+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Feeding issues - Vent and support thread.

Hi All,

So my DS is 6 months old and we are having some feeding, weaning, weight gain and intolerance issues which are really starting to wear me down.

He is CMPI, has silent reflux, has only just in the last couple of days taken to solids (purée) and is still refusing to drink from a bottle.

It's great that he's now eating solids but of course it's making his poor belly very uncomfortable.

These issues all impact on his/my sleep and are so all consuming I feel like my 3yo DD is being 'neglected'

So that's my story and where we are at.

If anyone else wants to vent or share their journey (current or past) please do! 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can definitely understand feeling worn down. My DS is now 18 months old and although he has come a long way most meals are still a battle. We ended up at a feeding clinic at 9 months because he didn't seem to be able to swallow food. Basically a whole lot of small issues created the problem - undiagnosed upper lip tie, temporary lactose intolerance and a strong forward gag reflex. At least we finally had confirmation something was wrong but it has been a long road. He is still fussy on textures and barely eats any veges or fruit. We have just night weaned in the last month after 2-3 hourly wakings since five months. He still won't eat breakfast though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Right here will you hun! Dd is still a nightmare to feed and solids are a hit/miss still. My DP is putting his foot down on regular weigh ins now. He thinks they make my anxiety worse but I'm having anxiety about not knowing her weight..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ahhh. Feeding issues are the bane of my life.
    We've been through ng tubes. ..cmpi. .reflux.... And in feeding therapy since DD was 4 weeks old. (After her first heart surgery and we got rid of the ng tube). We've done mylanta. ..losec. ..gaviscon and zoton.
    DD is now nearly 2 and half and the feeding battles continue. She's drinks high calorie formula because getting her to eat solids is exhausting. We spent months going back and forth about getting a button done (gastrostomy where a tube is inserted through the abdomen wall for feeds)....
    Well. ..I guess some of that isn't the normal stuff. .. But it's all exhausting when it comes to feeding issues.
    I was only sitting with her at the table the other night saying to my DH that I can't believe we are still battling these issues. Making it more apparent that it will always be a problem I guess.
    Sigh.
    We've done SOS (sequential oral sensory) therapy and even the therapists said there is nothing left to try but just to be consistent with what we currently do.
    I throw out so much food. ... And nearly every day 'wear' the food I offer her. And we've yet to really sit and eat dinners as a family. .. It's takes at least one of us to get her to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    I can definitely understand feeling worn down. My DS is now 18 months old and although he has come a long way most meals are still a battle. We ended up at a feeding clinic at 9 months because he didn't seem to be able to swallow food. Basically a whole lot of small issues created the problem - undiagnosed upper lip tie, temporary lactose intolerance and a strong forward gag reflex. At least we finally had confirmation something was wrong but it has been a long road. He is still fussy on textures and barely eats any veges or fruit. We have just night weaned in the last month after 2-3 hourly wakings since five months. He still won't eat breakfast though!
    It really can be all about getting that diagnosis just to confirm there's an actual problem, so that there are solutions to try and fix them than just not knowing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

misstrouble  (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tamtam I've read quite a few of your posts over time and I take my hat off to you with how well you seem to keep battling. My ds's issues are pretty minor but I still throw my hands up in frustration every couple of days. He has no interest in sitting down to eat and rarely shows interest in food. We can't go out at meal times because he just won't be part of it. I was so jealous the other day catching up with a friend with a son the same age - at afternoon tea time her son came and sat down and fed himself from a bowl of fruit. Meanwhile DH and I were chasing DS around the park shoving tiny bits of peanut butter sandwich in his mouth because he hadn't eaten since 10am.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Right here will you hun! Dd is still a nightmare to feed and solids are a hit/miss still. My DP is putting his foot down on regular weigh ins now. He thinks they make my anxiety worse but I'm having anxiety about not knowing her weight..
    The anxiety is the worst isn't it? Could you maybe take every 3rd weigh in off? Compromise a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Hugs @Tamtam

That sounds really rough! You're doing such a great job.

My DD who is 3 also has CMPI and is allergic to sesame, peanuts and tree nuts. She has a very limited diet as she has anxiety over eating new things as we are always telling her she can't eat so many foods we eat as 'it will make you sick'. Her vegetable content is rafferty garden sachets even though they're majority fruit, but meat or anything chewy or crunchy she can't handle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @misstrouble that's so frustrating isn't it when you see other kids the same age devouring all of this healthy food.

I get jealous of everyone who has kids without allergies who can just give their kids anything to eat, order anything at any restaurant and give it to them without even batting an eyelid at the ingredients or worried they might eat something that might kill them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    The anxiety is the worst isn't it? Could you maybe take every 3rd weigh in off? Compromise a bit?
    No compromise unfortunately as he's the one that takes her to get weighed. This is the first week she hasn't been weighed in 4 months!