+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default AUSLAN and baby sign

Hi I have an 11 month old who isn't deaf. He can say "dad" "ta" "bub" and "mum" though I don't know yet if he understands what he's saying...

Anyway I have been doing an AUSLAN course and I know basic words and sentences which I'm hoping to teach my kids especially my baby. I've been signing basics words like "mum" "dad" "bottle" "more" etc he hasn't signed any yet but I want to know for those that use AUSLAN on hearing/vocal babies how long before they sign back or recognise signs/words? I am hoping to one day become fluent in the language myself and I'm also learning about deaf culture. Only been learning a few months though..

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have my diploma of Auslan interpreting but I got slack in teaching my son. I used to sign lots when he was a baby and he signed milk at about 6/7 months (but not regularly).
    I stopped signing with him (long story why but I lost confidence in my signing so abandoned everything)
    Now he is 20 months and I try to sign more but he won't look at me so I keep giving up! He understands quite a lot of signs but won't sign them back.

My friend is married to a deaf man and their daughter has just signed her 1st sign "mum" at 10.5 months and they use Auslan everyday aswell as lots of spoken English.

Keep signing because 1 day it will click and your little one will start signing back all of a sudden

Good luck with your studies too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I sign with my daughter. It's best to use words to sign that mean something really tangible. Like milk or bottle. ..Finished or more. Food/eat etc.
    My daughter signed finished very quickly. Then more. She uses a few signs now (she's does have developmental delays so it's not the same situation but yeah). We started signing before she was 6 months old.
    You should always vocalise the word and sign and use it consistently.
    She now signs quite a few words. But initially. .. The first sign only took about 4 or 5 weeks which was great for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone so far I'll just continue to keep signing and one day he will sign back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummbearPapabearNCubs For This Useful Post:

almai  (29-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He will! And you'll find one he starts picking up the first few. .. ones he gets instant reward from. ...eg. .bottle or milk. ... And he signs it and gets it. ...
    He'll pick up the other ones rashly quick. I try to teach 2 signs a week. But my little munchkin has a mind of her own lately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm from UK so not sure what auslan is but signing with babies is very popular in UK using basic British sign language or macaton. I used to go to classes from when my son was about 4 months and he didn't really sign anything but at about 12 months he suddenly started picking them up and now he can learn a new sign within a couple of days. I think it just takes some babies a bit longer but once they get it and realise they can communicate they really enjoy it. His favourite sign is more which should be for more food but he generally uses it whenever he wants something so over the last few days we have been trying to teach him the sign for eating so now we can differentiate between him wanting food and just asking for something.

He babbles a lot but other than "more" he doesn't really say anything in context. I'm not worried though and use signing as a adjunct as I can already see how useful it is for him to interact with us without words. Studios show it doesn't delay speech at all it just helps them avoid frustration by communicating in a different way.

Just be consistent and give plenty praise when your bub does a sign. At first it will probably be nothing like the real sign but it will get refined and at least they are associating the sign with the word or object.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Auslan is Australian sign language.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I taught my daughter about 5 signs. I only bothered with things I felt she'd want to communicate (milk, food, more, all finished, nappy). I started at 7 months and she was doing three signs by 9-10 months. She's now nearly two and her language skills are excellent. She still does the nappy sign (but only when I tell her it's nappy time or if she sees another baby getting its nappy changed) and the more sign, but she says the words as she does the sign.