+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I'm having trouble with this... getting 4.5 year old to write name.

Dunno if I'm going the right way about it with ds1.. he just can't seem to grasp it. it ends up being jibberish and looks nothing like his name. firstly I can't get him to hold pencil properly - he holds it awkwardly... I try to reposition his fingers but can't get it.. then just can't write properly. is there a secret to this?! I'm getting frustrated (I know I shouldn't) but got him to trace letters then do It himself. zero luck. any strategies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    When I was prac a lot of the morning activities revolved around tracing lines. This apparently helps with the fine motor skills required to write. What size pencil are you using, one of the thicker ones or a standard pencil? Is he able to apply enough pressure. One of the little boys in the class needed the marker weighted for him to be able to write a bit better and this was achieved by just holding the top of the marker. He did all the guiding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just using a regular size hb pencil.. he can't press down enough either.. actually he can't even grasp writing a ''b''. I have started with the ''l part of the b''( just the simple line) but he just squiggles. ive got a headache already.where do you get the weighed down markers from? he has trouble with his fine motor skills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Maybe you could start him off practising on a larger scale? That's what my DS's OT recommends for the letter formations he has difficulty with. So chalk on a board, concrete, butchers paper and you could use crayon or felt pens/textas. Also if using chalk you can go over the letter with a paint brush and water.
    If you want to work specifically on fine motor skills there are activities you can do in that regard.
    Have you seen an OT at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At kindy DS has been given a white board marker and a wipeable outline of his name. I had no success in getting him to hold his pencil correctly prior to kindy. You can get little triangles to put on his pencil.
    I just let him do what he wanted to do. There's no point causing them any stress.
    Last edited by ManchesterLass; 30-03-2015 at 15:15.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't bother. My son is nearly 5, starting school next year and can't write his name, only the first letter. I haven't tried helping him at home ever. I don't think it's that important at this stage.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-03-2015),Gracie's Mum  (30-03-2015),Mamasupial  (30-03-2015),Wise Enough  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    I'm just using a regular size hb pencil.. he can't press down enough either.. actually he can't even grasp writing a ''b''. I have started with the ''l part of the b''( just the simple line) but he just squiggles. ive got a headache already.where do you get the weighed down markers from? he has trouble with his fine motor skills.
    We were just holding the marker with the boy so it was putting that bit more weight on it. It wasn't a special sort. Could you see if he can grip a thicker pencil or whatever else any easier? Even just colouring in and drawing will help him. He will eventually get it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd stop if you're getting frustrated and he isn't showing readiness.
    Just put out paper and pencils (thick are better) every day and let him scribble.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (30-03-2015),Wise Enough  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with not stressing over it at that age. I would just give lots of opportunities to foster enjoyment in drawing/writing/scribbling as this will help hand-eye and fine motor. If you push and push before he is ready he will have very negative associations with writing, which could stand in his way when he starts school.

A mini whiteboard and markers are great at that age. Definitely don't use a normal size HB pencil. There are triangle shaped colour pencils that are fatter and great for young kids, but just let him explore with them on lots of paper, don't worry about letters yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I wouldn't bother. My son is nearly 5, starting school next year and can't write his name, only the first letter. I haven't tried helping him at home ever. I don't think it's that important at this stage.
    This. Don't put pressure on him or yourself. They do things in their own time. It's not important at this stage

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (30-03-2015)