+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Recommendations for CD stories - audio, other quiet time ideas

Hi - would really recommend any CDs you have come across that are suitable for a 4yo boy to listen to. Preferably running 45min or so so I can get some study done during his quiet time. At the moment I have a huge collection of fairy tales on CD (I have about ten CDs), which I put on, but they are very hit and miss. Some are quite dark (birds pecking out eyes or witches threatening to kill ppl - would rather not expose him to that as he is sensitive) and some don't hold his interest. I would rather not sign up to Audible or similar as I would rather not have my credit card debitted every month. Would rather buy outright. I guess I could go through the entire collection and pick and choose and compile a playlist on my tablet or do something like that - that's just occurred to me, but it would take a while.

Any other suggestions for quiet time - he already has about 2 hours TV a day so not keen to do that. He doesnt have much tolerance for drawing (and needs a lot of supervision when he does - which is fine, but I just need a bit of time to study). Stickers are the same - needs help.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Not sure on running time but we have a few Disney audio books on cd. They came with the book and the cd. We have toy story and monsters inc.

What about games on your tablet for quiet time? My 3 yo will play quietly with a few apps for quite awhile.
    Puzzles might be good? As long as they aren't too difficult that he has to keep asking you for help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

anemone  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Summastarlet. The Disney CDs could be good - I think they came free with the paper here a little while ago but I forgot to get one. Will check them out. I actually think I will sit down and compile a non-scary playlist or two as well from the CDs he already has as it seems like a waste to not use them but I cant be going in and out and remembering which track is scary/inappropriate. Also, we should go to the library as I've heard they have audiobooks.

I havent really done apps with him except when he is in the shopping mall where they are set up. I think I will leave that a while as to me, 2 hours screen time is enough for him, and I dont want to take away any TV (substitute apps for it) as that is his favourite shows and my time for making dinner or getting ready for the day, and a bit of study too if Im lucky! But it's a good idea for the future.

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lots of libraries have e-audiobooks to borrow, too. Most public libraries will let you become a member as long as you live in the same state, and many offer just e-memberships, so you don't even have to live anywhere near them or go in to pick up a library card. Or you could go into your local library and grab a huge bunch off the shelf
    You can also listen to kids audiobooks through YouTube- I put them on my phone and lay my phone flat so the kids can't see the screen
    there's also storyline online, which is a free US resource with famous actors reading kids books. Kind of like bookaboo without the surrounding 'show'. There's also the Aussie story box library which is similar, but with Aussie actors and you do have to pay a subscription, but again lots of libraries subscribe to it so you can log in with your library card if your library subscribes to it.

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also- not really a 'quiet time' idea but rather a noisy time one! Have you thought about taking him to a play centre and studying there? I have a great one near me that is fairly quiet throughout the week, especially in the afternoons. There are often only a couple of other kids there so I can hear straight away if there's trouble. I usually don't hear from or see my two the whole time we're there!
    Tbh at 4 I think 2 hours screen time plus another 45 minutes quiet time might prove to be a bit tricky, unless he's only recently stopped having a nap or something and really still needs the rest. I find now my DS is 5 he is much better at sitting still and doing craft or drawing or Lego, but at 4 he had a much shorter attention span and needed to be active all the time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

anemone  (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was really helpful, FearlessLeader, thanks for the great suggestions. I think I will have to check out the library as you say. Good idea.

My son is actually not quite 4, and still sleeps a few days of the week. So he is fine to do quiet time, just needs something to engage his interest while there.

He does love audio stories, and would listen for more than 45 mins, but my challenge has just been to find age-appropriate ones! I would have joined Audible but just cant face a regualr debit form my credit card - would much rather pay per view/download, but Audible doesnt allow this. Sadly I have reached a technical impasse with recoding playlists from the CDs I do have - I can get a playlist recoded onto a USB but then cant play it through the tablet as different audio software. It would play through my comp but I need that for study (online course).

Good idea about Youtube with phone face down too. That would also work on my tablet. I will check out the other sites you mention, as they sound fab as well.

I will also bear in mind the playcentre option - but at this stage he wants me to participate a lot whenever we go somewhere like that, so not much study would get done. Maybe later down the track....

Thanks again!