+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If you type in literacy continuum in Google and look at cluster 4, that is what children should be able to do by the END of the first year of school.

it is only expected that children (in nsw anyway) be reading between level 5-8 (reading recovery) by the end of first year of school.

I don't know why people want to teach their kids to read before starting school. I really don't see the benefit.

My son is almost 5. He is starting school next year and can't write his name (only the first letter) and the only reason he can do that is because he's done it at daycare.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is all very reassuring. DD is 4 in August just like yours OP, and she can recite numbers to about 20 but only actually counts objects up to about 5. She is starting to recognise her name and tries to write it (it's a jagged scribble but I can see where she's going with it!). We don't actively focus on these things at home, we work them into daily activities when appropriate though - like asking her how many grapes she wants and then counting them into her bowl.

My main concern is all the self-care and independence stuff. DD was late to start TT and still doesn't poo in the toilet. I have to wipe when she wees or she'll just get off and go. She's definitely behind all the other kids at daycare with toileting but we're trying to be patient and encouraging.

DDs daycare is great, they incorporate lots of learning in their play and activities. The kids love it and they learn so much. The teachers are guided by the kids interests like planets, the body, farm animals etc and create fun learning experiences out of them. The focus is mainly on things like social skills, self-help skills, building self confidence, and learning about their world. Basic maths, literacy and science are a bonus really.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know why people want to teach their kids to read before starting school. I really don't see the benefit.

If kids show an interest then I think it's something to explore but I wouldn't go out of my way. Both my kids have/had started to learn to read before starting school but they showed an interest and picked it up well. (I just subscribed them to Reading Eggs and use everyday activities as learning opportunities.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    If kids show an interest then I think it's something to explore but I wouldn't go out of my way. Both my kids have/had started to learn to read before starting school but they showed an interest and picked it up well. (I just subscribed them to Reading Eggs and use everyday activities as learning opportunities.)
    Yes, of course, I should've included that if they are interested, for sure! My son wanted to do reading eggs last year when his older sister was, so I just got the 2 week trial but even just identifying each letter was difficult for him. My daughter gets her subscription through school. I'll wait until next year when my son starts school before getting it again for him. Well, they get it from the school for a small cost anyway.

But yeh, I havebseen threads in here about it and scratch my head. The most important thing in reading is enjoyment and understanding. My daughter is on level 13, she hasn't changed reading level since the end of last year but her teacher told me her comprehension is excellent, probably the best in the class even though she is not reading in the top group.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If you type in literacy continuum in Google and look at cluster 4, that is what children should be able to do by the END of the first year of school.

it is only expected that children (in nsw anyway) be reading between level 5-8 (reading recovery) by the end of first year of school.

My son is almost 5. He is starting school next year and can't write his name (only the first letter) and the only reason he can do that is because he's done it at daycare.
    I refuse to teach sight words etc in my Kindy class. I do each them about phonics through everyday conversations and letters through everyday things that they might encounter but ONLY if they are interested in it. My previous Kindy kids are now doing great at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This seems to be becoming such a big issue...although maybe I'm just becoming aware of it now my dd is due to start school next year.

At our preschool we have parents sending their 4 year old children to Kumon coaching. Madness.

In response to this the preschool had a school readiness information session with kindergarten teachers from local schools attending. They couldn't stress enough that the most important skills that children need when starting school are social and independence skills. Things that are handy to know apart from this are correct pencil grip, being able to recognise their written name and being able to cut with scissors. All of the teachers stressed that if you want to do one extra thing with your children it would be just to read to them every day.

The teachers who attended also said that usually by the end of term 1 or 2 and certainly by the end of the year, all the kids had equalised anyway.

Unfortunately none of the families who needed to hear this attended the evening.

This is an issue I feel strongly about. I feel alot of the time some parents around where I live, when they say "I only want what's best for my child" actually mean "i want my child to be better than the other children". It is such a shame that competitiveness at school is starting so early. School is about so much more than coming top of the class.

Ok rant over.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaAndToast For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (30-03-2015),samantha81  (30-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaAndToast View Post
    This seems to be becoming such a big issue...although maybe I'm just becoming aware of it now my dd is due to start school next year.

At our preschool we have parents sending their 4 year old children to Kumon coaching. Madness.

In response to this the preschool had a school readiness information session with kindergarten teachers from local schools attending. They couldn't stress enough that the most important skills that children need when starting school are social and independence skills. Things that are handy to know apart from this are correct pencil grip, being able to recognise their written name and being able to cut with scissors. All of the teachers stressed that if you want to do one extra thing with your children it would be just to read to them every day.

The teachers who attended also said that usually by the end of term 1 or 2 and certainly by the end of the year, all the kids had equalised anyway.

Unfortunately none of the families who needed to hear this attended the evening.

This is an issue I feel strongly about. I feel alot of the time some parents around where I live, when they say "I only want what's best for my child" actually mean "i want my child to be better than the other children". It is such a shame that competitiveness at school is starting so early. School is about so much more than coming top of the class.

Ok rant over.
    I too have meetings with schools and hold kindergarten information sessions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm new to this as well but can I ask the teachers a question - DS had his interview for his school last week ( to start kindy next year , he's 5 in October) and they tested him!

We had no idea what to expect at the interview but she asked him to identify letters, count, colours, shapes, showed him pictures, asked him to count blocks and name body parts - they said it was to see if he was ready for school and she said he got all but 1 question wrong - is that test a standard school readiness test?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I'm new to this as well but can I ask the teachers a question - DS had his interview for his school last week ( to start kindy next year , he's 5 in October) and they tested him!

We had no idea what to expect at the interview but she asked him to identify letters, count, colours, shapes, showed him pictures, asked him to count blocks and name body parts - they said it was to see if he was ready for school and she said he got all but 1 question wrong - is that test a standard school readiness test?
    Was it a private school?