+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Have you been a surrogate

If yes, please tell me about it. I have been thinking of doing it for a long time and I would like to know the good and the bad.

If you prefer to PM then that's fine too

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are cycling next month for me to be a surrogate for my SIL, so can't say much about actually being a surrogate. Try googling Altruistic Surrogacy. There is a forum that has lots of people who have been surrogates and then looking for surrogates if you decide to do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there.
    I am 8 weeks on Sunday with a surrogate baby. I had been thinking about it for a while, and finally took the plunge and found someone in need of my uterus.
    At the moment, it is not enjoyable, as the nausea & vomiting is debilitating & I still have to look after my 2 children and work night duties on the weekend.
    But apart from that my journey so far is a good one

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smugg mum For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (03-04-2015),Wise Enough  (20-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks, how did you find the mum in need and is your family happy with you decision?

Who's egg is it and what are the legalities involved?

PM of you prefer

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our case, it's SIL's egg, her DH's sperm. Most of my family are supportive, though there have been a few negative remarks that have shocked me.
    Legally, it depends on the state the IPs live in and the state you give birth in and what rules the clinic you go through have too. In our case, IPs are in NSW and we are in VIC. Our Clinic requires counselling (individual for IPs, DH and I; couples and group) and that we received independent legal advice (2 separate lawyers, one for each couple). Our case was then presented to the clinic's ethics board and we were approved. Our clinic requires embryos to be quarantined for 3 months before transfer.
    After baby is born, DH and I have to register the birth and are considered birth parents. After 30 days, we can apply for a parenting order for my SIL and her DH. If I give birth in VIC, we have to go to court in VIC and NSW to obtain parenting order.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm new to all this. Can someone tell me why they need to quarantine the embryos for 3 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our clinic quarantines the embryos to ensure that they are free of HIV and Hepatitis. My IPs were tested when the embryos were created and then were tested again at the end of the 3 months.