little before bub feeds. I ended up having to express a little then add drops of lacteeze to the expressed milk, feed that in a bottle (or spoon or syringe when he wouldn't take the bottle) then breastfeed. Lactose intolerance is apparently really common in bubs after any stomach upsets that cause damage to the lining.
    Feel free to tell me to quit giving advice too though!
    That's ok, I appreciate your concern. I'll ask our paed about it next time. When he started having green frothy poo it coincided with me going on a healthy eating plan which included a lot of dairy. So I put 2 and 2 together and cut out dairy from my diet and a few days later he was much better in himself and poos were back to normal. At that point the GP sent a stool sample away to test for blood cells in his stool as that can indicate an intolerance, but that came back negative.

But your comment has me thinking, he had a bad reaction to the rotavirus vaccine which again upset his stomach and he really hasn't been the same since, so perhaps that reaction caused a lactose issue?? So I'll bring it up with the paed when we go back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    What have her doctors said to do about her taking a little amount?

I'm thinking I might take DS back to the paed earlier than our appointment. I just know there's something else other than his reflux going on. It's not right he should find it this hard to poo. He's definitely not constipated as his poos are always on the thinner and pasty side, never formed or pebble like
    They have decided that she's just supposed to be a skinny Bub. She slowly puts on weight and still has enough wet nappies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's ok, I appreciate your concern. I'll ask our paed about it next time. When he started having green frothy poo it coincided with me going on a healthy eating plan which included a lot of dairy. So I put 2 and 2 together and cut out dairy from my diet and a few days later he was much better in himself and poos were back to normal. At that point the GP sent a stool sample away to test for blood cells in his stool as that can indicate an intolerance, but that came back negative.

But your comment has me thinking, he had a bad reaction to the rotavirus vaccine which again upset his stomach and he really hasn't been the same since, so perhaps that reaction caused a lactose issue?? So I'll bring it up with the paed when we go back.
    @A-Squared Evie had a really bad upset stomach too after that vaccine and we were told to switch her to a soy based formula for a couple of weeks.....the lactase enzyme that breaks down the lactose can be stripped from the intestine lining after a bout of gastro. It can take a couple of weeks to return to normal. She was actually okay from the next day but I was going to give it a go...she was sick for a couple of weeks all up and nothing showed up in her stool samples.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi All,

So my DS is 6 months old and we are having some feeding, weaning, weight gain and intolerance issues which are really starting to wear me down.

He is CMPI, has silent reflux, has only just in the last couple of days taken to solids (purée) and is still refusing to drink from a bottle.

It's great that he's now eating solids but of course it's making his poor belly very uncomfortable.

These issues all impact on his/my sleep and are so all consuming I feel like my 3yo DD is being 'neglected'

So that's my story and where we are at.

If anyone else wants to vent or share their journey (current or past) please do! 😀
    I don't need to tell my story you just did it for me!!

Mine started the day DS was born. He was biggish at 4.2kg so they wanted sugar testing done every 3 hours on his 3rd feed they decided it would be best to do a top up feed. DS started screaming from second he finished his first bottle. By 3 weeks old and several visits to the emergency centre I put my foot down and said he had silent reflux they agreed but when I asked about cmpa they said no because it's not common we where sent home with losec meds. By the time he was 10 weeks old he had spent a total of 4 weeks in hospital he was being nasogastric tube fed because he was on total bottle refusal. By the time he was 12 weeks old I'd had enough and told them i was putting him on soy just to see. Within 48 hours the tube was out he was back on the bottle and we where going home all excited by the fact that the soy was working little did we know that was just the start of our feeding problems. He refused solids until 10 months old and bottles where up and down until 11 months old. He at 14 months eats well and won't be with out his 3 bottles a day but he still has non anaphylactic cmpa and silent reflux and he still wakes several times a night though that's less than the every 15 to 20 minutes he was waking through the night from 4-8 months old. Baby wearing save me from insanity. And we have a very very close bond now.
    Last edited by LiterallyNoOne; 03-04-2015 at 15:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Big hugs @LiterallyNoOne. It's tough isn't it?

I'm still struggling big time to get DS to take a bottle. I'm persisting every day but nope - he just does not get it / want it. I'm soooo desperate to stop bf - I think I've accidentally eaten dairy again.

He's literally just not ever happy - always squirming around, trying to fart or poo or burp.

I just need him to like the bottle. I feel so upset every time I try the bottle and he seems almost scared of it! He has to wean at some point especially as I'm back at work in 2.5 months!