+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HSG...what to expect?

I have to book an HSG soon and have heard it can be quite painful afterwards for some. I am insanely busy at work at the moment and really don't want to take any more time off than necessary.

What are people's experiences with having HSG's? Is it something I will be able to drive and go to work after or should I try and work from home that day?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found it very painful during the procedure but no pain at all afterwards. But i did feel a bit shaky for a few hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I struggled with the procedure itself. I had taken ibuprofen and panadeine prior on recommendation from my FS, which I did. The doctor and nurse were very kind though in talking me through it. The worst bit for me was when they inflated the balloon of the catheter in my cervix. I just about hit the roof. Other than that it was just like bad period cramps. I was a bit crampy for the rest of the night, but nothing major. I drove myself home and then went to work that night as usual. I'm just lucky to work in a place with easy access to hot packs and pain relief!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was terrified about mine, as my one remaining tube was ( we thought) blocked. I was told it would be more painful if the tube was blocked. As it turned out I felt no pain whatsoever. I don't handle pain very well, so was petty happy about that! The test also found my tube was completely clear, which was a lovely bonus!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a pp has said, the insertion of the balloon catheter was the worst for me too - about 5sec of cramping pain, pretty intense. Then cramping pain during the procedure (took less than 10 min all up).
    Afterwards I was fine but I'm glad I had the rest of the day off to rest up.
    I'd suggest scheduling for the arvo & taking the rest of the day off if possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I found it quite painful tbh when they inflated the balloon. I didn't even feel him insert it or did I feel the dye but I would describe it as a pretty bad period pain/contraction that doesn't build but hits that painful high bit instantly (does that make sense?)

Once it was inflated it was only a couple of mins and they moved me around to get the images and it was done. I spotted the tiniest bit and had some mild cramping afterwards but the inflation was the worst bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I didn't find it too bad. Like others have said, when they inflated the balloon I started cramping immediately and it was quite painful. Like a really bad period. After that I had mild cramping on and off the rest of the day and a little bit of spotting.

I was advised to take nurofen before the procedure which I did, and I think I took some later in the day too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was expecting the worst but it was just uncomfortable. Not painful at all and over really quickly. Everyone is so different, hope you don't have too much pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep - I was totally worked up and terrified beforehand but actually found it fine in the end. Uncomfortable, yes, but not terrible by any means. I went straight back to work afterwards no worries. I think it is different for everyone - I hope it all goes well for you. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your experiences! I might try and work from home that day...just in case.