+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Getting a second opinion - What should I get checked out? (post-natal)

Okay. My doctor believes in low-intervention.

I have a history of PCOS, insulin resistance, high cortisol at times.

I've lost almost 30kg since my last pregnancy, but I still have about 10kg to lose that is not coming off even though I'm doing everything right. I'm exhausted.

In the past I've worked hard and it's come off a lot quicker. I really feel like I'm fighting a lot but not getting anywhere. Yes, eating low-carb, no sugar, exercising - mixture of weights and cardio. And no, I'm not just building more muscle.

Last time I went to the doctor she ran some tests but I can't remember which ones. She told me they came back fine and gave me a referral to a doctor who does Hcg treatment - of which it is difficult to get a clear idea of what is involved and it appeared to be mainly an appetite suppressant - which I don't have a problem with.

I've literally just booked in to see another doctor which is going to cost me about $120 for the consultation alone which pains me as I'd rather spend the money elsewhere of course - particularly as I need new everything after spending the last 10 years having children or trying to have children.

What tests should I get done? Even DH sees what I do and what I eat and he is baffled.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

its hard

I do believe that it shouldnt be exhausting. The right excercise regime and healthy eating should leave you feeling great.

I would go to the Dr ... if only for the fact that you are doing all this and still feeling run down

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post

its hard

I do believe that it shouldnt be exhausting. The right excercise regime and healthy eating should leave you feeling great.

I would go to the Dr ... if only for the fact that you are doing all this and still feeling run down

Thank you. I've been studying for a few years now and have been fine in the past, but even struggling with staying awake/alert for that now. I'm eating enough so as to not be in famine mode, but shouldn't be at the maintaining stage - and if this is the maintaining diet for the rest of my life then it is going to be hell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    bumping for night time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thyroid?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (30-03-2015),Little Ted  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thyroid, coeliac disease, iron, magnesium? I'd get a thorough blood panel done including all vitamins as even a simple low magnesium or calcium level can cause tiredness and other problems. That's what the tests are for so take advantage, but you have to be specific with most doctors so do some research and take a list to your doc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Thyroid?
    I know my doctor has popped it on a form before, but I've heard that there are a few tests that doctor's sometimes miss when checking the thyroid.

I would also like access to my results. I've had a few nurses tell me in the past that my results were clear when they've actually been the opposite and they just haven't read it properly - it was in relation to my immune problems. I should have had the 2 hour GD test when pregnant last, but that was skipped over too, I ended up putting on over 40kg after being in such great shape before (and working freaking hard for it!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    B12

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    Thyroid, coeliac disease, iron, magnesium? I'd get a thorough blood panel done including all vitamins as even a simple low magnesium or calcium level can cause tiredness and other problems. That's what the tests are for so take advantage, but you have to be specific with most doctors so do some research and take a list to your doc.
    Yes - I need a good servicing and to move on from this frustrated state!

Thank you for those ideas, I'll add them to the list. I'm trying not to google. I do feel very, very stressed as I have a lot on my plate between family, work, trying to buy a home and study. DH doesn't do any organising, housework, finances or anything so it's all left to me. Last time my cortisol was up I didn't even feel stressed, I just noticed that my pants were getting tight!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (01-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe see a nutritionist rather than a doc. Have a look at Kimberly deme to see what I mean. They look at your blood and can advise what your deficient in and help.
    She's in syd, not sure where your at

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nala9000 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (30-03-2015)