+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    #Update.
    We are in the process of pulling him out. He is not presently attending class but administratively we are going through the process. Although I was led to believe he would be in a special ed programme, he was placed in a main****** class. I was then assured that he'd have one on one with a special needs teacher aide. I made daily inquiries as to his progress via his class teacher and the aide and was always told that he was doing great.

I have only just found out via a concerned teacher not in his class who called me at home that he has been suffering. He's been in main****** and not in his area as I was led to believe and during play time and eating time he's been in the midst of a very busy junior school population: very confusing and distressing for him. And the thought of this just makes me sick with grief. All this time I was being told things were fine, that he was eating with a few other kids in a private area, that he's been doing great and I've been really watching him for signs otherwise but nothing has jumped out at me.

Now I've been told that due to a staffing shortage he's been in main****** for a few weeks but the concerned teacher had advised me that it was distressing to watch him try to cope. I'm beyond livid I'm just feeling hopeless right now but am writing this so in case anyone in a similar situation reads this then they'll know that schools will whitewash anything and to trust your gut and dig further. Like I should have done.

Not sure where this schooling road is going but we're actively investigating other options. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. I am in Qld but am seriously contemplating a move back to SA for this reason (as well as NDIS which is a separate issue not related to this). Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Wiccan, I have been told that Qld used to have this about five years ago or so but that it was given the chop in favour of Prep which is now rigidly curriculum based and governed by government policy and is not play based at all.

So in Qld it's day care, then kindy from 3-5 then Prep at 5-6 then Year 1 and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    In our school there is a transition year before kindy. Is that available to you?? Its structured more like school but with more play.

The small class sizes is why I chose the school. Its a moderate fee private school. But well worth it. There is only 15 in her class how cool is that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is 3 and in the year before 'pre-prep' which is considered kindy.

We had orientation a few weeks ago. Both the room he is in now and also the pre-prep are mostly still play based learning. This year they do not have to sit and learn - next year they do have a little more structure.

So far DS has done really well. He had a little trouble going into a room with more kids but seems to have settled and is learning lots.

There are kindy and childcare centres that do have different methods of learning.

Also for me DS seems to be a little more sensitive and needs more confidence boosting. The environment he is in has helped inmensely.

Some kids will probably be able to start school fine without kindy (that could be your DS!) But my DS just needs it for his development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    #Update.
    We are in the process of pulling him out. He is not presently attending class but administratively we are going through the process. Although I was led to believe he would be in a special ed programme, he was placed in a main****** class. I was then assured that he'd have one on one with a special needs teacher aide. I made daily inquiries as to his progress via his class teacher and the aide and was always told that he was doing great.

I have only just found out via a concerned teacher not in his class who called me at home that he has been suffering. He's been in main****** and not in his area as I was led to believe and during play time and eating time he's been in the midst of a very busy junior school population: very confusing and distressing for him. And the thought of this just makes me sick with grief. All this time I was being told things were fine, that he was eating with a few other kids in a private area, that he's been doing great and I've been really watching him for signs otherwise but nothing has jumped out at me.

Now I've been told that due to a staffing shortage he's been in main****** for a few weeks but the concerned teacher had advised me that it was distressing to watch him try to cope. I'm beyond livid I'm just feeling hopeless right now but am writing this so in case anyone in a similar situation reads this then they'll know that schools will whitewash anything and to trust your gut and dig further. Like I should have done.

Not sure where this schooling road is going but we're actively investigating other options. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. I am in Qld but am seriously contemplating a move back to SA for this reason (as well as NDIS which is a separate issue not related to this). Thanks.
    Sorry to ask, but is your little boy special needs? I didn't get that from your initial post.

Either way, being extremely distressed is not nice and I don't blame you for wanting to take him out.

Did you get the chance to be a parent helper for a few hours to make observations yourself? My da started at 4 but we were invited to come spend time in the classroom whenever we wanted to help as well as obviously watch how your own child interacts/behaves.

Hugs OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Misho. Yes, our boy has ASD. We are planning to return to SA.