+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Speech delays? @ 19 Months

Hi mums
    Just wondering if anyone can give any experiences or insight with regard to my little boy who is 19 months and still not really saying any words. We saw a ped at 13 months who wants to see him again when he is 2 and didn't seem to concerned. I am worried as he just doesn't seem to have made any progress with his speech in the past few months as I had hoped he would.
    He chats a lot to himself and burbles while he plays - but doesnt really say any words apart from what I think is 'yes' when he wants something - but he doesnt say this consistently. Developmentally he is pretty similar to the rest of his age group and is very friendly and social smiley happy child - but he just wont or cant speak any actual words. We read and speak to him lots (no baby talk) - he dad works shift work so he often has both of us home with him during the day. He understands instructions that we give him but makes no effort to respond verbally.
    Some people tell me I'm stressing far too early. He's my first so i have nothing to compare him to.
    Thanks in advance xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Has he had a hearing test? If not, I would definitely go ahead and organise one.Even if there are no outward signs of hearing issues, it’s the first thing that will need to be done.Assuming his hearing is okay, you have two options – wait and see, or organise an assessment with a speech pathologist.Personally, I would start ringing around for appointments with a speech pathologist – they can give good tips on how to encourage speech.If you are planning on using the public system there can be a long wait, so it’s worth lining up an appointment now (you can always cancel if needed).If you are going private then you shouldn’t have to wait so long.I know a lot of people who would say wait and see though.

ETA: there are actually other options from the two I listed – e.g. go via your GP or back to the paed.In my experience they will likely say ‘wait and see’ though.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (30-03-2015),bobanna  (30-03-2015),Busy-Bee  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke to the GP a couple of weeks ago about a hearing test but was told to wait till he was 2 as there aren't any very accurate ways of measuring their hearing at this age.... perhaps Ill get it done anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no real advice but my 20mo DS sounds similar. He babbles away and makes lots of sounds that could be words but only really says dad, sometimes mum and 'nana' for banana.
    He was an early crawler and walker but otherwise his development has been on par with other kids his age and his comprehension is great.
    We saw his GP when he had his 18 month needles but she wasn't really concerned and said his hearing seemed fine. I am starting to worry though, not sure whether to hold out til 2 or start the ball rolling just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That’s a weird thing to say.Maybe do a call around to audiologists to see what they say. My DD certainly had her hearing checked multiple times prior to 2 (she had grommets inserted due to a moderate/severe hearing loss and speech delay).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (30-03-2015),WiseOldOwl  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following.....

My son is nearly, his learning 2 languages. He uses the iPad a lot, not interested in books. His actually starting now to understand things and say more words.

He also babbles a lot.

Do you use an iPad for your child? Much tv time? I know it sounds silly, but I think these 2 things have helped my son. When I say tv I mean channel 22.

Good luck and good thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    That’s a weird thing to say.Maybe do a call around to audiologists to see what they say. My DD certainly had her hearing checked multiple times prior to 2 (she had grommets inserted due to a moderate/severe hearing loss and speech delay).
    My Daughter also had two hearing tests done prior to her grommets at 14 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD has a diagnosed syndrome with speech delays.
    Our paed and even her speech therapist (who we were seeing for feeding therapy) told us that speech development is really variable up until 2 and onwards. Our paed said that we shouldn't worry about speech until she's was 2 as well. And we actually didn't start speech therapy for actual speech until she was 2.
    Eating/chewing etc is a major part of speech development so if that's a concern it may be worthwhile getting a step ahead. Also hearing test is one of the first things to check out.
    Lots of conversation and interpretation of the babble he does is really important. I also teach my daughter sign language which has helped her communication.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (30-03-2015),sajimum  (30-03-2015),zooey  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    My DD has a diagnosed syndrome with speech delays.
    Our paed and even her speech therapist (who we were seeing for feeding therapy) told us that speech development is really variable up until 2 and onwards. Our paed said that we shouldn't worry about speech until she's was 2 as well. And we actually didn't start speech therapy for actual speech until she was 2.
    Eating/chewing etc is a major part of speech development so if that's a concern it may be worthwhile getting a step ahead. Also hearing test is one of the first things to check out.
    Lots of conversation and interpretation of the babble he does is really important. I also teach my daughter sign language which has helped her communication.
    This is a good point – even if you do see a speech pathologist, they won’t do “therapy” with your son while he is this age.However, I did find it useful to see a speech pathologist in order to monitor progress over time and discuss with me strategies to maximise my DD’s speech and language development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like my DD. She's just turned 19 months and has only just started saying words over the last week or so. She has had hearing tests and it all came back clear so I would definitely go and get hearing tests done. Try not to worry too much, like I said my little girl just started all of a sudden starting to try copying what we were saying and she's just getting new things every day now.