+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Wwyd? Warranty, repairs and the timeframes

OK so many of you may already have been bored by my incessant complaining about our fridge and the problems we have had with it. Looking back now at reviews it is full of problems.

The info:

Bought new just over 2 years ago.

Comes with 2 year warranty

12 months after buying it we claimed warranty due to the inside shell cracking

Just over 12 months later the freezer motor starts freezing over causing the freezer to stop cooling and the fridge to go warm also.

Manufacturer says it's covered by warranty because they reapplied the 2 year warranty to the new machine. Awesome for us!

Call the authorized repairer to organise repair and told they only come out our way once a week so we have to wait a week because I rang a day too late but if they get an emergency call out from a real estate etc they will come see us. Okay.. Fine..

A week later the guy comes out takes a look and says he needs to order parts and should take a week. Okay..

A week later I ring to find out what's going on because I have heard nothing. I get a vague "oh! Oh yeah... Um.. Oh.. Umm.. I'll call the suppliers and find out what the hold up is and call you back". They never did. I had to call back the next day to which she said about another week. I think they forgot to order.

A little over a week later they call me up to say they have the part and will be around the next week as it's a Friday.

So the fridge got repaired and not more than 6 days later the same problem is back. Our freezer and fridge are no longer working again. It's iced up the motor and making everything warm.

I ring the repairer back yesterday and they say they will get our noted out and call me back later. I heard nothing so I rang back today and left a voicemail message. Insteaf of calling me back I get a text message saying she only spoke to the guy late yesterday and won't see him into this afternoon. Well I'm assuming it's from them because they never said they were from so and so business just left their names.

Well it's this afternoon and still nothing! I have rung the manufacturer who said I'd I'm not happy then they can escalate it but that may mean we have to pay about $200 for travel fees for another repairer to look at it plus whatever other fees may be involved because we are out of the region. I refuse to pay that!

Consumer protection have said I can ask for a refund or replacement but manufacturer have already said they need a repairer to look at it first.

What would you do from here?
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 31-03-2015 at 18:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Sorry it's such an essay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is called accc again and see if you can demand a replacement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Call the place you bought the fridge from. I had fridge trouble (brand new, unused). The manufacturer was being annoying about it, so I rang the place we bought it from. They told me they wouldn't deal with it and it was a manufacturers issue now, but I told them they would deal with it and promptly haha. They got a guy to come out and look at it and I told him it was brand new and I was not going to accept it being fixed, I wanted a new fridge replacement. He ummed and ahhed and about a week later I still hadn't heard anything so I called the retailer and they sorted out a new fridge for us. They also gave us a refund on the food we had lost, and some towels and detergents as an apology.

Be forceful with these people otherwise nothing happens. You are entitled to it being repaired at the least, but I would be pushing for a replacement tbh. If you aren't getting anywhere ring consumer affairs for advice.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (31-03-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Is called accc again and see if you can demand a replacement.
    I can but the manufacturer is the one to decide. According to the warranty terms I can request one or a refund if it is uneconomical, major failure or not in a timely manor. The ACCC said ultimately it's a magistrate that decides if it's classed as a major failure or not in a timely manor unless the manufacturer decides that before hand. But they have said either way a repairer still needs to look at it which is also part of the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It's been a day and a half since I rang the repairer. They only come or on Wednesdays and tomorrow is.. You guessed it.. Wednesday. Last time I rang on a Wednesday they said I had to wait until the following week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    This is what I would be doing.

I'm curious, what brand is your fridge?
    It's an Australian made fridge..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Should I bother waiting for the repairer to call back tomorrow or complain to the manufacturer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I just feel like I shouldn't have to be the one to keep calling. It also shouldn't take 2 days for then to let me know when they can look at it.

Also to pp. I did speak to the original store that we bought it from. They offered to help but said I have done everything they would do anyway so there wasn't really anything more they could do except add their name to the mix which they said they would do if I wanted them to (because they are bound by law to but they never said that). But I think that would just add more confusion to the process. But she did give me good advice to keep records and detailed information just in case.

So... What would everyone consider a reasonable time frame to get a fridge repaired?

It's just not fair *stomps foot*

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    This is so sucky.

I'd go on their Facebook page if they have one and outline the issue. I find some companies will contact you pretty quickly when that happens.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (31-03-2015)