+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Tips needed - growing herbs in pots

Anyone have potted herbs that are thriving?

What is your secret?! What are your best tips?

The only herbs that seem to be growing well are our basil and chillies.

My mint, coriander and flat leaf parsley are failing big time, especially the mint. Do these herbs need large pots to thrive?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips needed - growing herbs in pots

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1427927977.313556.jpg

I have a herb wall with chilli, Rosemary and basil and i also have mint in a pot. I did have sage but this location was too warm and it died off. I do need to water every day otherwise they look a bit wilted.

I don't think they need big pots to thrive. One seedling per pot should go alright

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We ended up putting our mint in the garden as it just wasn't growing in a pot, but the oregano, thyme and curly parsley are doing well in pots. Do you fertilise them?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Molros View Post
    We ended up putting our mint in the garden as it just wasn't growing in a pot, but the oregano, thyme and curly parsley are doing well in pots. Do you fertilise them?
    No, haven't tried fertiliser yet. What do you recommend? I'm such a plant novice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never put mint in the ground...it will take over your garden.
    Seasol or some form of seaweed fertilizer is your best friend for herbs.

Experiment with locations. If a herb isnt doing well, move it around to a different spot. The secret is to get the right mix of sunlight, shade, water.

Heres some tips for specific herbs that i grow
    Mint-half sunlight, half shade and dont over water. It can handle a bit of dry.
    Orgegano- keep it moist all the time, more shade than sun. It will die off in the summer but should come back over the cooler months.
    Basil- More sun than shade and dont over water, it also can handle a bit of dry. It will die off in the winter but should come back in full in the warm months.
    Parsley-Keep it warm but not too much direct sun and keep the soil moist but not too wet.
    Corriander-It needs to be kept cool but needs some direct sun. Dont let it get too hot. And keep it moist. If it gets too dry it will go to seed. Pick any seed buds off as soon as they appear.
    Thyme- Full sun and dont over water. It prefers dry.

The golden rule for herb growing is to USE them. The more you pick the more they grow. In the summer when basil is going crazy, pick it and dry it. In the winter do the same to oregano. If you dont pick it they will just die.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-04-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Mint should be fine in a small pot. I've only ever grown it in pots rather than a garden bed because it's so invasive.
    Is it too wet? Getting enough sun?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use seasol. I'm actually fine with my mint being in the garden. If it grows like wildfire it'll get cut back. I was only saying ours didn't do well in a pot, thats all.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    IMG_1580.jpg

I have 2 types of rosemary, basil, sage, oregano, thyme, tarragon, mint, 2 types of chillies, nasturtiums, alyssum, garlic chives and flat-leaf parsley. The pots are not large for these and they seem to do OK. Oh, and a bay tree in a 40cm diameter pot. I've got a little bit of coloured chard at the moment too...well, until the aphids discover those delightfully tender leaves. That's why the flowers - to bring in hover flies and lady beetles to eat those b@5tard aphids.

The garlic chives, sage and rosemary just keep going and going because they are constantly trimmed for cooking. The chillies do start to die off each year so I trim them back and usually let some chillies dry out and put the seeds in the same pot so I end up with lots of new plants. The others I will get as long as I can out of them, sometimes months, sometimes longer and then just replace them with a new plant. I figure that's still better than paying $2-3 for a bunch of herbs, a lot of which ends up being thrown out because it's gone off in the fridge.

Chillies freeze really well so when they're in full fruit make sure chop them off when they're ripe, rinse and dry thoroughly, then put in a zip-lock bag or tupperware container and they'll last for ages. I haven't bought chillies from the green grocer for the last couple of years.

All of these pots have water wells at the bottom. I never let the soil completely dry out and fertilise with Sesol every 2-4 weeks. Growing in pots I find the soil does tend to shrink down over time so a top-up every few months also helps keep things healthy. My pots only get morning sun, with the exception of the bay tree as that's on the other balcony and only gets afternoon sun.

If it's any consolation, despite many attempts, I have never managed to successfully grow coriander. It's meant to be pest resistant, and I have companion planted it with things like chard and lettuce for that reason, but it always ended up with aphids or just dying off a couple of weeks after planting. One day I'll figure it out...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-04-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Mint should be fine in a small pot. I've only ever grown it in pots rather than a garden bed because it's so invasive.
    Is it too wet? Getting enough sun?
    It probably needs more sun! It's almost dead now.