+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ISOFIX Car Seats

Has anyone purchased/use the new ISOFIX car seats? I was reading an article today that they have been finally approved for use in Australia but not many brands seem to sell them yet. They seem alot more expensive but I guess when it comes to safety I don't want to cut corners.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1227068257280

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's an Infasecure isofix seat at bigw that's not very expensive and will be on sale Thurs-Mon

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

GStar85  (31-03-2015),KitiK  (31-03-2015),Wise Enough  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Isofix car seats are no safer than seatbelt installed seats when both are installed correctly. If you are confident with installing seats or know someone who is then personally I don't think it is worth the extra money.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-03-2015),BigRedV  (30-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (30-03-2015),Wise Enough  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Isofix car seats are no safer than seatbelt installed seats when both are installed correctly. If you are confident with installing seats or know someone who is then personally I don't think it is worth the extra money.
    Yep! I always pay to have my restraints installed by a certified agent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^^^^this

Them being safer is a misconception. Isofix was high on my list of requirements when new car shopping. I actually spoke to Britax / Safe n Sound On the phone and they told me they weren't any safer, just easier to install on your own. We have ours professionally fitted so werent worries about ease of use. I adore our Maxi Guards and Maxi Guard SICTS and they dont come in isofix so I wont be changing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I currently have a S&S Platinum SICT but I want to get the Isofix version. Not for the actual isofix but they have an extra 2-4cm of rearward facing height marker. Obviously I can't afford to just go buy another $600 car seat so the only way I could justify it is if I end up pregnant before DD grows out of RF in her platinum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default ISOFIX Car Seats

I love my ISofix car seat. Such a piece of mind to know that it is correctly fitted. 😊

Also perfect if you will move the car seat from one car to another. Takes 1min and again you know that they are fitted properly.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (01-04-2015),KitiK  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are from UK and isofix have been used there for a long time. While I agree that the studies show no difference in safety they are often so much easier to use. The stage one maxicosi seat we have clips into the isofix base so it can be moved in and out easily without leaning over to fasten seatbelt. Also putting baby in is much easier as you don't have belt over the top to navigate around.

We have a britax that can be faced forward or backwards for the next stage and it's great as it swivels to side position for easy positioning of baby. I also find that while it might not make much difference in safety the seats don't move as much when secured with isofix rather than seat belts.

Just personal opinion but I prefer using isofix and feel that seat is more secure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

GStar85  (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    We are from UK and isofix have been used there for a long time. While I agree that the studies show no difference in safety they are often so much easier to use. The stage one maxicosi seat we have clips into the isofix base so it can be moved in and out easily without leaning over to fasten seatbelt. Also putting baby in is much easier as you don't have belt over the top to navigate around.

We have a britax that can be faced forward or backwards for the next stage and it's great as it swivels to side position for easy positioning of baby. I also find that while it might not make much difference in safety the seats don't move as much when secured with isofix rather than seat belts.

Just personal opinion but I prefer using isofix and feel that seat is more secure.

Just a point to note, in Australia ISOFIX seats still have a top tether that must be used. It is not optional as in other countries.

To prevent having to lift kids over it you can loosen the tether before lifting them out and tighten it after putting them in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just a point to note, in Australia ISOFIX seats still have a top tether that must be used. It is not optional as in other countries.

To prevent having to lift kids over it you can loosen the tether before lifting them out and tighten it after putting them in.
    That's right. My european ISOFIX base has a support leg at the front which is supposed to do the same than top tether. So easy to clip capsule in and out, love it.

I just read that over 90% of child restraints were not properly fitted prior to Isofix becoming legal here. Scary.