+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to have a plan. Im a casual worker doing fulltime hours so having another child eventually I will need to take time off. My DS is in childcare 5days a week so by next year he'll be in school however my previous miscarriage to this we were surprised by twins i wouldve got the 18weeks paid parental thing centrelink had offered however I found that buying coles/myer/target essentially universal gift cards would've worked a treat. I started buying before we fell pregnant and due to the cards not expiring for 2 years i knew it would be safe. At 50-100$ a fortnight it quicky adds up and I could use the parental leave for childcare and my car loan and bills. Its something I'm doing in prep for our future bundle still. Being able to use the cards to do groceries and at places such as target will work out perfect for us.

Hope that helps?
    Last edited by Jalapeño; 24-04-2015 at 12:08. Reason: forgot to add they were giftcards

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jalapeño For This Useful Post:

TortoiseNotTheHare  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Tortoisenothehare I completely understand. I worry about money too. At the rate we're going, by the time we actually conceive, all our savings will have gone on IVF and we'll be broke. I know we're lucky that we started out with savings so can afford to keep going with IVF unlike a lot of people, but that money was supposed to be for a house deposit and to help set us up to raise a family. So as it is, we continue to rent a daggy unit, and all our money goes on medical bills. Ah well. I rationalise it by thinking that there's no point in buying a family home if it means we can't afford to do the treatment to achieve a family to put in it! I guess we'll just have to make it work somehow if/when the time comes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsChino For This Useful Post:

TortoiseNotTheHare  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My works pays 12 weeks paid parental leave, which I can take part time. Add on 18 weeks from the go t, and I've got 42 weeks paid at minimum wage or a bit higher. We'll start stocking up on nappies and other any things when I'm pregnant. We have so many clothes and things from DD, that if we have a girl, we won't need much of anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseNotTheHare View Post
    @Chunkydunks it's not always easy but you will get there! What was your goal and by when? Sorry my memory is shocking!

So I had a mild freak out last night. I'm suddenly worried about affording the kids that we want. We don't have massive debt (just 2 cars we are paying off). Suddenly with the expense of full time childcare it all looks very scary.

So tell me - how is everyone preparing financially? How much do you think a baby will add into the expense category of a budget sheet? Anyone that can share how they manage it and on what sort of income??? Silently freaking out.
    I need to loose about 60kg but I don't have a time frame. It's too big a number to put a time frame on really. I'd be happy to lose half of it and then start TTC but even that's a big number. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but it's just getting me down at the moment.

As for preparing...I'm now on carer's payments for DH so there isn't a lot of preparing I can do. We still have DS's cot and a few other things but we'd need to layby a car seat and pram when it actually happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

I joined the thread when it started but haven't really followed since sorry I was hoping we would be successful in this past cycle but I'm forced back into the waiting room... Lucky it looks like it's an ok place to be

Not sure when we will get another shot at this baby biz but looking forward to following along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Chunkydunks try not to be so hard on yourself. Motivation, weight loss and TTC is hard work. When you are ready you will get the motivation and get going.
    @MrsChino I'm thinking trying next month is going to be the only way. I don't think I'll want to put it off.
    @TortoiseNotTheHare financially you just make it work! Things that made it easier for us was stocking up on nappies and wipes during pregnancy. Anyway you could work towards paying out one car loan before you fall pregnant or have a baby? It may not be much but even an extra $100-200 a week helps instead of on the car? I like the idea of the gift cards too, that's a great idea for groceries, clothes, baby supplies etc.
    I also budget around every bill that needs to be paid so every week money automatically goes to electricity, gas, water, phone etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    I need to loose about 60kg but I don't have a time frame. It's too big a number to put a time frame on really. I'd be happy to lose half of it and then start TTC but even that's a big number. I'm sure it'll happen eventually but it's just getting me down at the moment.

As for preparing...I'm now on carer's payments for DH so there isn't a lot of preparing I can do. We still have DS's cot and a few other things but we'd need to layby a car seat and pram when it actually happens.
    I would start setting smaller weight loss goals. Aim for 5% of your body weight. Once you achieve that, set another small goal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    I would start setting smaller weight loss goals. Aim for 5% of your body weight. Once you achieve that, set another small goal
    I do have smaller goals. The first is to fit back into my other jeans. They're a size smaller than the ones that fit at the moment so surely it's not a huge ask from myself. The net will be 100kg. At that point I can use the exercise bike (it only has a 100kg weight limit) and I can buy myself some new clothes lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TTC Waiting Room

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better about the finances thing because I spent the afternoon working out a budget and savings plan over the next 3 years. I had to estimate some things so it was a rough budget but it definitely helped. I've sort of come up with a figure that I would like to see in our safety net account. I have this thing about having a little nest egg of funds in case something happens. Looks like if we save well enough between DP and I, we will be able to have 15months of with bub. DP will then go back full time if we need her too (part time if we can) and I will try to cut down to 4 days a week (won't affect my salary) and mum has kindly agreed to play child care when she can too. Hopefully bub will be in childcare only 3 days a week. Who knows but the main thing is I have worked out what it will look like worst case scenario and best case too. Feeling much better.
    @Chunkydunks - I also felt overwhelmed and kinda thought yeah one day but I told myself I wanted to lose it to have this baby. I've now lost 16.5kgs and the time has flown. It's been hard but I only started on 19/03 so it's not even been that long 😀 you can do it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feeling pretty defeated right now. Ive had to explain to my partner what I'm feeling (just incase). And I'm in pain. I just want to stop bleeding and this to be over so I can move forward. If it was one big day of it I can understand, but really 4weeks of this on and off bs. Ughhhh I'm sorry guys. Vent over