+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0

    Default ISOFIX Car Seats

    Has anyone purchased/use the new ISOFIX car seats? I was reading an article today that they have been finally approved for use in Australia but not many brands seem to sell them yet. They seem alot more expensive but I guess when it comes to safety I don't want to cut corners.

    http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1227068257280

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,032
    Thanks
    5,468
    Thanked
    4,405
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's an Infasecure isofix seat at bigw that's not very expensive and will be on sale Thurs-Mon

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    GStar85  (31-03-2015),KitiK  (31-03-2015),Wise Enough  (30-03-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,573
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Isofix car seats are no safer than seatbelt installed seats when both are installed correctly. If you are confident with installing seats or know someone who is then personally I don't think it is worth the extra money.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (30-03-2015),BigRedV  (30-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (30-03-2015),Wise Enough  (30-03-2015)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Isofix car seats are no safer than seatbelt installed seats when both are installed correctly. If you are confident with installing seats or know someone who is then personally I don't think it is worth the extra money.
    Yep! I always pay to have my restraints installed by a certified agent.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North West Sydney
    Posts
    4,087
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked
    625
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Isofix car seats are no safer than seatbelt installed seats when both are installed correctly. If you are confident with installing seats or know someone who is then personally I don't think it is worth the extra money.
    ^^^^^this

    Them being safer is a misconception. Isofix was high on my list of requirements when new car shopping. I actually spoke to Britax / Safe n Sound On the phone and they told me they weren't any safer, just easier to install on your own. We have ours professionally fitted so werent worries about ease of use. I adore our Maxi Guards and Maxi Guard SICTS and they dont come in isofix so I wont be changing.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    658
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked
    182
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I currently have a S&S Platinum SICT but I want to get the Isofix version. Not for the actual isofix but they have an extra 2-4cm of rearward facing height marker. Obviously I can't afford to just go buy another $600 car seat so the only way I could justify it is if I end up pregnant before DD grows out of RF in her platinum.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,322
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default ISOFIX Car Seats

    I love my ISofix car seat. Such a piece of mind to know that it is correctly fitted. 😊

    Also perfect if you will move the car seat from one car to another. Takes 1min and again you know that they are fitted properly.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    BabyG4  (01-04-2015),KitiK  (31-03-2015)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are from UK and isofix have been used there for a long time. While I agree that the studies show no difference in safety they are often so much easier to use. The stage one maxicosi seat we have clips into the isofix base so it can be moved in and out easily without leaning over to fasten seatbelt. Also putting baby in is much easier as you don't have belt over the top to navigate around.

    We have a britax that can be faced forward or backwards for the next stage and it's great as it swivels to side position for easy positioning of baby. I also find that while it might not make much difference in safety the seats don't move as much when secured with isofix rather than seat belts.

    Just personal opinion but I prefer using isofix and feel that seat is more secure.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

    GStar85  (31-03-2015)

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,573
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    We are from UK and isofix have been used there for a long time. While I agree that the studies show no difference in safety they are often so much easier to use. The stage one maxicosi seat we have clips into the isofix base so it can be moved in and out easily without leaning over to fasten seatbelt. Also putting baby in is much easier as you don't have belt over the top to navigate around.

    We have a britax that can be faced forward or backwards for the next stage and it's great as it swivels to side position for easy positioning of baby. I also find that while it might not make much difference in safety the seats don't move as much when secured with isofix rather than seat belts.

    Just personal opinion but I prefer using isofix and feel that seat is more secure.

    Just a point to note, in Australia ISOFIX seats still have a top tether that must be used. It is not optional as in other countries.

    To prevent having to lift kids over it you can loosen the tether before lifting them out and tighten it after putting them in.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,322
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Just a point to note, in Australia ISOFIX seats still have a top tether that must be used. It is not optional as in other countries.

    To prevent having to lift kids over it you can loosen the tether before lifting them out and tighten it after putting them in.
    That's right. My european ISOFIX base has a support leg at the front which is supposed to do the same than top tether. So easy to clip capsule in and out, love it.

    I just read that over 90% of child restraints were not properly fitted prior to Isofix becoming legal here. Scary.


 

Similar Threads

  1. 3 seats across
    By LouLaa in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-10-2014, 06:50
  2. ISOFIX in Australia... possible yet?
    By ottofelix in forum What to take or hire?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-09-2014, 10:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months (Oct-Mar). Our indoor centre at Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!